ProPixel 2D - v1.51 Update

Community Forums/Showcase/ProPixel 2D - v1.51 Update

Snarty(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi everyone,

Well, ProPixel is slowly growing in stature, and with this I have been motivated to add even more and ensure it runs as bug free as humanly possible with a WinOS ;)

Most notable inclusions since v1.33 are dual Image slots, dockable Brush Manipulation window, Drag and Drop functionality (including Dragging from a Webpage DIRECT to ProPixel) and Tooltips, plus many more. Please read the "Version History.txt" file for a full rundown of all fixes, additions and changes.

Anyway grab ProPixel v1.51 now!
Download & Showcase

Thank you to everyone so far who are supporting myself and ProPixel.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2003) [#2]
Snarty -

last time I looked there was no way to draw animations in pro pixel, which for me is a major drawback in an otherwise top notch package. Any plans to implement it?

Snarty(Posted 2003) [#3]
Hi, 0DFEx

Well, I will be starting on ProPixel Animator sometime this week or next, I estimate about 6 months development time, but, there should be some pre-release beta demos before then. It will be based around the core eliments of ProPixel with two extra tabs (Anim and Sprite). Both tabs with be fully featured with tools designed to aid each area. Not to mention being able to easily pass images to and from each area. (and yes onion skinning will be there)

Following that I have ProPixel Studio planned, but more on that another time ;)

I'm pleased you like this standard version though :)

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2003) [#4]
"(and yes onion skinning will be there)"

Ah ha, you read my mind! Thanks for the reply, good luck with it and I look forward to a demo.

Will pro-pixel animator be a separate product from pro-pixel?

Snarty(Posted 2003) [#5]
Hi, yes PP Animator is a seperate product, likewise so is PP Studio. These are the 3 products planned for the ProPixel range, although, don't rule out a 3D range either ;)

Snarty(Posted 2003) [#6]
Quick bug-fix update and I threw in Gradient and Pattern fill for good measure. Full list is Below.

v1.52 - Saturday 20th November 2003

New: Gradient and Brush Pattern Fill
New: Fill Settings

Trial: Changed sleep mode settings for minimize etc

Fixed: Save/Load Palette in the Palette Menu
Fixed: Bugs with Floodfill Code
Fixed: Magnify Buttons
Fixed: Mix and Saturate brush mode short cuts
Fixed: Palette Issues after 4bit Reduction
Fixed: Bug with Dual Image Slot System (again, sigh)

v1.51 - Monday 17th November 2003

New!: ToolTips for graphical buttons
New!: Drag And Drop Enabled Loading

Fixed: Major Bug with SaveAs file requester operations
Fixed: Some graphic glitches

semar(Posted 2003) [#7]
Hiya Snarty,
first of all, congrats for such a nice piece of software.

I've donwloaded the 1.52 version and I find your application really handy.

I have some feature request however...

1) While using the crop tool, and pressing the 'delete' key on the keyboard, the app bombed me out, with a message 'invalid panel' or something like that. I've tryed several time to replicate the error, but no chance.

2) would be really nice if you can add another behaviour while using the brush. Right now, the brush is always drawn with its background, while would be useful if the brush is drawn using the brush transparency - I mean, the transparent color of the brus should not be drawn.

If I have a brush with a sprite and a pink background, and I draw such brush on a image which has a green background, then there's no way to paint the brush without its background rectangle which surrounds the brush itself. Of course, if the image background has the same color of the brush background, you don't see it..

So, with the 'matte' tool, the brush appears to have the transparency background only if the image background has the same brush background color - I hope I explained it in a comprehensive way..!!

To clarify, you know that in Blitz, using drawimage, you can draw an image on any backround, while the images transparent color is not drawn. This is the feature I would like to see in ProPixel..

3) You use CTRL-Z to undo. This is valid on a UK keyboard. On a german keyboard, the Z key is located at the Y place, while the Y key is located at the Z place. So, to undo using a german keyboard - which is what I'm using now - I have to press CTRL-Y instead of CTRL-Z.

So, a nice feature would be the possibility to redefine the hot keys, and also to assign any possible function tool to any key combination.

4) When I select a brush mode, I have no way to know which one is selected, unless I don't draw the brush on the image.

Would be nice to see, in the status panel, a short but comprehensive description about the tool currently in use.

Also, if I use the nuber keys (1-0) to select a brush, if I press the number button twice, the brush is displayed with a filled rectangle. Pressing the same number again, the brush returns to be displayed as 'normal'.

5) The filled rectangle tool does not work like the normal rectangle tool, I mean, while you move the mouse, the filled rectangle grows in both x and y directions, while in the normal rectangle tool, the rectangle dimension is locked to the mouse position, as it should be.

6) ProPixel seems to work only on two images at the same time. Is this only a demo limitation ?

7) Would be nice to select a brush from a list of brush images, instead of loading from disk each time.

Thanks for your attention,
Sergio.

Snarty(Posted 2003) [#8]
Hi Sergio, cheers for the feedback, ok, here goes :)

1) While using the crop tool, and pressing the 'delete' key on the keyboard, the app bombed me out,

Strange one, I'll have a play with that tool and see if I can hunt down the possible clash.

2) would be really nice if you can add another behaviour while using the brush. Right now, the brush is always drawn with its background,

Ok, generally speaking, what ever the colour is held by the Right mouse button, that will be used for transparency. To change this after cutting a brush or loading one, Select "Brush > Brush Manipulation", when the window pops up you will see various brush options, one will be change trasparency, click that button and which ever colour is held by the right mouse button will become the new transparency. Also, click "Dock", many people seem to like all windows Tabbed.

3) You use CTRL-Z to undo. This is valid on a UK keyboard.

Sure thing, I'll look at a better method for this.

4) When I select a brush mode, I have no way to know which one is selected,

Will do, I will add it in brackets after the file name in the title bar, or, in the status bar.

5) The filled rectangle tool does not work like the normal rectangle tool...

Hmm, seems to work fine here, only the filled square and square tool behave as explained. Ensure you have Filled Rect selected. Currently I'm unable to repeate this.

6) ProPixel seems to work only on two images at the same time. Is this only a demo limitation ?

This is currently a version restriction, as ProPixel2D is the low end product in a range that is being developed over the next year or so, ProPixel Animator and ProPixel Studio will be far more flexible. PP2D is aimed to be simple to use, though, don't rule out full multi-image loading in future updates as it's bigger brothers will have this.

7) Would be nice to select a brush from a list of brush images

As mentioned before, this is only a version restriction, and, as with full multi-image support don't rule out PP2D eventually having multi-brush support.

I hope this answers your questions, and I'm pleased you like it so far. :)