Tattoo 1.2 now available

Community Forums/Showcase/Tattoo 1.2 now available

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi all,

The Tattoo texturing tool is now at release 1.2:

(Texture Size 256 x 256)

New for 1.2:-
* Added the much requested Smear Brush
* Set the wireframe view on the Texture Window to be shown only when the Wireframe view is on the model.
* Added the ability to reload altered texures (i.e if you've doctored a texture in PhotoShop press ctrl-insert and it will be blasted into your model. All texture files are CRCed to check for changes. Only those you have modified externally will be reloaded.
* Set Value button has been moved to the Edit menu to make way for a bigger brush view. (also F4 Hotkey)
* You now have the option of turning off the 'This texture is missing' warning on loading a model. Set this from the config options in the edit menu.
* The Texture View Window no longer keeps disappearing ;).
* Fixed some UV accuracy issues with seams and the 'Tattoo Image' brush.
* Tidied up some inteface elements.
* Improved the speed at which surfaces are cleared. It should be much faster to load different models now, but it will still hang around in the background on shut down for a few seconds while it cleans up properly

Check it out

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#2]
What an excellent tool! Will get round to buying it when i have more cash :D

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#3]
(double post)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#4]
A fantastic Tool!

Nebula(Posted 2003) [#5]
Wow. This is brilliant.

Some notes after using the tool:

When drawing and editing I kept getting stains on the model. This was caused becourse I changed the color and had not released the mouse before entering the canvas.
Could you create it so mousedown is ignored when leaving the panel?

When selecting a slider value you can only use the slider knob. It really like pressing on a avarage value.

With the smallest brush sizes nothing is drawn.

When zooming out the model dissapears. (A long distance view of a model would be nice :))

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#6]
Thanks for the info Nebula, I'll take a look at sorting those issues out.

Skitchy(Posted 2003) [#7]
Quick question :
Suppose I have a radiation symbol bitmap (for example), and I want to put it square in the middle of the guys forehead(!) Is there a tool for this in Tattoo? Something along the lines of :
- Pick a position on the flat bitmap (separate window) where the brush will start.
- As you paint onto the model, the position of the brush on the model updates the position of the brush 'pickup' on the bitmap.
- The pixels underneath the brush on the bitmap are transposed onto the model.

This would allow pre-made textures to be tranfered onto models with ease. Sorry if this feature already exists - if it does I'll be buying Tattoo very soon :)

Cheers.

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#8]
Two ways to do it..

1. Press F5 and load the image as a texture guide. Press space to switch between it and the model and use the clone brush to do what you suggested.

2. You could switch to Tattoo Image brush. Right Click to load the image (with whatever settings) and then position it on his head, left click to imprint.

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#9]
Few WIP notes/suggestions:

"Solid brush" and "Spray brush" don't work at all for some reason; they just won't paint anything... all other modes work OK.

[edit] OK - it was the "Force texture to VRAM" option that did this... after disabling it and restarting, "Solid brush" and "Spray brush" work now OK...

I have rectangular texture (512*256) but the texture window is square... would be nice to have an option to make that rectangular too? And maybe also "scale texture window" x2, x4, .5x, .25x too if the texture is real big or small?

Would be nice to have also a true perspective view mode for just viewing the model as boxy objects look really funny now although I guess that you have use this method for code/UV reasons...

Also it would ne REALLY nice if Tattoo could remember the directory where it was when you loaded your model last time... :)

AND if you could somehow also separate model bits like .LWO layers (show/hide) as I have now "part2" duplicated in layers 2 and 3 so that they are the same but are in different positions - and the layer 2 position obscures totally the "part1" that is in the layer 1...

And numerical/exact setting of model axis rotation values would be very nice too, and/or maybe ability to set rotation rotation snap value (like 5 deg etc)

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#10]
Hey Lee. There's something very wrong with the demo version of tatto version 1.2. It doesn't work with the force texture to V-RAM mode. I know this work, cause my current projects use this for mirrors and such.

But, when i turn the option off, the brush leaves behind a blurred representation of the paint cursor, it appears square, even if the brush is selected as round. Any ideas? Your last demo version worked fine for me.

Thanks

[EDIT] Solid brush, spray brush and triangle brush doesn't work the rest are ok[/EDIT]

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#11]
Hey, here's a screemshot to illustrate the problem. This is with the V-RAM flag off. All brushes work, but i get the outline of the cursor being painted too.

[edit] got rid of pic so ppl don't wait ages for the page to load[/edit]

No problem in V-RAM mode on, but the three brushes mentioned above don't work. Thanks for your time:)

[EDIT] Your version 0.98 demo works absolutely fine, must be the new version ?? [/EDIT]

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#12]
The rendering system has changed quite a bit since 0.98 (mainly due to speed issues). Most problems now appear to be driver related (Nvidia being the worst culprit followed by Matrox!). It should also be noted that Tattoo is not really going to work properly under less than 24 Bit Desktop bit depth (I have mine set to 32 by default).

That being said, your system specs are almost identical to mine!

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#13]
Ok, i'll try and update my drivers to 44.03 if they aren't. Mmm, there at 4.25.00.26. Does that mean my version is 25.00?

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#14]
Hmmm, they may be manufacturers drivers..

Mine are 6.14.10.4403

So it looks like your are pretty old..

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#15]
how do i find the version number?

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#16]
right click my computer, go to properties, hardware, device mangler, click the + next to display adapters, double click your adapter, then click driver

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#17]
All fixed :) thanks

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#18]
@ Mustang

I have rectangular texture (512*256) but the texture window is square... would be nice to have an option to make that rectangular too? And maybe also "scale texture window" x2, x4, .5x, .25x too if the texture is real big or small?

It was originally set like that for performance reasons. Might be able to do something with it now though... :)

Would be nice to have also a true perspective view mode for just viewing the model as boxy objects look really funny now although I guess that you have use this method for code/UV reasons...

Yes less perspective gives less distortion when using Tattoo image. I suppose I could swap in and out of perspective mode when using this feature.

Also it would ne REALLY nice if Tattoo could remember the directory where it was when you loaded your model last time... :)

I thought it did... Ah you mean between sessions..ok.

AND if you could somehow also separate model bits like .LWO layers (show/hide) as I have now "part2" duplicated in layers 2 and 3 so that they are the same but are in different positions - and the layer 2 position obscures totally the "part1" that is in the layer 1...

Sensible suggestion, but the model is collapsed into a single layer on load. I could do so by texture or selected triangles though.

And numerical/exact setting of model axis rotation values would be very nice too, and/or maybe ability to set rotation rotation snap value (like 5 deg etc)

Simple enough.. :)