New ParticleWorks Update!

Community Forums/Showcase/New ParticleWorks Update!

gosse(Posted 2003) [#1]
http://www.blitzcoder.com/cgi-bin/showcase/showcase_showentry.pl?id=gosse11052003065955&comments=no

New update including:
-Removed all entityclass$ checks and moved it to a boolean when the emitter is generated, giving a small speed update (1ms+ for 750 particles on a 1.4GHz)
-Most properties are no longer inherited to the particle, it accesses it directly to the pointer, so if one has changed, it will affect the particle
-PW_UpdateParticles() now returns the number of particles active
-Added some precalculations to speed up processes, gained around 1ms again
-Particles can now have a life spread, so they don't always have all the same life
-Function calls changed: PW_SetEmitter()
-Will no longer try to set a texture to the particle if none are set
-Added 2 demos: one that shows how can you can change parameters at run time, without erasing and recreating new emitters and another one (that I find particularly cool) that shows custom meshes more clearly

You know you need it! :P

Wulde(Posted 2003) [#2]
This is really good!

Thank you!

Prost

Wulde

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#3]
Is this single surface? Sounds good :)

gosse(Posted 2003) [#4]
It is not single-surface. If you want a simple and powerful single-surface particle system, you better look for EPS2 (Eole's Particle System 2).
It can't really be single-surface as it uses: custom meshes (that would be possible but..), animated textures, different alphas, etc etc. It would not be practical and efficient to be single-surface (and very hard to do on top of that).

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#5]
Animated textures isn't too hard to implement, neither is different alphas. I'm not tryin to pick holes in your current system :) Single surface is alot faster. It's honestly not THAT much harder to do. :D Nice work tho

Eole(Posted 2003) [#6]
Sorry but i 'm engine is base on sprite . . .

gosse(Posted 2003) [#7]
OOps, somebody mislead me then ;) Sorry about that Eole.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2003) [#8]
Excellent Work Jocelyn...

The demo is verrry coool, I'm looking at the code and docs now...

the effects are great...

... Thanks

--Mike