N'JABE - Not Just Another Blitz Editor

Community Forums/Showcase/N'JABE - Not Just Another Blitz Editor

Roccia(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi everybody,

I've added a Worklog entry for my new project, a new FREE IDE for Blitz 3D.

Just in case you are interested...

Wiebo(Posted 2003) [#2]
good luck man!

Caff(Posted 2003) [#3]
FREE IDE

That's the spirit! Look forward to trying it.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2003) [#4]
Go for it!

Kuron(Posted 2003) [#5]
Somebody is NOT trying to nickle and dime the community to death and actually support the community and help others? Amazing, I can't wait to see it! ;c)

Warren(Posted 2003) [#6]
Free is only free if you don't value your time. Protean costs money and it's worth every penny. Heads and shoulders above any of the other 'free IDE's available.

I hope this turns out well, but most 'free' projects tend not to have enough motivation inherent in them to see the project actually completed.

The author eventually loses interest, focus, or both and drops it out of boredom.

Kuron(Posted 2003) [#7]
Protean costs money and it's worth every penny. Heads and shoulders above any of the other 'free IDE's available.
Hmm... Free IDE or $$ IDE that has 25+MB runtimes? No contest there.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#8]
Hmm... Free IDE or $$ IDE that has 25+MB runtimes? No contest there.

Yeah, because you'll never need the .NET runtime for any other apps.

You know, walking is free. Why would anyone need a car that costs $$? I feel so liberated!

Paradox7(Posted 2003) [#9]
There should be a open source project started for a Blitz IDE, so that way if one decides they are tired with it, the IDE just doesn't die with the author, or updates take half a year :P

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2003) [#10]
There should be a open source project started for a Blitz IDE, so that way if one decides they are tired with it, the IDE just doesn't die with the author, or updates take half a year :P

Or we could always shell out the cash for one of the decent editors, and everybody would be better off. :)

Paradox7(Posted 2003) [#11]
like taking the easy way out eh :P

Wiebo(Posted 2003) [#12]
I've bought Ultra Edit, customised it, and never looked back =] Good stuff takes time to develop, and it's fine by me to ask a little bit in return.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#13]
I use the blitz ide. I only need what it provides.

Koriolis(Posted 2003) [#14]
Wiebo, if you like UltraEdit, have alook at ConText. It's free, and very good. The few I have seen from it so far is better than UE.

Wiebo(Posted 2003) [#15]
It's good, but I won't abandon an application I've bought and suits me fine =] Even if the other app is free.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#16]
I use the blitz ide. I only need what it provides.

And looking at your web site, I see you have no games that are actually released.

*ducks*

;)

Jim Teeuwen(Posted 2003) [#17]
/me sings the Protean Song

*Heya, heya , heyahooo, get ur protean, stop whining and gooo!*

Kuron(Posted 2003) [#18]
Yeah, because you'll never need the .NET runtime for any other apps
Exactly! And I sure as hell won't download them for a frigging code editor, lol.

It is a shame there has not been a really good $$ code editor. Ed's seems to be the best looking $$ one so far. Protean is so bloated with features you will never use. Call me old fashioned, but when I want a code editor, I want a code editor. I don't need something with 100s of features that have no relation to "editing code". Thats why N'JABE sounds great.

Imphenzia(Posted 2003) [#19]
You'll find a hard time avoiding .NET runtimes in the future, I'm sure =) You may even end up like a friend of mine who still to this date fights for his rights to use a keyboard without the microsoft / windows keys =)

Also, another idea may be to wait and see if N'JABE actually reaches a release stage before deciding which one to go for =)

Warren(Posted 2003) [#20]
Exactly! And I sure as hell won't download them for a frigging code editor, lol.

Let me know how the year 2000 is working out for you.

Kuron(Posted 2003) [#21]
You'll find a hard time avoiding .NET runtimes in the future,
I have never shared MS's philosophy that computers should change to being dumb terminals connected to the net and all software used is accessed through the net. .NET was their first step in this initiative and it was hilarious to watch so many of the companies drop MS languages and look for alternatives. "Longhorn" is the second step in MS's "initiative" and it is alone enough to scare the hell out of most people, as the development whitepapers are some of the scariest things you will read.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#22]
and it was hilarious to watch so many of the companies drop MS languages and look for alternatives.

Got any links or examples? In reference to companies that matter, preferably.

JoeRetro(Posted 2003) [#23]
from Imphenzia

You'll find a hard time avoiding .NET runtimes in the future, I'm sure =) You may even end up like a friend of mine who still to this date fights for his rights to use a keyboard without the microsoft / windows keys =)

Really? Where have you been the last 2 years since .NET has been released? To this date, I have not needed the bloated, ridiculas 28meg insatllation...??

Imphenzia(Posted 2003) [#24]
I suppose for modem and anti-MS (oh, and UK broadband) users it would be a great deal =) I do apologise.

I know .NET is nothing new, and I didn't state how far ahead in the future .NET routines probably will be part of the standard setup. I am just amused at this discussion.

<Death>(Posted 2003) [#25]
.NET will be the downfall for MS. Business will switch to Linux, Apple, whatever, to avoid it. Government in Germany is already replacing most MS installations with Linux.
With the .NET & Longhorn iniative MS is shooting itself into the foot... Bytecode (i.e source) would easily be reverse engineered and no commercial venture wants to publish their source..

What business wants any app running (even one over the Inet) to access its pool of data, especailly data it might not want accessible to just any development company, or worse, any hacker exploiting the multitude of security holes an open-network-OS MUST have...

If you are amused about .NET, you should read about Longhorn, Palladium etc and you'll be afraid of the future '-)

Kuron(Posted 2003) [#26]
I am just amused at this discussion.
Nah, what is amusing is the kids who follow the "bloat because you can" approach to programming. This is how you end up with such silly things as a text editor with 25+ MB runtimes.

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2003) [#27]
It is a shame there has not been a really good $$ code editor. Ed's seems to be the best looking $$ one so far. Protean is so bloated with features you will never use. Call me old fashioned, but when I want a code editor, I want a code editor. I don't need something with 100s of features that have no relation to "editing code". Thats why N'JABE sounds great.

That's funny, you seem to be such an expert on Protean's bloated feature set, and yet you haven't bothered to try it yet?

Imphenzia(Posted 2003) [#28]
The most recent mouse I bought claimed to require 13MB to be installed =) And all that does is move the cursor around the screen. If it actually used all 13 megs is unconfirmed :)

Kuron(Posted 2003) [#29]
you seem to be such an expert on Protean's bloated feature set,
They have plenty of info and shots on the site.

Roccia you are on to something good, as soon as you posted the kids popped in to start pimping the $$ programs.

Roccia(Posted 2003) [#30]
I just want you to know that i'm writing NJABE just because Blitz IDE doesn't meet my necessities and i've not found other ide that behave just like I would like. I want code completition, code insight and I would like to have OO Functionality in blitz3d, just because I'm so used in OO programming.

I'm a programmer and I usually do programs to make money.But I love develop so much and in my spare time I like to build something I like and not something someone want me to do....

I will release it for free just because for me NJABE is a pleisure and i want do share it with others people.

Probably will not be "THE" best IDE for Blitz but will be what I need to better develop in Blitz3D...

See you soon for the first beta release!!!

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2003) [#31]

So? Lots of features doesn't necessarily mean bloat.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#32]
Death
.NET will be the downfall for MS. Business will switch to Linux, Apple, whatever, to avoid it.

Thanks! I haven't laughed like that in a long time.

You should take that act on the road, really.

White Eagle

So tell us which features qualify as 'bloat' in your book then. And before you begin, here's a hint : just because you don't want something, doesn't make it bloat. Make sure the features you list are truly worthless in the realm of blitz coding.

Kanati(Posted 2003) [#33]
Roccia you are on to something good, as soon as you posted the kids popped in to start pimping the $$ programs.

I don't think you get the clue there eagle... I wish Roccia all the best with his IDE and if it's better than Protean I'll probably use it. But jackasses that refuse to buy something someone has put a ton of time and effort into. Those that just try to tear it, and the programmer, down because they are trying to make a few dollars off of thier project need to take a great big old STFU pill and choke on it. I don't understand why the hobbyist programming community thinks they should be handed every damn thing they get on a silver platter by the other programmers for free. I have handed out a few freebies and have never charged for anything blitz related. My choice. But I'll be damned if I DO spend upwards of six months to a year on a project if I'm going to let some whiny little git try to tear me and mine down if I don't give it away for free.

Roccia... I hope your IDE is great. I really do. I'll be more than happy to help you beta it, and if it's better than what I'm currently using I'll probably switch. Good luck.

Kanati

<Death>(Posted 2003) [#34]
White Eagle:

"You should take that act on the road, really."

It's already on the road, you just missed it...
Whole governments are on the bandwagon. When you're done laughing, check out the facts.

"So tell us which features qualify as 'bloat' in your book then."

BTW: Bloat refers to size, not features.

Kuron(Posted 2003) [#35]
I don't understand why the hobbyist programming community thinks they should be handed every damn thing they get on a silver platter by the other programmers for free
I don't understand it either, as I generally buy everything released that is worthy, even some things I may never actually use for a project (*cough* BVM) just because its nice to mess with and it supports people in the community.

But jackasses that refuse to buy something someone has put a ton of time and effort into
You misread something, I don't think anybody is refusing to buy something somebody put a lot of time and effort into. I am refusing to buy Protean because it has 25MB+ runtimes. Text editors do NOT need 25MB+ runtimes. Even if it did not have 25MB+ runtimes, I would not buy it based on the feature list and the screen shots. I am sorry that I do not share your "bloat because you can" approach to programming, but 25MB+ runtimes for a text editor is downright pathetic.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#36]
Whole governments are on the bandwagon. When you're done laughing, check out the facts.

You know, I can make wild claims too. It's fun but not generally productive when arguing a position. Got links?

BTW: Bloat refers to size, not features.

Yes, the runtime for .NET is large ... how is that Proteans fault again?

Kanati(Posted 2003) [#37]
You misread something, I don't think anybody is refusing to buy something somebody put a lot of time and effort into. I am refusing to buy Protean because it has 25MB+ runtimes.

Ok. Point taken. But as Epicboy stated. It's not protean's or Rob's fault that the .NET runtimes are 25 meg. And in the next version of XP (It MIGHT be in MCE for that matter), the .NET runtimes will be included with the OS. At the latest, they will be included with the OS by next year. And I *think* they are included in SP1 for XP now. Certainly they will be included with SP2. So you are going to get them irregardless of whether you WANT them or not if you are running XP.

"Bloat because you can" mentality comes from a lot of things. Compilers that no longer optimize size as well as they should... Blitz includes a whole crapload of "runtime" in it that isn't needed. Good lord! 1.8 meg for a 20 line program? Outrageous. Frankly, I couldn't care less. Any recent (within the last 3 years) system is going to have enough disk space that a few extra meg here and there is immaterial. And any modern game is going to have 50x more disk-space requirements for it's media than the executable and runtimes. It seems to me that Ultraedit's install is around 14 meg (I might be wrong, but that's what I recollect). And that's not even a .net app. And it does less than protean does in some areas.

Some people just need to crawl out of 1987 when the largest program out there was Willy Beamish on what? 7 floppies? And the average program could fit in 200k or so. Times change. People who don't get left behind and wind up wondering why they are left holding the short end of the stick.

Kanati

Kuron(Posted 2003) [#38]
It's not protean's or Rob's fault that the .NET runtimes are 25 meg.
Nobody forced the developer to use a .NET based language to make Protean. It was his own decision.

Blitz includes a whole crapload of "runtime" in it that isn't needed
Last time I checked BlitzPlus, it was less than the runtimes for VB6 or VC++ 6. Mark provides a language that creates less "bloated" exes than any MS language. I can use the "native graphics" in Blitz Plus and not need any DX or GL dependency for an application and require no additional runtimes to run my application. I would love to see MS create a language that can come close to approaching what Mark has done with "non bloat" for Blitz Plus.

Some people just need to crawl out of 1987 when the largest program out there was Willy Beamish on what?
Programmers need to remain "ethical" and not "bloat because they can. I have been having a similar discussion via email with a developer who has a nice 2D game, unfortunately he is using VC++ .NET and the DX9 SDK. 50MB+ of runtimes for a simple 2D game. People who follow this "bloat because you can" herd mentality will definitely be " left holding the short end of the stick". As you said:

Frankly, I couldn't care less
This seems to be the problem with kids today. They have no pride in their work, they have no respect for their customers and end users.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#39]
Wow.

ashmantle(Posted 2003) [#40]
people are so afraid of bloated programs, but download gigs of p0rn every month... hmmmmmm...

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#41]
You not think this one has went a wee bit OT?? The guy is announcing his project and you all start arguing about .NET.

Good luck with your editor :o)

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2003) [#42]
I also only use the Blitz IDE. the only thing it dont have that id like is the ability to edit the colour change of my own function names..

Mark how about this in a new update ????

All those other editors. are all good and fine but do you really want to be able to collapse a function to one line ? I know there must be people who love that but I just dont see the point in it.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2003) [#43]
PS .. Visual Blitz is the best out of the bunch of extra IDE's that I have checked out.. nice work.

Bouncer(Posted 2003) [#44]
Now that i've used to collapsing functions... (thanks to Ed.. I still have the old beta of visual blitz ide) ... I couldn't live without it.

simonh(Posted 2003) [#45]
I think it would be interesting to run the ide poll again...

Warren(Posted 2003) [#46]
I don't much use the function folding, but I can't work without Proteans project management window and intellisense features. Pure love.

googlemesilly(Posted 2003) [#47]
I don't know what's wrong with the original
I think it is nice and simple and efficient.
now the old darkbasic (classic) that was a bad
interface ! -lol

Kanati(Posted 2003) [#48]
AMOS.. THAT was bad. :)

Oh.... And white eagle... I'm far from being a "kid". Feeling a bit old as a matter of a fact. I'm definitely old enough to see how new programmers learn old bad habits... pass them and new bad habits they've picked up down to the next generation of programmers... Who repeat the cycle ad infinitum. I see where today's programmers in general have no idea about optimizing and if they had to write a game for the Vic20 with it's 3.5k of usable RAM, their heads would explode and they'd say it can't be done. I see programmers that have picked up so many bad habits that you could write a book about them.

But you know what? I also see that the greats of yesterday... A great many of them as a matter of a fact. With a lot fewer exceptions than I would like... Have refused to change with the times. Have tentatiously held on to the short sighted views that you are espousing... And haven't had a release in 20 years and wouldn't be able to get a publishing contract if their life depended on it. Where ARE the greats of 15-20 years ago? Still putzing away on their C64's and Apple //s most likely........

More and more languages are becoming .net compliant. From little, obscure packages to mainstream high profile packages. It's going to happen and all your whining about runtime sizes isn't going to change things one bit. You WILL have the .net runtimes on your machine eventually. It may be with an app you purchase. It may be with the next iteration of windows you upgrade to... or it might be in a "critical update" from MS. But you WILL have it on your machine or you'll be stuck in the year 2000 running yesterday's software with those great programmers from the 8-bit era who also refused to acknowledge change and adapt to it.

Kuron(Posted 2003) [#49]
It may be with an app you purchase.
Actually I would have no complaints, as the runtimes would be on the CD and not require a download ;c) I would not think twice about runtimes that size for a project of mine, if my project was being distributed on CD. I really have no problems with it for an app that TRULY needs it. You just cannot convince me that any text editor TRULY needs 25MB runtimes. If it was some big modeling package or video editing package, I would not think twice about it. But the "bloat because you can" needs to die, people are getting carried away and artificially inflating the minimum requirements for their apps for absolutely no reason. "woohoo my text editor is the best, it may have 25mb runtimes and may not be able to do everything your text editor that is only 300k with no runtimes and written in Pure BASIC does, but mine is better and awesome because it's .NEt baby, nah, nah". That is the mentality that needs to go, "bloat because you can". The right tool for the right job.

With a lot fewer exceptions than I would like... Have refused to change with the times
That is sad as can be and one of my old idols Chris Crawford is one of them. :c(

Warren(Posted 2003) [#50]
So the .NET runtime from Microsoft is 25MB, and Protean uses it, so therefore Protean is coded with a "bloat because you can" mentality.

Truly priceless.

Kuron(Posted 2003) [#51]
Truly priceless
I am sorry that you do not know how to write a text editor without using 25MB+ runtimes. Perhaps one day you will learn and then you will not feel the need to hijack somebody else's thread and make a post promoting a competing product and spit on the hard work Roccia is doing on a great looking and FREE code editor.

Although the kiddies are running their mouth off about how great .NET is and how it is the new standard, I have yet to see one of you be able to give a single reason to why 25MB runtimes are needed for a code editor. And I have yet to see any of the kiddies who are for the bloated .NET based languages explain why they are here on the boards using Blitz which is one of the least bloated languages you can find. Blitz is less bloated than ANY MS language with the exception of QBASIC. Basicly the kiddies are contradicting themselves in every single post they make, and clearly do not even understand what they are talking about, or they would not be contradicting themselves like this. If the .NET languages were so perfect, and the new "standard" you would be using them for your games, instead of Blitz. I guess you guys/gals don't like to give your EU's bloated stuff either. You guys/gals are arguing this one on your own, I am out of it.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#52]
I am out of it

You were never in it to begin with. You've provided no proof or facts to back up your claims. All you respond with is hyperbole and copying/pasting your previous replies.

If I didn't know better, I would say you were trolling the thread.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#53]
BTW, White Eagle ... the 8.0a DirectX runtime is an 11.2MB download. Does that mean Mark is writing code with the mentality of "bloat because he can"?

Snarty(Posted 2003) [#54]
Another Blitz standard IDE user here (oh and VC++ 6.0 without .NET inclusion).

Roccia, have fun with your project :o)

MarkT(Posted 2003) [#55]
Good luck Roccia.

Its great to have a choice and i thank mark sibly for making that a possibility.

I own Protean, but i use the blitz standard IDE

<Death>(Posted 2003) [#56]
Didn't want to do it, but:

EpicBoy: Get a clue...

The facts are all out there, you just have to read about them, sorry we can't do
that for you...

But all the technical pubs are full of negativity about the real idea behind .NET
and Palladium and the involved security flaws of .Net and the whole shabang.

Anyway, you're on the Inet, so use it. Since you accuse others of just spewing out
BS instead of facts, here's one for starters, I am sure you can find the others on
your own...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/2023127.stm

BHoltzman(Posted 2003) [#57]
I bought Protean IDE. I'm very happy with it. It's extremely useful and becoming more so all of the time. Rob has dedicated a lot of time and effort into creating a very well thought out product.

As with all software, the potential user is suppose to read the system requirements before using it. If the product doesn't suite your machine, then don't install it. If the product doesn't suite your budget, don't buy it.

I can't fault Protean IDE for having system resource requirements. What's 30 megs on a 40 gig hard drive? 3/4 of a percent? That's not too much of a sacrifice for a useful tool that I enjoy using.

And another point of contention is with charging for your time and expertese. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with this. If the programmer charges too much, then not enough sales will occur, and the project will fail. If the programmer charges too little, the tool becomes undervalued by users. Not enough sales will occur. And the project will most likely fail.

Look at Mark Sibly with Blitz, he made a grand point of letting people know that he wasn't getting any revenues from Blitz3d sales at idigicon. Now most users on this forum don't like Idigicon. Was it really anything more to the user than trying to support the developer? Not really.

Does anyone really think that Mark doesn't deserve the asking price for Blitz3d? Why is Mark getting money for his time and expertise any different than Rob H getting money for his time and expertise? Or any other programmer trying to sell their products? It's the same principle. It's a double standard to say one man's work deserves payment while another man's work doesn't.

Ok.. I think I'm done ranting now.

Thanks for reading.

<Death>(Posted 2003) [#58]
Couldn't agree more!

Warren(Posted 2003) [#59]
Death
The facts are all out there, you just have to read about them, sorry we can't do
that for you...

Well, no, you see, the burden of proof is on you since you're the one making the claims. But if you can't provide it, that's fine. I figured as much.

morduun(Posted 2003) [#60]
Erm, Epic, he =did= give you a link that pretty much backed up that argument. Can we all just let Protean be what Protean is and give ol Roccia here the chance to provide some solid competition?

Warren(Posted 2003) [#61]
Really? What I saw was one area of one government installing Linux. Doesn't really back up his earlier argument.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#62]
Hah! I'll release a game one of these days ;)

Figment(Posted 2003) [#63]
*pulls out his soap box and stands on it*

Figment(Posted 2003) [#64]
Yanno...I've been reading this thread and I'd say 90% of it is just petty I-am-better-then-you-bs. Who cares if an IDE is "bloated"? I can understand the whole issue behind of why and what not, but who cares. No one is forcing anyone to use it. If anyone hasn't noticed runtime "bloat" has been increasing at an exponential rate for some time now. I remember when you could code a text based rpg game with something like 40 plus hours of play and the runtime would be aroun 500k or so. Things change and unfortunately there isn't a whole lot you can do about it.

"The author eventually loses interest, focus, or both and drops it out of boredom. "

The post that the above comment was in seems to be just discouraging, I know that if I was Roccia I would read that and feel kind of deflated. Granted that it's sometimes the case, why not just give Roccia the benefit of the doubt instead of being negative?

It seems to me that some of the reason people don't release more free utilities and such is because of comments like that. I mean, hey Roccia is trying to do a service of some sorts for the community and all he did was announce it, so yea lets all flame each other in -this- thread. (I do realize I'm being somewhat of a hippocrite)

Obviously if someone wants to charge for something for their time and effort in programming something then that is their right. If you don't like the program they created, you don't have to buy it, thats how the free market works. So I don't see why anyone would even waste their time arguing about something thats full of "bloat" when they aren't even going to use it. I'm only even writing this because it seems that arguments of this type are getting somewhat prevalent on these forums.

Hell, if someone releases something for a price and you don't like it, big deal, don't buy it. If it's for free and you don't like it, don't use it, or if the author was nice enough to provide the source, change it.

As far as people wanting free software, I'm one of them and I'm proud of it, I will and do pay for software if I feel it's worth it and I can't find a simpler solution for what I want to do or am unable to do it myself. Another thing to consider, some people have no choice but to want free software due to their financial status. (Probably a touchy subject but true nonetheless.)

At any point just my $1.50.

Good luck and best wishes on the project Roccia!

Warren(Posted 2003) [#65]
Granted that it's sometimes the case, why not just give Roccia the benefit of the doubt instead of being negative?

Because I'm bitter and jaded. I've lost the rosey outlook I had in my youth, an I can no longer believe that people are filled with love and candy.

Experience has been a harsh mistress.

MarkT(Posted 2003) [#66]
Dear EpicBoy,

I have included many news articles below to back up a prevuious post about linux. I fear the you may be very very narrow minded when it comes to the current state of affairs in the linux world, and the whole IT industry as a whole. I feel obligated to inform you that your "ideas" about the propagation of linux in the IT industry are a bit faded and old. I hope that these articles will enlighten you.

Linux news articles to back up a previous post:

IBM Pushing for desktop use of linux
http://www.nwanews.com/adg/story_Business.php?storyid=47725

Linux will be cheaper in the long run:
http://www.itweb.co.za/sections/techforum/2003/0311140740.asp?O=FPMS

Novell: The linux superpower
http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/22697.html

MIddle Easts plans on using linux:
http://www.ameinfo.com/news/Detailed/31146.html

Asian first time users prefer linux:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/33963.html

Etrade is deploying linux:
ttp://www.finextra.com/fullstory.asp?id=10502

Only 40% of desktops shipe din thialand have windows on it:
http://www.linuxinsider.com/perl/story/32110.html

Oracle is devoting large amounts of money to linux support for thier products:
http://www.itweb.co.za/sections/computing/2003/0311061143.asp?A=ENS&S=Enterprise

China's governemnt wants to spend large amounts of money developing linux for governement use:
http://www.ciol.com/content/news/2003/103110508.asp

CodeWeavers make it possible to run two of the nets biggest design applications on linux with out problems:
http://news.com.com/2110-7344_3-5098169.html

Asin corporations are installing linux more then windows:
http://www.asiacomputerweekly.com/acw_ViewArt.cfm?Magid=1&Artid=21904&Catid=8&subcat=79

I would love to include more, but im at work, and because of that i can verify that another comapny uses Linux for all server needs, Amazon.com. I alos realize that this information shows very diffrent market segments, but its this diversity that makes linux a powerhouse. I will admit that Linux is not for everyone, but it gets better every week, which is more then I can say for windows. Feel free t email me at the address listed below and I would be more then happy to talk with you, or you can visit me on irc at, irc.blitzed.org, channels #blitzbasic, #blitzcoder, #binarypeople. There are also a few other people there that would be more then happy to enlighten you. I didnt write this to be mean, but a large amount of windows users have had never tried linux or they had a bad experience with it. But they forget the frustration they had when they first used windows, all it is is a learning curve. Have a nice day.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#67]
Mark

Thanks for the links.

I won't waste everyones time refuting point by point, so let's just agree to disagree. Linux is nice for servers, no question. But the home market? Not anytime soon.

Kanati(Posted 2003) [#68]
As it gets "better", meaning to me, easier for the noob-never-used-a-computer-in-their-life people... It also gets more unstable. I have LITERALLY booted into some debian iteration and had it lock up totally upon doing nothing but clicking the "start" button in KDE. I have seen similar crashes in other x-win stuff.

Which brings up another problem with linux. Standardization. The only thing that's "standard" with linux is the kernel. And even that can be tweaked and modified by the end-user if they really want to do so. Each distro of linux is different and not even the executables are totally compatible with different flavors. You might have to recompile a program to work on your particular version of linux. That is a LONG way from being user friendly enough for the average home user.

Drivers. LOOONG have drivers been a thorn in the side of the linux community. Go grab a driver if one is available and you might have to tweak a half dozen different text files in order to get it to work the way it should. RPMs go quite a ways to simplifying this, but you STILL might have to tweak those text files. And that's only if you can get a driver for your particular device. You MIGHT have to go attempt (no guarantees) to find some open source driver that may or may not work. And certainly isn't supported by the manufacturer. It took YEARS for the linux kernel to even support USB after it became standard in Windows. That was sad indeed for proponents of linux. "Will my flatbed scanner work in linux?" "um. No. Nothing USB will work."

Linux is indeed getting better. But it has enough drawbacks that it's got a number of years to go before it reaches desktop usability for the vast majority of non-computer literate drones...

Kanati

gosse(Posted 2003) [#69]
Why in the world you guys are talking about Linux and Windows??

This is "N'JABE - Not Just Another Blitz Editor" thread, an IDE that seems really kick ass, and free on top of that, but you guys keep talking off-topic on it. First going to Protean, then to .NET, then Linux geez.

Keep up the good work Roccia!

Warren(Posted 2003) [#70]
Thread nazi.

Dynamo(Posted 2003) [#71]
I look forward to trying out your editor when it's ready Roccia. :)

EpicBoy, is there someone in your house that's not getting laid enough? :P

Jim Teeuwen(Posted 2003) [#72]
from White Eagle
Protean is so bloated with features you will never use. Call me old fashioned, but when I want a code editor, I want a code editor. I don't need something with 100s of features that have no relation to "editing code". Thats why N'JABE sounds great.

Maybe notepad is the one for you then! no bloat, no 'extra crap' just 100% code editing!
I'd love to take you up on a lil contest. We'll both write the same program and lets just see who has it done faster.

Im sure I dont have to explain why reducing development time is important cos your obviously a top-class well established commercial programmer.

Having said that, n'jabe is free and no matter what it has, a lot of effort went into making it, so it does deserve the same amount of respect any other app would get.
Good work Roccia.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#73]
EpicBoy, is there someone in your house that's not getting laid enough? :P

Wow! If you suggest that I 'get a life' next, your carefully constructed verbal assault will be complete!

I'm melting!