CTCC - video preview available!

Community Forums/Showcase/CTCC - video preview available!

Imphenzia(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hello all =)

I've been busy this summer moving from the UK back to Sweden, but I've finally managed to get back into my CTCC project and things are moving forward!

For those of you with broadband (or if you are a very patient modem user) - check out the video preview of plenty in-game footage! (35MB DivX 5)

The download link is at the top of this page in the news section.
http://www.imphenzia.com/games/ctcc/news.asp

Hope you like it!

Stefan

Warren(Posted 2003) [#2]
I'm speechless. That looks totally amazing!! Great work!

Be sure to let us know when there's a demo, yeah? :)

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#3]
Looks damn cool.

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#4]
Gggreat! I really liked Slicks'n'slides, and this looks hundred times better! I hope that the gamleplay will be like that too :)

ckob(Posted 2003) [#5]
i think this looks awesome one thing tho...to much smoke from the tires :/

Apollonius(Posted 2003) [#6]
hmmm, omg?
this video is soo awesomely proffessional, if it was 3D you'd make real good money :D

Imphenzia(Posted 2003) [#7]
Thanks, I'm looking forward to releasing the game at some stage =)

Ckob >> the amount of smoke will be tweaked, all cars produce the same (and too much) smoke at the moment, so it'll be better for the final release (I was interested to see how long before someone mentioned =)

Kaisuo >> you never know, maybe CTCC 2 will be 3D!

Stefan

Paradox7(Posted 2003) [#8]
What are you using to make it? Blitz2D ? or BlitzPlus?
Is that tile based, or just big images.
What resolution is it running at?
What FrameRates are you getting? system setup?
Is the camera locked to the car? It looked like you had a really great smooth camera.

Is that transparency on the smoke? if so, how you achieve that? the dot method, every other dot is emtpy, or maybe flickering between checkerboard patterns, or are you actuallying using alpha blending? If so, how you get it so fast :P

Its really really great, can't wait to play a demo :D

Imphenzia(Posted 2003) [#9]
Paradox, I'm using Blitz2D at the moment but will probably port it to BlitzPlus (I don't like that file extensions are forced in B+, in B2D you can use stuff like .gfx instead of .png and it will still work etc.)

Some answers:

The circuits are big images, reason? The alpha skidmarks can be drawn permanently all over the circuit, and more importantly, circuits can be 100 customized without hardly any limitations. Tiles really (really) restrict the layout of tracks. Unfortunately it eats up quite a bit of memory however.

The game resolution can be selected, 640x480, 800x600 or 1024x768, at 16 or 32 bit.

Framerates: on my PC (2.6GHz P4) it's running with all the features at highest resolution at 120Hz, with much time to spare. On an older PC, 333MHz with TNT2 graphics card, the game runs att full framerate (only tested at 75Hz) with most features enabled.

Camera is locked on the car, but at full framerate it looks quite smooth. I will also implement a smooth option that curves the movement a bit.

Transparency, the only way I could solve it dast enough was using the "every other pixel" method. Unfortunately the smoke flickers sometimes, due to this, but I'm working on some fixes for that. I also considered using 3D on 2D to get alpha transparent smoke, but decided against it for a number of reasons.

=)

Steve C ™(Posted 2003) [#10]
This looks so much fun. Someone said that if it was 3D it would make so much money, well why wouldn't it now? Frickin 3D gimps ;)
I would happily pay money for a game of this quality. Keep up the great work Imphenzia.

GfK(Posted 2003) [#11]
Odd. I'm getting a 404 here...

[edit] Odder.... its working now. :) [/edit]

GfK(Posted 2003) [#12]
Looks good.

I hope you've got permission to use all those car designs and names.

Imphenzia(Posted 2003) [#13]
The final game can not feature the correct car names / photos, only in beta testing, I've already tried to contact car manufacturers but most can't even be bothered answering =(

But if I know the gaming community... those things tend to work them selves out by dedicated fans =)

Wiebo(Posted 2003) [#14]
awesome!

Paradox7(Posted 2003) [#15]
Awesome, thanks for the answers.

I've heard that some graphics cards corrupt images if they are larger then the resolution, are you cutting up your images to resolution size, or have not seen this problem happen? and just using one single large image

Also, for collisions, are you using a second collision image for that? and if so, how is that implimented, would that require you to readpixelfast from it, and bring back if its clear or not to drive on?

I'm surprised it is so fast, 75 on a 333mhz system, awesome.

Have you figured out how much Video Memory all this is taking up yet?

Oh, what are you using for internet play? any libaries? or all custom code that you've made?

I've heard that BlitzPlus has faster methods of reading/writing pixels, so it might actually make your game slightly faster, if you where to convert to it. I myself still only have blitz2d.

Your collision methods used is what i'm really interested in, looks great, is it pixel perfect? or are you using bounding rects around the cars?

I don't know, maybe its just me, but i just love the technical side of things, i rather know how greatness was achieved then just watch it fly by :D

Maybe once you done, a little Behind the scenes, a Making of CTCC special :D with all the problems, and headaches that fell upon you as you made your way to completion.

one last thing, when you switch resolutions, are the graphics scaled to that resolution, or keeped the same, so meaning at 1024x768, i can see far more of the map, then i can see of it at 640x480? or is my view area of the map the same no matter what the resoluion.

:D

Space_guy(Posted 2003) [#16]
Welcome back to sweden ;) The game looks great by the way :) I havent played a game like this in ages :)
But they were always fun so hoping i get to play yours too someday!

Apollonius(Posted 2003) [#17]
Actually what I meant by "good money" is more money then 2D :|

skidracer(Posted 2003) [#18]
Stefan, good news!

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=26995

Imphenzia(Posted 2003) [#19]
Skidracer >> oh =) So it's been fixed? I worked around the problem at the moment by using an array instead of an anim image for the car rotations. But I was so keen to see that bug being fixed as it was the only one that has really been getting on my nerves! Also, what's new in the updates of B+ since the release?

Space_guy >> Thanx =)

Paradox >> I also heard about the graphics corruption for some graphics cards. It's nothing I've experienced on any the machines its been tested on, but I fear that people using those cards may not have enough VRam to play the game anyway. I would say 8MB is minimum, but to get the goodness out of the game, 32 and up is recommended.

I'm using a second image for collision (black and white), or two should I say for upper and lower levels as the original circuit image isn't suitable for collision detection. I also scale the bump images down 50% to save some memory and to make collisions faster. Again, imagine if the bump maps could be saved in convensional RAM, using one bit per pixel... now that I would love and so would people with less VRam! The collision engine now seems to work fine, it's pixel perfect (agaist cars, fences, houses, etc) and fast without bugs (I think =) It's imagescollide behind the scenes by the way, and not readpixel.

The game has it's own VRam manager, if a circuit is being loaded and you run out of Vram, you'll be presented with some options to save memory for the round and relaunch. This includes, changing screen res, bit depth, visual damage, trackside features, car details etc. You can also choose that opponents all look the same and grey to save a massive amount of memory.

Internet Play will be using surreal's latest library.

I will do extensive testing with BlitzPlus soon, then compare the performance results and go for the fastest one.

A "behind" the scenes documentary could be cool =) I'd say the hardest bit so far was the collision engine and the AI for the computer cars. It was difficult to make the collisions slide the cars rather than totally stop them against a fence, and even more difficult to combine collisions with the circuit bump map with the other 7 cars to ensure that they never overlap and get totally stuck. Getting the collisions work good over the internet and LAN will be even more of a challenge. I've done some testing with internet play successfully, but I've decided to re-implement the network support using a better approach. Priority of headaches so far:
1) BlitzBasic bug with imagescollide for animated images, I've spend hours and hours trying to locate and work around this bug in BB.
2) Computer AI
3) Collisions
4) Getting it to run smooth and the same at different frequencies
5) Maybe internet play? This could climb.

Finally, for the resolution. The game will not re-scale for graphic modes, and this is by design. I know some people would like the cars to be bigger, so 640x480 will offer larger cars and more panning of the map where as 1024x768 will naturally have smaller cars and less panning.

Thanks for showing interest =)

Stefan