Othello

Community Forums/Showcase/Othello

PaulJG(Posted 2003) [#1]
Wrote this lil game a couple of months ago, when I had a few weeks off work.

www.gamecoding.org.uk/Othello.zip

It's not finished - the artworks really basic..

Oh.. and you cant win (no end of game routines)

Away, if that hasent put you off, and you've got a few quiet mins - give it a try !

Use mouse to place the counters and reposition the camera.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#2]
Can't try it out right now but the screenshot certainly looks pretty. Well, except for the rather jarring "Othello Deluxe" logo box at the top.

Shambler(Posted 2003) [#3]
I like it alot, very relaxing, nice music ( shame its only 2 tracks ) and easy to play.

Caff(Posted 2003) [#4]
Nice work so far

Unfortunately, I was 48-16 up, there was one square to go - and it was a stalemate, so I couldn't win the game. [edit - just read you can't win anyway ;-) ]. Is there a way to 'pass' (I think this is in the standard rules of othello).

Also, it crashed when I closed it down.

And the computer player is not the most intelligent of players.

And, when you zoom right in to the board, sometimes when you zoom back out you are underneath the board (which makes it fairly hard to play)

Other than all those complaints, shows a lot of promise! Nice graphics, music, and a good feel to it. I like the way the pieces flip over too.

PaulJG(Posted 2003) [#5]
Actually Joe, thats quite an old screenie - without the reflections. (and it doesnt use cubemapping :) )

The artwork is where I lost it - Just couldnt make a HUD, or menu/title that fits in nicely with the rest of the game, so the project got kinda shelved.

Caff, yeap - There's quite a few ways to make it crash.. didnt get as far enough into it to make sure it all runs as it should.

The AI thats playing is at its most basic level - the code is in there for different levels of skill, just never got around to putting in the menu.

When I first thought about writing the game, the whole purpose was for a sort of arcadey 'battlechess' puzzle game (realtime, powerups etc..) - but I had to get the classic game working properly before I went ahead with those ideas.

Maybe one day I'll get back into it !.