ExGen [BETA] - download available

Community Forums/Showcase/ExGen [BETA] - download available

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#1]
I have uploaded the first BETA of ExGen

http://www.binarymoon.co.uk/preview/exgenbeta.zip

Anyone who doesn't know what ExGen is should have a look at this thread

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=26962

Basically it's a special effects (Explosion) Generator for video games.

Let me know what you think

At the moment to play an animation you have to press the play button (a shortcut will be added). To play the animation again you must press the button twice. This is an Xlnt bug that has been fixed. I am waiting for the patch.

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#2]
Hi Ben,

Looking nice, but I need more time to play around with it...

There is another bug: When a text input field is active, and you use the arrow keys, the emitter is moved around.

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#3]
Looks good so far.

I found problems with blending: smoke.bmp doesn't work correctly in any blend mode (I can see the square containing it). The circle.bmp was fine in Add and Alpha modes but wrong(?) in Multiply mode.

Also, i noticed a spelling mistake: "Infinite" in the playback mode dropdown.

Have you considered adding a handle/pivot to each particle so you can spin them around a central point? Would add more variety to the whole thing.

Just a thought.

Skitchy(Posted 2003) [#4]
This is the EXplosion GENerator isn't it? I nearly overlooked this thread but I'm glad I remembered. Looking forward to getting hold of the full version :)
d/l right now...

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#5]
I found problems with blending: smoke.bmp doesn't work correctly in any blend mode (I can see the square containing it). The circle.bmp was fine in Add and Alpha modes but wrong(?) in Multiply mode.

It does work. Load the smoke sample from the systems folder. If you change the background colour to white and specify multiply blend mode it works fine.

Have you considered adding a handle/pivot to each particle so you can spin them around a central point?

Do you mean spin them around their individual center, or spin an entire system around it's center point.

The sprites themselves can already rotate (see the rotation amount in the particle motion properties panel) and I have considered the other but haven't done anything about it. I doubnt I will add it because it will interfere with other things I have planned.

Also, i noticed a spelling mistake: "Infinite"

Oops

This is the EXplosion GENerator isn't it?

Yup

Don't know how to get around that. May just change it so the arrows don't move the emitters.

Rob Pearmain(Posted 2003) [#6]
Looking good Ben,

Some tutorials would be good and some example output (You can probably do this already I just dont know how ;-) ).

Will have a better play around with the software tonight

Cheers

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#7]
Some tutorials would be good and some example output (You can probably do this already I just dont know how ;-) )

There are example files in the systems folder. Actual animTexture output has been disabled for this demo version. Tutorials and help files will be written for the full release.