GUIde 1.0 released!

Community Forums/Showcase/GUIde 1.0 released!

Wiebo(Posted 2003) [#1]
Finally, today the first 'proper' GUI designer for BlitzPlus is released! Check out the website for demo download and ordering information at http://www.playerfactory.co.uk

Features include:
Customisable code export, Gadgets hide / unhide, Customisable editor view, Create panels for Tabber gadgets, Projects, Intuitive and efficient, more...

Screenshot:

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#2]
pretty cool, I once had a thought about writing something like this for Blitz3D, but couldn't be bothered :).

I tested it (even though I don't have Blitzplus), and have found one bug so far:

If you create a tab control and then create another one inside it, and delete the first one before the second, the app crashes.

Wiebo(Posted 2003) [#3]
Perturbatio:
Thanks for the report! I fixed it and updated the demo .zip file.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2003) [#4]
Perturbatio.. you realy are the bug finding master ;)

Writing GUI's are loads of fun IMHO... downloading now.

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#5]
On my computer changing the snap objects to grid crashes it with an invalid gadgt handle error.

Also there is no way to add menus. I guess their not as straight forward to add as the other gadget but t would be nice if this was included.

Just a note - you should add tool tips to the toolbar so that I can work out what each button does without having to add it then realise It's not what I want.

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#6]

Perturbatio.. you realy are the bug finding master ;)

I pride myself on being able to break things without trying :)

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#7]
Another (minor) one: when changing grid size, you have to press enter to commit the change, but if you just click ok, it retains the value in the edit box (from a UI perspective, it would make sense to commit the change when OK is pressed as well).

*EDIT*
And also, the default value for grid size is not shown, it instead says "textfield"

Wiebo(Posted 2003) [#8]
Ok. An update has been posted, adressing these little things...
Binary_Moon: I will add support for menus at a later day, ok?

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#9]
Binary_Moon: I will add support for menus at a later day, ok?

:)

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#10]
Nice work, Wiebo.

Wiebo(Posted 2003) [#11]
A new version has been uploaded, which solves more small issues... Changes are in the readme.txt

Kuron(Posted 2003) [#12]
Haven't tried it, but it looks nice. For now, I will stick with VB2B+ as it is more affordable. Let me know if you decide to ever accept registration methods that do not require a credit card as this looks very handy. ;c)

Wiebo(Posted 2003) [#13]
White Eagle,
I will look into other payment methods. If you have recommendations, please tell!

GUIde supports BlitzPlus specific gadgets, which VB2B+ ofcourse doesn't and GUIde will develop further in the near future as I will add menus, custom gadgets (think of scrollers, dividerlines, etc.) and export to other gui systems ( if there is demand for it ) to maybe xlnt2, blitzUI, etc.

Skitchy(Posted 2003) [#14]
Haven't bought it yet, but it looks *well* worth the $15 (£10). That's what - 4 pints? :)

Wiebo(Posted 2003) [#15]
I've been working on a more complete export. I've added a mainloop and a gadget action function. Next are custom gadgets and menu's.

After that I will add custom exporters for other GUI systems.

Here is what GUIde exports now: ( copy and past to run it, imagine entering and aligning all that by hand. ugh )
;GUIde 1.0.1 BlitzPlus export
Global EditWindow=CreateWindow("EditWindow",0,0,400,400,0,3)
	Global tabTabber0=CreateTabber(8,8,194,96,EditWindow)
		AddGadgetItem tabTabber0,"Tab0", False
		AddGadgetItem tabTabber0,"Tab1", False
		AddGadgetItem tabTabber0,"Tab2", False
		SelectGadgetItem tabTabber0,0
		SetGadgetLayout tabTabber0,1,2,1,2
		Global TabPanel0=CreatePanel(0,0,194,76,tabTabber0,0)
			SetPanelColor TabPanel0,212,208,200
			SetGadgetLayout TabPanel0,1,1,1,1
			Global chbCheckBox0=CreateButton("chbCheckBox0",48,28,96,20,TabPanel0,2)
				SetGadgetLayout chbCheckBox0,1,0,1,0
		Global TabPanel1=CreatePanel(0,0,194,76,tabTabber0,0)
			SetPanelColor TabPanel1,212,208,200
			SetGadgetLayout TabPanel1,1,1,1,1
			Global rabRadioButton0=CreateButton("rabRadioButton0",48,28,96,20,TabPanel1,3)
				SetGadgetLayout rabRadioButton0,1,0,1,0
			Global TabPanel2=CreatePanel(0,0,194,76,tabTabber0,0)
				SetPanelColor TabPanel2,212,208,200
				SetGadgetLayout TabPanel2,1,1,1,1
				Global btnButton0=CreateButton("btnButton0",64,28,64,20,TabPanel2,1)
					SetGadgetLayout btnButton0,1,0,1,0

;------------------------------------------------------------------
Repeat
id=WaitEvent()
Select id
	Case $101; pressed key
		If KeyHit( 1 ) Then End; ESC to exit
	Case $401; interacted with gadget
		DoGadgetAction( EventSource() )
	End Select
Forever

Function DoGadgetAction( gadget )
	Select gadget
		Case tabTabber0; user changed tabber item
			item = SelectedGadgetItem( tabTabber0 )
			Select item
				Case 0
					ShowGadget TabPanel0
					HideGadget TabPanel1
					HideGadget TabPanel2
				Case 1
					HideGadget TabPanel0
					ShowGadget TabPanel1
					HideGadget TabPanel2
				Case 2
					HideGadget TabPanel0
					HideGadget TabPanel1
					ShowGadget TabPanel2
			End Select
		Case chbCheckBox0; user changed checkbox

Case rabRadioButton0
			; insert your action for rabRadioButton0 here

Case btnButton0; user pressed button

End Select
End Function

Kozmi(Posted 2003) [#16]
How about making it compatable with Blitz3D so everybody can benefit from it? It would be nice to use the gui with that of the rendering 3D view in Blitz3D....

Wiebo(Posted 2003) [#17]
Well, as the editor now only exports BlitzPlus gui code that's a bit hard :) But like I said, custom exporters for BlitzUI or xlnt2 are a possibility.

Wiebo(Posted 2003) [#18]
I've updated the website with more information and more ordering options ( paying without credit cards will be added asap )
The link is in my signature!

Imphenzia(Posted 2003) [#19]
I would be interested in this app, if it supported menus.

Also, when you add a scroller and change it from horizontal to vertical, you get one fat vertical scroller, about 15 pixels high =)

Would it also be possible to get automatically attach a scrollbar to a text field for example?

Wiebo(Posted 2003) [#20]
Imphenzia:
- I fixed the scroller issue in the update I am working on now, as I found it annoying too =]. It now resizes the scrollbar accordingly.
- Attaching a scroller to a textfield is not really necessary as the textfield will only support one line of text. If you did mean Textareas, those add a slider when needed automatically.
- Menus: they WILL be added. I am just thinking of ways to support and edit them properly.

Imphenzia(Posted 2003) [#21]
Thanks for the answers =) Sorry, I did mean textareas (was thinking of multilined textfields).

When menu support is added, I'll prolly get a copy then!

Cheers,
Stefan

Wiebo(Posted 2003) [#22]
Hi,

I've added snail mail ordering to the website, for those without credit cards.

I also have got menu's ALMOST working, so a next update should be out next week! This version will also support the first custom gadgets, like groupboxes and seperator lines. All of these should work straight out of the code export.