TREEmagik Pro lives!

Community Forums/Showcase/TREEmagik Pro lives!

SabataRH(Posted 2003) [#1]
I know alot of treemagik users have been emailing me over the past 8 months inquring about the next installment to the Magik family.. This post is for you; to let ya know things are happening!. Tranz and myself have been at this project non-stop lately.

Over the next few weeks I'm going to be posting a few screenshots from the new TreeMagik Pro editor. I won't mention the tons of new features or other interesting facts just yet - just some screenies for now! :)_

Now for the goodies-

PromoPic

EditorPreviewMode1 Mid Poly-Mid Texture Detail

EditorPreviewMode2 Low Poly-High texture detail

EditorPreviewMode3 Mid Poly-Low texture detail

(screens taken from the actual Pro editor)

Warren(Posted 2003) [#2]
Small suggestion ... I would change the font on that promo pic. The URL is almost unreadable.

IPete2(Posted 2003) [#3]
Sabata,

Hooray, I think (I hope) I know what some of those features maybe...

I had a go at one of them only today and couldn't figure a good way to achieve it so far... still looking at it.

When may we see Pro version available?

Looking forward to reading about the features! Get to it you guys, and stop looking at the forum until work is done!!!!!

lol.

Great news!

IPete2.
:)

Doggie(Posted 2003) [#4]
I'm not trying to make some weird case here, but I got a question. If I use TREEmagik to make a tree can I use that tree freely in my own creations? If so, can I also distribute that tree in my own creation in an unprotected form where the end user can access the tree outside of its' intended use as part of my program even though that wasn't the express purpose of my providing the tree as part of my creation? If I can't entirely own the output of the program than why would I buy it? I'm just unclear on that, not trying to snipe you, It really just doesn't add up. I understand you don't want someone else wrecking sales of your program by offering cheap collections so people will buy that instead of TREEmagick, but somehow it just doesn't add up that you could control them doing that if they own the output of the program. Why license something you can't own the use of? Thanks, I guess, if you can make sense out of it for me. I'm probably going to go ahead and buy your PRO edition but just wanted to ask anyhow.

Doggie

SabataRH(Posted 2003) [#5]
I think somewhere you may have misunderstood someone or something.. Theres no binding laws saying you cant do whatever you want with Treemagik creations - other than -resale the product- or re-selling stand-alone bundles of the included media (which are standard, common agreements almost all software of this nature enforces). Make trees?, distribute them in your creations? certainly premitted otherwise what would be the use of owning the media?... none

ckob(Posted 2003) [#6]
i know i asked in another post but will this be free for existing treemagik owners? i hope so :)

Doggie(Posted 2003) [#7]
OK. Thanks. I downloaded a couple of demo things people posted here and they came with TREEmagik trees and I tried them out in my own stuff but didn't know if it was cool to use these models or not since I don't currently own TREEmagik. Kind of a moot point since from the looks of it I'll be purchasing the new version. Thanks again.

Doggie

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#8]
with TREEmagik trees and I tried them out in my own stuff but didn't know if it was cool to use these models or not

Personally I think that's a different thing entirely to what you asked Sabatha. You should ask the person who made the trees if you can use the models not the peron who made the program that makes the trees. That's like asking the programmer who made milkshape if you can use any model made by milkshape in you own program... including those not made by you.

Sabatha - Looks rather green :) I think those screen shots are too busy to be able to see what is going on. I can tell there are trees but can't see where one starts and another ends.

So does the new version let you create forests as well as standalone trees? I can see grass in there as well; looks more like it's a wildlife/ nature creation program than a tree program (which wouldn't be a bad thing).

Doggie(Posted 2003) [#9]
It's not a different thing. The people who made the demos I downloaded gave the models away. Sabatha had said people couldn't make collections of nothing but treemagik tress and sell them. So I just wondered how he felt about treemagik trees being more or less placed in the public domain. I wouldn't want to post a demo here using them and people think poorly of me for using those trees.

Doggie

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#10]
The people who made the demos I downloaded gave the models away

If they stated that then that's fine. The way I read it you had downloaded someones game and were using their media without their permission.

SabataRH(Posted 2003) [#11]
Yes Binary_moon is correct, rights to trees in other programs is souly the responsibility of the author that released them.

As long as the trees aren't bundled and sold seperatly, the author gives permission to use them, then theres nothing wrong about doing so.

Sabatha - Looks rather green :)

Its trees! :)>>

So does the new version let you create forests as well as standalone trees?

The preview modes do some neat stuff - allowing you to veiw your creation in a number of settings.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2003) [#12]
I would have to agree totally with BM and S also...

... what's the difference in doing what you suggest, and using the textures or skins from Quake or MOH...

The trees that are part of the media of another person's creation are just as much part of their intellectual property as is the code, the models, etc...

... ya just can't go around grabbin em and putting em in your game, and then putting your name on the package.

Hey, here's an idea... license TREEmagik and make your own trees to put in your game... I'm sure you would find that waaaaaaaaay coooooool...

--Mike

Nmuta(Posted 2003) [#13]
and the palm trees are coming, right? I'm looking forward to that.

Doggie(Posted 2003) [#14]
@Red Ocktober HEY! Here's an idea, read all of what I said not just something you can flame.

Kind of a moot point since from the looks of it I'll be purchasing the new version. Thanks again.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2003) [#15]
@Doggie... hey be gentle with me... i'm sensitive... ok...

... besides, i wasn't the only one that seemed to miss what you wrote. two others sorta reminded you that what you proposed was teetering on the borderline.

hey, these guys worked hard for their final product... i don't think that it is flaming you a bit what i posted...

... hey, since you got so many ideas, here's another,

when (and if) you DO license it, then you can come back and accuse me of not reading what you said, or possibly flamin' you post (not really)...

... but until then... read my lips, talk to the hand, and bark at the moon.

--Mike

Doggie(Posted 2003) [#16]
Oh. OK. I sometimes act out. Let's let it go.
On topic, so long as the price is in the ballpark
it's looking like the new version will finally
tempt me to buy a copy. Best trees I've seen yet
except it would be nice if the leaves wouldn't cause
a collision.

Doggie

GrahamK(Posted 2003) [#17]
Looking good as usual m8 :)

SabataRH(Posted 2003) [#18]
Thanks BT.

Doggie;
The trees are exported with pivot center located at the base of the chunk. Using box collision and defining a smaller boundery will give you trunk collision only and no leaf bumping.

Isaac P(Posted 2003) [#19]
Sabata.. dont suppose any chance of bundling your tree/grass engine code with the release?

John-Robin(Posted 2003) [#20]
Great Sabata, however for my purposes it would be very useful if it would be exportable to 3ds max. Can it export to 3ds for example?

keep up the good work,

John-Robin

Falelorn(Posted 2003) [#21]
Fantastic, cant wait to get it.

SabataRH(Posted 2003) [#22]
John, 3DS is a listed export format..

ckob(Posted 2003) [#23]
I use treemagik 1.0b and it's great all i do is set entitytype tree,tree_col and it works fine unless your players can reach the leafs collision is fine.

John-Robin(Posted 2003) [#24]
Sabata> Cool. can you tell me more about the price / license ? Also is there a demo available - without save function or something?

John-Robin

Red Ocktober(Posted 2003) [#25]
yeah, this one looks like it should be in my arsenal too...

i've been looking at it for a while now...

any projected release date for the next update S...

--Mike