Terrain Texturing?

Community Forums/Showcase/Terrain Texturing?

Matt2222(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hey, just wondering how I would create good textures for terrain. Is there a program that I can use? How do games get such a crisp texture quality on a giant map? Can anyone help?

thanks
-Matt

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#2]
Dr Av's Terrain Shader is a nice Tool, also have a look on Transition Creator. http://www.mentalillusion.co.uk/
(uses Flash & Javascript)

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2003) [#3]
Only problem is, you cant buy Terrain Shader 2 on the Idigicon site.

And believe me, I would really like to buy TS2, I even tried to mail Idigicon twice, but with no reply!

It seems like they dont what to sell it!

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#4]
I've had other people emailing me about TS2 and not being able to buy it. The problem is I don't actually own it anymore so there's nothing I can do personally. All I can suggest is keep emailing Idigicon.

It'll be well worth it by the way!

PaulJG(Posted 2003) [#5]
Rob, I too like the look of your Terrain proggie.. could you not release a 'version 3'.. which doesnt have anything to do with Idigicon ? ;) (and release it yourself)

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#6]
I've considered writing something like this myself, but I'm convinced that as soon as I tell anyone about it Idigicon are going to start selling Robs version - so i haven't bothered.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#7]
>>Rob, I too like the look of your Terrain proggie.. could you not release a 'version 3'.. which doesnt have anything to do with Idigicon ? ;) (and release it yourself) <<

Well, I assume (using my psi-power) his Contract contains some ponits that will not allow him to sell a "sequel Version". And I guess he is also not allowed to talk about the contract :)

But - of course, he could use a diffrent name, because Terrain shading itself cannot be copyright protected, of course.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#8]
Uhm, btw there is also MrTricks "Total Terrain" which is Freeware. http://www.btinternet.com/~mrtricks/

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#9]
JFK,

I'm working on a new version, I don't really like talking about it too much as I don't know how long it will be at the moment...

However...
Shadowing has been improved loads and sped up.
Lighting... um... well... will be better but it total pants at the moment... but my thought process is much better! In theory it will allow for multiple coloured lights and so on, just doesn't work yet!
Terrain Generation
Texture Generation
More power on the texturing side of thing, so you specify a texture between a height range and angle, this means you could have beach type rock on steep slopes in low level land and mountain rock on steep slopes at high levels.
A more modular way of working so the workflow is more efficiant. You create light maps, shadow maps, steep maps and texture maps seperately so you don't need to re-calculate things that don't need re-calcuating so everything runs faster.

Before everyone gets excited about this it's not just round the corner, there's currently no front end and a lot of this stuff is theory rather than practice... however, that's the plan and much of it is going well.