New starfighter (3DS)

Community Forums/Showcase/New starfighter (3DS)

Neo Genesis10(Posted 2003) [#1]
Whaddya think? Still textured using my usual 'split the model' method, but I'm slowly training myself on 'proper' UV mapping techniques.

Matt2222(Posted 2003) [#2]
Hmmm.......I get an error. Can't see the image. Cannot even right-click properties cut-paste.

Neo Genesis10(Posted 2003) [#3]
Fixed... silly me put .com instead of .net...

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#4]
That's looking good. Try Lithunwrap, DL Address in Other Tools, by Kev.

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#5]
It's a good start but I think it looks a bit primitive based, no curves or smooth lines and the design is very ordinary. Nothing wrong with an ordinary design, it just doesn't grab me.

Something I found when modelling space craft is that you don't need to worry about the wings/engines like an aeroplane, so you can base your design on anything. Take a look in lighting catalogues, you'll see some really cool sleek shapes in there that are great starts (I'm serious!).

You've taken a starting point of an aeroplane, take a starting point from something completely irrelivant and you'll end up with an original design. For example you can get some pretty cool headphones that look quite hi-tech. Start modelling one of the ear pieces and sooner or later you'll end up with a spaceship that looks nothing like an aeroplane but looks kinda cool.

I've used lights, whistles, and vases as starting points for space craft. Check out my site in the modelling section and you'll see some of the stuff I've done. I'm not saying my stuff is great but it's not too much like run-of-the-mill spaceships.

Anyway... What I'm trying to say is keep up the good work!

CyberHeater(Posted 2003) [#6]
It's all in the texturing. If you put a really good texture on that It will look great.
Make sure you add dirt/grime/weapons marks/decals/etc for an authentic look/

Neo Genesis10(Posted 2003) [#7]
Thanks guys. I still consider myself a newbie graphics artist though, hence the textures being a bit simplistic. I'm having a play with Texporter (thanks TigerZ) to see if I can get a decent poly map to start with, but my artistry leaves much to be desired when it comes to large objects.

Dr Av: The reason I chose aircraft as a base for my fighters is because they're easily relatable. Its a common theme many space games and films have and I saw no reason to alter that (from the heroes perspective anyway). The enemy craft, however, are far more unique with some unusually sleek craft emerging from the unlikeliest of primitives.

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#8]
That's good advice, Av. You know, one of the ships in Platypus was based on a table lamp I saw on a TV commercial.