TBFPS Engine and Tools

Community Forums/Showcase/TBFPS Engine and Tools

Techlord(Posted 2003) [#1]
This will be a GNU General Public Licensed FPS Engine for developing First Person Shooters for Tournament Blitz. Check out the W.I.P. LIVE!

Unlike previous projects, I'm writing the documentation for the Engine first. This documentation will serve as a design document to develop the engine.

In theory, this approach will provide comprehensive documentation on the engine/tools and improve comprehension of the code. If you see something in the W.I.P. (Work In Progress) that you desire more detail please post here.

Thanks Sincerely

WARNING: The information provided in this document will change without notice. Please refresh your browsers when loading content.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#2]
This is promising since YOU say it. Such approaches depend heavily on who is saying it.

I couldn't do it since my Engines always base on trial'n'error methods.

Techlord(Posted 2003) [#3]
jfk,

Downloaded your CSP Demo and I love it. Its one of the most complete FPS I've seen made with Blitz! Very well done. I looking forward to seeing games like this being played on Tournament Blitz.

A great deal of the code will be extracted from other projects and modified to follow my coding rules of the engine. So taking time to design this engine on paper is going to be big plus for me.

poopla(Posted 2003) [#4]
/me hopes this isn't his old Plasma code which technically is not open source being made open source without his knowledge. ;)

Techlord(Posted 2003) [#5]
Dev,

Fear Not:) The TBFPS code are complete rewrites generated with my TypeWriter CodeWizard. No code is generated at this time as I'm designing the entire engine on paper first.

poopla(Posted 2003) [#6]
It was a joke anywho, no worries.

Techlord(Posted 2003) [#7]
This will be a GNU General Public Licensed FPS Engine for developing First Person Shooters for Tournament Blitz. Check out the W.I.P. LIVE!

NOTICE: This document is being developed in real-time. All questions and concerns about the content will be immediately addressed.

Thank You.

poopla(Posted 2003) [#8]
I have most of what you seem to want to do there done already. And unless you are simpley trying to make everything as explicit as possible in it's function, you're over complicating stuff it seems.

Techlord(Posted 2003) [#9]
Dev,

Over complicating? Please explain.

Kuron(Posted 2003) [#10]
This is NOT a flame, but just a statement. Screenshots impress the hell out of me, and if they look good enough, I will try a demo of what is being shown. But just posting "docs" for something that evidently doesn't even exist yet, is just plain weird, and not impressive in any way, except that you do seem to be able to spell better than 30% of the Blitz community. Nice to see somebody organizing things before they actually start on the project though.

GfK(Posted 2003) [#11]
Strangely, I agree with White Eagle. Never thought I'd say that....

Writing down ideas is piss easy. We can all do that all day long. Its the actually doing of it that should earn you hearty slaps on the back.

Techlord(Posted 2003) [#12]
Nice to see somebody organizing things before they actually start on the project though.
Perhaps posting "docs" for something that evidently doesn't even exist yet, is not so weird after all:)

Writing down ideas is piss easy.
Agreed. However, organizing and sharing them is not so easy considering the lack of documentation for over 50% of the Blitz Projects.

In theory, this approach will provide comprehensive documentation on the engine/tools and improve comprehension of the code. If you see something in the W.I.P. (Work In Progress) that you desire more detail please post here.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#13]
You're forgetting that a lot of people have their own ways of doing things, so I think you should just suck it and see (code it instead).

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#14]
It doesn't have to impress :) . This method requires that you know the Language , know it's pitfalls and capabilities. Byside that it's a serious and promising way of Development.

It's not a good way for Newbies since they first have to learn what's possible and what's not.

Even an advanced Programmer might pause this Doc-oriented Conception from Time to Time and make some Tests with a new Module before s/he can continue writing the Docs and the Concept.

Techlord(Posted 2003) [#15]
You're forgetting that a lot of people have their own ways of doing things
Agreed, however, if one chooses to use my code to develop, they should have a firm understanding of my code and how to use with their own coding techniques.

I think you should just suck it and see (code it instead).
I did that for the nine previous FPS engines. This is the consolidation of all my previous trial by fire efforts. I will still have to code and test, but, this documentation will drive testing and the testing will be documented as well.

Many professional software development houses have strict coding conventions. This is my attempt to provide something similar. I'm hoping with detailed explanation, my code will be suitable and usable for novice and expert blitz coders alike.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2003) [#16]
I also agree, Developing on paper is the way all projects should be done, planning is everything, a failure to plan can and often does result in a failed game..

I think im more impressed by those docs than many screen shots Iv seen. The guy is clearly putting a lot of time and effort into design to make sure that when he goes to code, it will in theory be a hell of a lot easier for him, with less bugs and less trouble.

I lookforward to seeing how this goes.

Not CSP engine looks awsome as well, im also a fan of it. and /me wonders if the engine will be free ? or will we have to buy a licence of it to make our own FPS with it.??

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#17]
Yavin - it's a bit off topic. My Engine License Model works ona a Profit Participation Philosophy that becomes relevant above 10 Thousand Dollars of sales. Everything below that cashflow is free as in "free beer". [/OT]

Techlord(Posted 2003) [#18]

Techlord(Posted 2003) [#19]
I believe I have accumulated decent list of objects to go into the TBFPS Engine. Perhaps I may have missed something. Looking for input.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#20]
As you said, it's a list, it still needs some Structure to access the Information. A lot of things are still missing, or not yet linked.

One little thing:

>>Doors are usually linked to a Switch Object that activate open and close state. Doors can also be Linked to VIS objects to hide or show objects dependent its open/close state.<<

I think here you just do a lot of unneccessary work that will complicate the Source and make it less flexible. Since the Rendering Speed needs to be high enough even with open Door, I would ignore a closed Door, ignore the whole door during the VIS Data Compilation. But that's just my point of view.

Techlord(Posted 2003) [#21]
jfk,

I agree about the door. It may not be necessary to link a vis object to the door. Well since this is on the drawing board, I can omit it now without wasted coding:)

Your input is valued.

Techlord(Posted 2003) [#22]
Animation. I have decided to go with 'Bone' Character animation vs Mesh deformation animation (ie MD2). The reasons for my decision is based on the application of 1) B3D format, 2) External Animation Data (.BVH), 3) Ragdoll Physics, 4) Realtime Inverse Kinematics, 5) Interchangeable/Segmented Mesh, 6) Level Of Detail.

All of these features can be integrated together. My concern is using real-time Inverse Kinetics to generate animation for Bipedal and non-pedal characters. Any and all input is valued.

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#23]

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#24]
Check Out the TBFPS Engine.

Doggie(Posted 2004) [#25]
This sounds really great. I've recently been trying to get BVH animation into Blitz models so I'd be really interested to see how that's done. Right now I've got LifeForms 3.5 and the TSX for TrueSpace but my TS characters don't import correctly into LifeForms. It's been driving me bananas.

Doggie

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#26]
Doggie,

Well I have yet to create a mesh skeleton (considering my milkshape is expired and I have yet to receive my registration) that will bind to the bvh frameset. Once I get something working I will send ya a demo and code.

Doggie(Posted 2004) [#27]
Excellent. I can export LifeForms animations as 3ds and they play just fine in Blitz but what I haven't been able to do is substitute my own models in place of the skeletons or pre-rigged models included in LifeForms. Once I know how to do that I can use either LifeForms or Poser to animate quite easily and there's got to be something like a thousand BVH animations you can track down and download off the internet. It'll be a whole new world.

Doggie

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#28]
Doggie,

You be interested in StockMoves™ GENERIC. Stockmoves GENERIC is a FREE Web-based library of stock motions for graphics artists, game developers, and animators to use freely in motion capture projects. It provides you with the ability to create unique 3D motions to your characters. MOTEK also offers a state-of-the-art motion capture studio in Amsterdam.

Note: I believe you may have to sign-up for use, but, its not intrusive.

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#29]
TBFPS is now officially known as RiftDriver The engine is being expanded for the development of RiftWalkers, A Scifi/Fantasy MMORPG.

PS: We pay cash for media! Inquire on website.