My Space Shooter game :o)

Community Forums/Showcase/My Space Shooter game :o)

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#1]
Ok, i've finally got back to doing something with this. Thought i'd post it and get some suggestions from you'z knowledgable folks :D (Big thanks to Yan for spotting the problem on my site :0) )

here it is:
(Game with backround music) 3.75 Mb
http://www.rosscrooks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Blitz/spaceshooter.zip

(game without Backround music) 1.47 Mb

http://www.rosscrooks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Blitz/spaceshooter_nobackmusic.zip

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#2]

ashmantle(Posted 2003) [#3]
are you a crook?

um... bet noone have asked you that question before? :)

Anyways, although it was a nice "LOADING" screen, the end was less impressive....

it died in a typical blitzbasic error message.. you know the one I mean :) yeah you do! hmm.. ok I'll spell it out for ya.. "Memory Access Violation"

EDIT: and it was the big package too

sswift(Posted 2003) [#4]
"are you a crook?"

Of course not. He is obviously more than one crook.

sswift(Posted 2003) [#5]
Checked out the demo. Runs fine on WinXP with music.

Suggestions:

Make player fire 10x faster.
Make explosions 5x faster.
Remove blue layer of stars.
Make powerups colorful so that you can tell they're powerups and see them with action going on.
Remove health bars on enemies.
Move enemies around faster.
Increase number of enemies.

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#6]
@sswift
First off, thanks for taking the time to try it out. Made a wee while back so hopefully i've improved alot more now :)

The health bars a bit of a pain then? Put them on so in the harder levels, you could see how strong an enemy was. I'll stick an option to have them on or off.

You think the earlier levels should have more enemies? I'll add some more in. i think i need new explosions. They kinda suck really bad :)

@ashmantle

Also thanks for downloading it. Sorry it didn't work. I'll have a look into that. Strange that it works on swifts computer. About my second name. I hate it, stupid name. That probably means my family back centuries ago went around and nicked stuff :S

sswift(Posted 2003) [#7]
I've never seen a shooter of any kind which display health bars on the enemies. It just kinda destroys the appearance of realism. Only maybe one game I think from Epic had them if I'm not mistaken and it was a 4 way scrolling free roaming shooter, not a 2D scrolling shooter. It just doesn't make sense to have them when you kille ach enemy in 1-2 seconds.

Even on boss monsters I'm not sure if I would reccomend it. But at least there there's some precendence for having a health bar. Megaman games had health bars on their boss monsters. But I can't recall a shooter that has them, but I'm sure there must be a few.

Apollonius(Posted 2003) [#8]
It was nice, I just could approx see the ennemy's pattern.
Yeah, we need to fire faster :)

There was powerups? Didnt see them o.o;

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#9]
The wee gray circle things floating about the top of the screen where power-ups. I'm gonna change the format of it and have waves of enemies instead that drop powerups
:)

Neo Genesis10(Posted 2003) [#10]
Not a bad shooter. A few suggestions though.

1) Increased rate of fire for the player. The rate increase gained through powerups is scarcely noticable and your initial rate of fire is poor compared to your opponents.

2) Instead of locking the enemies onscreen until the wave is destroyed, have a cut-off point for each wave - its the player's loss if s/he fails to destroy any.

3) Small bug with the enemy shield bar at one point. The enemy bounces up and down and the shield bar remains level.

4) Boss doesnt do anything. Having danced through laserfire like raindrops, I expected the boss to have an arsenal to put Duke Nukem to shame. Give the boss some additional weaponry, a different style of movement (following the player actually makes it easier to beat him) and increase his rate of fire. Remember - he's MEANT to be a toughy!

Besides those niggly points, good work.

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#11]
Bosses with health bars are borderline okay. But for regular ships, even tough ones; nah, don't do it.

The correct approach is, of course, to make them show visible damage ;o)

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#12]
mmmm.. i dunno bout showing visible damage. Alot of extra frames required for that. Maybe later, i'll get the current ideas implemented :)

I agree about the boss, he's not very tough :) The way it works is the programs free's all the enemies from the last wave, loads in the new enemies. Each enemy is loaded in using a data statement and by the way i've coded it, each enemy has only on ebullet that it shoots. I'll prob code in a seperate routine especially for the bosses.