SERVANT MMORPG OPEN SOURCE

Community Forums/Showcase/SERVANT MMORPG OPEN SOURCE

ckob(Posted 2003) [#1]
http://www.ckob.vzz.net/

I've got no time to work on it and the community of limited players dosn't want the game to end so here it is open source hopefully a community will evolve and build it up... if not maybe just learn from my sloppy uncommented code.

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2003) [#2]
Just a question, why do you insist on using upper case letters for most of your titles?

ckob(Posted 2003) [#3]
lol it was late i didnt relise it

Kuron(Posted 2003) [#4]
I wish more people used uppercase letters, easier for us old farts to read ;c)

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2003) [#5]
does that mean that if we use completely lower case letters you can't read it? i never had the courage to say it but brice you suck.

[edit]Oops, hard to read, not impossible :P[/edit]

Kuron(Posted 2003) [#6]
does that mean that if we use completely lower case letters you can't read it?
:cp

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#7]
hey ckob, top props for releasing this open source, i'm gonna take a serious look into it.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#8]
Nice conclusion, but your site is linked a bit early, I cannot see the screenies.

ckob(Posted 2003) [#9]
Sinu: thanks im hoping people will contribute to it and learn from it if possible.

jfk: The Screenshots work here bud anyone else having these problems?

Ice9(Posted 2003) [#10]
very commendable ckob
I bet the caps come from some of that WASD stuff.

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#11]
screenshots show fine for me.

SCREENSHOTS SHOW FINE FOR ME. (for the benefit of Brice and any other blind old codgers out there :) )

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#12]
No, pictures are invisible in Opera. Even when I paste the path in a new Window.
EG: www.ckob.vzz.net/shot4.jpg is broken, Properties say its 0*0 Pixels in 0 Bit Color depth, 181 Bytes size.

What App did you use to save them?

ckob(Posted 2003) [#13]
paint shop pro 8
Arbitrage: thanks

ckob(Posted 2003) [#14]
alright sourceforge page is up including source and all needed files please visit the main page for sourceforge link
http://www.ckob.vzz.net/

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#15]
Someone should send a mail to the guys of Paint Shop Pro and tell them not to use "undocumented Features" :)

Anybody else had this Problm with Opera? Or is it the Censorship of my Goverment ? Ckop - did you use any illegal Color Combination in any Pixels? ;)

If it's Opera than don't worry too much, Opera has only 1.1% of all Browsers. Although the Percentage in the Coders Scene might be higher.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#16]
i just d/l the files but the "Servantsrc1.0.zip" is corrupt, it keeps saying either part of multipart archive or end of archive reached, it comes too 1.50mb, is that right?
the other two files are fine though.

ckob(Posted 2003) [#17]
oh nope definetly not right the servantsrc is a little over 19 mb so ill reupload today

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#18]
thought so, cos one of the other files was 13mb+ too, really looking forward to looking through your code and learning from it.

ps don't worry i won't nag you if i don't understand something unless it really is confusing and complex.

ckob(Posted 2003) [#19]
yeah the 13 mb is the editor. I will document the source more as time goes by perhaps I can get a development team working on it, now that its opensource. I am about finished with the file uploading and I will send an email to all the people watching the page. If you would like emails on upates just goto the sourceforge page and click watch this project

ckob(Posted 2003) [#20]
Alright all the files are tested and uploaded so download away and enjoy. I think im gonna need a webmaster lol what do you all think of the page is it good enough?

Isaac P(Posted 2003) [#21]
Are you allowed to include Blitzplay Pro in your release Ckob?

ckob(Posted 2003) [#22]
ill check im pretty sure it isnt there

Isaac P(Posted 2003) [#23]
Check the server zip.. it is in the includes folder..

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#24]
Yes better get it off quick - slight oversight there !

If the servants network code is based on Blitz Play Pro then people will have to register and download BlitzPlay Pro for themselves.

Maybe now all those people who wished to write a MMORPG can now have their dreams realised thanks to your fine efforts !

ckob(Posted 2003) [#25]
yeah I kept seeing people wanting to write an mmo but couldnt really figure out where to start. Hopefully this will help I know it is messy but who knows maybe ill tidy it up and document it later on.

as for Blutzplay I spoke with Surreal and he said "I guess" to putting blitzplay 1.0 with so i packaged it with the last source, but after talking with some friends and doing a little thinking I thought it best to get a "Yes" from surreal before I include his fine library.
And if you wanna write any multilplayer game blitplay is the way to go..believe me ive used it since it came out and it has never steered me wrong :)

Trofanson(Posted 2003) [#26]
Thanks ckob for providing this package for us!

Question though...

When I run the test.bb file I get an error popping up apparently from the "prepare.bb" include which says "entity doesn't exist"

This occurs in reference to the line which says "Knight_A_Idle = ExtractAnimSeq(knight,2,41)

Is there anything I am doing wrong? (I am assuming test.bb is the main client file, and that it runs ok,yes?)

thanks!!

Trofanson

ckob(Posted 2003) [#27]
yes
ive fixed it if u download the new update with blitzlite added its all fixed what was happening was that
Knight_A_Idle = ExtractAnimSeq(knight,2,41)

is looking for an entity that does in fact no exist if you look up a couple lines Player is loaded and thats the mesh that is used for the player model so if you change
Knight_A_Idle = ExtractAnimSeq(player,2,41) then your problem is solved :).

Also I got someone to make a forum and webpage for this project so if you download this and use it please use the boards to talk about it. Also remember any improvments you make on the code must be made aware by me and added to sourceforge via emailing me or using the forum. With that said I hope the 87 people that have downloaded it so far find it useful and actually make something of it.

Trofanson(Posted 2003) [#28]
ahh ha!

Ok, thanks allot ckob!!

Isaac P(Posted 2003) [#29]
Id just like to say a big thankyou to ckob... there are many people who wish to create a mmorpg in blitz.... and got stumped at many hurdles... i was one such person.. however my hurdle was media creation.. but ho hum... this gives us all a great opportunity to see how a mmorpg can be implemented and blitz.. and gives us some great builing blocks to build with...ckob... maybe you should have some sort of pay pal donation thing on your website i know i for one would be more than happy to donate :)

ckob(Posted 2003) [#30]
i could do that :P ill link it up tonight.

Isaac P(Posted 2003) [#31]
is anyone able here to get the client running.... i cant get it running... it keeps giving me errors... and when i fix one lot.. a whole new lot are thrown at me... ckob.. does the client run ok for you with no problems?

Trofanson(Posted 2003) [#32]
I dont have it running either at this point. "Array index out of bounds."

ckob(Posted 2003) [#33]
runs fine for me but i have blitzplay pro ill have a go with it tonight and see if I can find some problems...you do have to have a server going too ;P

ckob(Posted 2003) [#34]
Ok I was just thinking what would be better

1) open source engine like it is.. as is not gurantee'd to be stable.

2)charge (amount here) for a stable release and free updates as well as user documents and support?

If I decide to charge anything for the engine I will keep updates and a stable release on the site as well as documents detailed in explaining what does what and how it works. Also I will take it out of GNU and you can use it for commercial games as well as the models this is of coarse only if I decide to sell the engine. Writing documents,updates,stable releases would take alot of my time that would be the only thing I'd charge money for.

Only Ideas

ckob(Posted 2003) [#35]
ok Ive recieved a massive amount of emails asking about the vertex thing if you simply remove all that code and uncomment all the water code it should work just fine that was somthing I was in the middle of testing.

the_cre8or(Posted 2003) [#36]
i choose option 2, although it costs, i'd get support, fre eupdates etc, and i could sell my game

ckob(Posted 2003) [#37]
:) ok thats what I thought Ill get working on the documents and stable releases asap. anyone else think this is a good idea?

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#38]
I think that Option 2 would be the best way to proceed - everyone can then start from a stable base with documentation.

ckob(Posted 2003) [#39]
Alright I'll do that then it will of coarse take me a couple days so please stand bye while I do this

ckob(Posted 2003) [#40]
ok this is what im aiming for
Full Documentation on alls files and functions as well as explaining what the source's do all in a nice easy to use webpage.

Full commercial license to use models,source code

Completely stable releases
Tech support
free updates
free model updates
Blitzplay pro 1.0 *contacting Surreal about it hopefully he is gonna let me :) if not I'll write my own library

Now I've been told I could easily charge $100.00 for this engine but thats a bit much I think so I am only charging $50.00 per license this includes all mentioned above. of coarse the price is subject to change if needed but im not here to get rich or rip anyone off so we will see what happens.

Isaac P(Posted 2003) [#41]
Ckob...you have removed the client from sourceforge? if anyone has the client zip.. could they please email it to me? whi_mar at hotmail dot com

ckob(Posted 2003) [#42]
Yes I removed the client from source forge and will be deleting the source forge page. The code on source forge was alot worse then I thought I was recieving at least 4 -6 emails a day asking questions on compiling the code. I am almost finished writing the help files and documenting the code. I have made a stable release so in about 2-3 days I will have the engine up on a site for sale. The engine will include blitzplay 1.0 and will allow the user to make commercial release's with the code and models. I will also make code and model updates for users as well.

Isaac P(Posted 2003) [#43]
If anyone does have the client source package.. would they be able to send it to the address above please?

Falelorn(Posted 2003) [#44]
Very cool... Cant wait to download it and check it out.

ckob(Posted 2003) [#45]
ok withen the next few days I should have the site,documents and engine ready for release bare with me

Falelorn(Posted 2003) [#46]
cool ckob..

Its very generous for you to do this. :)

RoterBlitz(Posted 2003) [#47]
I have load the NEWSERVED and NEWESTTSSERVER from
Sourceforge ... i know ckob have cancel this, but
please, i will take a look on this.

If anyone does have the client source package.. would they be able to send it to the address above please?

Or E-Mail: nitramo@... thanks!

@ ckob.. hmm i see you use loadterrain() ? or start
the Client with the meshterrainlib (i see this
lib in your NEWSERVED folder) ? I think a tile
terrain is realy better for large zones and the
terrain textures have a better detail.

I use this meshterrainlib in my own project and
work at a tile texturset for mountains, hills,
sand and ways.

My dream ist to have a tile terrain like Asherons Call 2 :)

ckob(Posted 2003) [#48]
im not sure what you want with the terrain I did haev mesh terrain in but didnt make an editor for it and at the time beat tester's were begging for a new version so i just used load terrain until I could make an editor. The newer updates that registered engine users get will at a later time use mesh terrains for larger levels.

ckob(Posted 2003) [#49]
The Complete Servant Engine is available now to purchase I will be working on getting a members page up in the next couple days. if anyone has any questions about the engine please feel free to contact me.