Radoll Physics: A Practical Example

Community Forums/Showcase/Radoll Physics: A Practical Example

Al Mackey(Posted 2003) [#1]
I've been working on my Ragdoll physics engine again (and ignoring my almost-complete shooter). I've been determined to find something useful to do with it that doesn't involve dragging around dead or unconsious bodies.

On a whim I tried using it to control the limbs, cloth, and such on a walking model, and make them dangle or be moved in a way that looks natural. The results are much better than I had hoped! The code was put together inside of a day, so it's a little rough around the edges, but it shows great promise. As you play, keep in mind that there are NO pre-made motions applied to the model.

Download here: Walk.zip

On a side note, I texured the Jaguar model using Lee Page's Tattoo.

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#2]
I like watching the boobies.

googlemesilly(Posted 2003) [#3]
that is cool !!!
did u make the model in milkshape ?

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#4]
Nice demo. I'm not entirely convinced that her legs should be so dynamic, but the rest of her has a unique quality.

googlemesilly(Posted 2003) [#5]
are you going to turn this into a game ?

Kuron(Posted 2003) [#6]
This works AWESOME!!! She's cute :c) Cute booty on her, too ;c) Time for a cold shower... Is she free on Friday night?

Dave(Posted 2003) [#7]
yeah this is pretty good! nice work here Al!

I would suggest you dont have everything dynamic though, for example the leg's look wrong when moving...

Rottbott(Posted 2003) [#8]
Impressive!

I shall resist making another comment on her chestal area.

I especially like the cloth effect, been after an effect like that myself.

John-Robin(Posted 2003) [#9]
VERY impressive! Real good work!

John-Robin

NTense(Posted 2003) [#10]
Wow, that looks great!... I love the model to..

Al Mackey(Posted 2003) [#11]
Answers time.. The model itself was made in LightWave. There's obviously still some bits of it that need texturing (hair, wood, metal) but the actual body has a much better texture than I could have ever managed without a program like Tattoo.

Once my shooter game is complete, my next game will very likely be more charachter-oriented and use the ragdoll engine (if I can get the bugs out and squeeze some more speed out of it.. it's still too slow for more than 1 detailed body at a time). It will probably be some sort of RPG.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#12]
This works AWESOME!!! She's cute :c) Cute booty on her, too ;c) Time for a cold shower... Is she free on Friday night?

So lonely.

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#13]
The model itself was made in LightWave.

Well that explains why it is so... yummu? :)

Great stuff!

Rob(Posted 2003) [#14]
Nice one!

I think genexi will like this.

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#15]
Do rigid body physics involve restrained verlets?

Very nice demo, and a lovely model!

Al Mackey(Posted 2003) [#16]
I don't think they're technically Verlets, but they're sort of similar. The main difference is that my BodyPoints track what angle they're at, which allows them to easily restrain angles. Another difference is that they have a simple hierarchical parent-child relationship with each other, instead of a cage made of springs like Verlets would have.

Tranz(Posted 2003) [#17]
Get that system sped up to handle four characters on screen and say hello to "Extreme Cheetah Beach VolleyBall!"

Seriously though, very nice!

Rottbott(Posted 2003) [#18]
restrained verlets

I hadn't noticed she was particularly restrained.. :D

SopiSoft(Posted 2003) [#19]
well done so far!!

gameproducer(Posted 2003) [#20]
Heh, sweet :)

IPete2(Posted 2003) [#21]
Wow!

Great work Al.

IPete2.

Genexi2(Posted 2003) [#22]
Rob : Nice one! I think genexi will like this.

Damn right....

Anyway, Tranz, its a Jaguar for one thing.....as for the physics itself, dunno if its me but her legs seem a little "stiff", like as if she were being hung by strings and moving around and all....

On another topic, I better get back to that Joan of Arc tut. so I can learn how to model anthro's myself in my modellin' proggy like you did there....

Apollonius(Posted 2003) [#23]
I think her boobs are alive, look at them when shes not moving :S

Nebula(Posted 2003) [#24]
Nice,

the way the legs work look unfinished. The breast movement looks unrealistic. They stretch out. I think they should move more as a whole using the bra as the base for movement.

Being able to climb the tower was nice btw.