Behold my incredible lack of modelling skill - Part 3!

Community Forums/Showcase/Behold my incredible lack of modelling skill - Part 3!

Rottbott(Posted 2003) [#1]
Some models I've done for my MMORPG. The textures are mainly made by a friend of mine because my textures are terrible :-)

All the models were made, textured and animated in Milkshape.

One of the player meshes:

Another (an evil bugger this one):

For people needing a snooze:

Or somewhere to stay:

Some scary looking transport:

And a truly terrifying enemy to fight:

googlemesilly(Posted 2003) [#2]
I like the bed the best ! :)

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#3]
That horse is AWESOME!

Koriolis(Posted 2003) [#4]
Wow! That's, err... no forget it :p
(cool, I have a small chance not being the worst modeler in the world if I ever try one day, eh eh).

Eh, I like the horse too, it looks like it smoked too much weed :)

Micha(Posted 2003) [#5]
That horse is cool :)
I love the evil grin on itīs face

Rottbott(Posted 2003) [#6]
I'm afraid that I am the one responsible for the house texture - that and the house are the only two my friend didn't make. The house textures are the ones that came with DarkBASIC about 4 years ago.

The black version of the horse looks really really evil :-)

Dave(Posted 2003) [#7]
lol! I personally think it look's pretty unique and not bad looking....you've created your own style!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#8]
cool post-post-modern style. Imagine some Toon sketches on MTV or something are using these.

Isaac P(Posted 2003) [#9]
I think these are fine... nobody will know that the result is down to your lack of modelling skill... but will think its a groovy modelling style in itself..

trust me.. your on to a winner.. dont change a thing.. the horse is the best... but the house doesnt really fit in with this 'style' you have created..

:)

googlemesilly(Posted 2003) [#10]
hold on, isn't that horse Quickdraw McGraw ? lol

Kuron(Posted 2003) [#11]
Cool, Tim Burton looking models :c)

Rottbott(Posted 2003) [#12]
Thank you for your comments :-)

You wouldn't be so kind if you'd seem them animating though! :D

I hope to be able to post some in game shots within a month or so, and there'll be an open BETA not long after that. My main problem is finding a host for the server.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2003) [#13]
yes... these people are being very nice to you...

... those are really quite bad Rotty, almost as bad as my attempts to model people (i wouldn't even try a horse yet).

(j/k)

--Mike

Rottbott(Posted 2003) [#14]
Ah, that's more like it!

... I've been trying to do a horsey for ages.

3DBuzzFan(Posted 2003) [#15]
Man, you must be a very good baker, or butcher, or programmer, or whatever...
For now, Iīd advise you to keep your day job...
Man, that horse is... incredibly... terrifying.
I am not sure what to say about it.
I do not mean to discourage you... but I have to!
Man... oh, boy...
But, worst of all... Iīd love to see that horse in a game.
Something must be wrong with me... The horse sucks... no, really... but I just loved it.
Yes, you can lie... tell people it is your own personal modelling style... this could work :^D
Man, oh... that horse.
I wonder what its animations would look like...
I am looking forward to seeing that thing moving.
Please, add some animations to it and let us know...

Cheers,

Rui Barbosa Jr.

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#16]
those are really quite bad Rotty, almost as bad as my attempts to model people (i wouldn't even try a horse yet).
Of course they are horrible, but that's the great thing. Good ol' Rottbott ain't scared of showing off his incredible lack of modelling skills, and this is something I can only applaud! It's like child drawings, they suck, but are very pretty at the same time, because of the naivety (or whatever it is in English)

Oh, and btw the horse really is AWESOME! You rock Rottbott!

Kuron(Posted 2003) [#17]
Horse is my fave too. Love Tim Burton and I can see these in a CGI sequel to Nightmare Before Christmas. Much better than I can do.

House is one of the better I have seen for Blitz so far.

Rottbott(Posted 2003) [#18]
Ah, Fredborg, my biggest fan.. :P

Rui:

Here's the horse in game:
http://marksweb.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/screenshots/Evil!.JPG

To see them animating you'll have to wait for the BETA.
Chances are if you ever play it you'll be scarred for life anyway.

googlemesilly(Posted 2003) [#19]
lol ! ... better than I could do but it
reminds me of playschool - lol J/K

Tranz(Posted 2003) [#20]
The Black horse ROCKS!!!

The devilish smile, that look in his eye...he's got things going on in his head...dark and scary things...

I started on a model for you, but haven't heard from you in awhile so never finished it.

Now I see what a good thing that really was! If I had finished that model, the world would have been deprived of these wonders!

They have a certain 'charm'.

I don't know if I can match that 'style' but if you need other models let me know, but be warned...I have a tendency to put hands on all the humanoid models I make.

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#21]
Yes, they are awful. And yep, like most people here, I reckon they're great too! I love the way you don't let being bad stop you. It sure beats being professional-yet-boring.

Rottbott(Posted 2003) [#22]
Tranz:

Hands. Ah. Yes. I was just about to do the hands actually. Haha. Yes indeed. Hands, right. OK.

By the way, did you notice the large boots he's wearing? :D

if you need other models let me know

I need lots :-) Scenery of all sorts (plants, trees, buildings, fences, rocks), enemies, more boots, hats, shields, swords, players, NPCs, everything!

So if you did feel like doing anything that'd be great, if you want, email me and I can send you example models for boots/hats, animation frames description for players and enemies etc.

Email is rottbott @ hotmail.com.

And thanks everyone for being so nice to that poor deformed horse an' a' that :)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#23]
Thanks God Picasso didn't have a Computer, because then we would have to say now "Rottbott that's a cheap Picasso copy".

3DBuzzFan(Posted 2003) [#24]
Oh, boy... that horse.
Iīve seen the screenshot.
I must say that it is disgusting, but is very cool at the same time. No, Iīm jnot trying to be funny. Thatīs what I really think.

Now, the devil on top of tye horse... that one is pretty bad. It realy sucks. And it doesnīt look cool... sorry.
But the horse... you can put anything on top of it, and people wonīt even botter to look at them, because they will not be able to take their eyes off the horse.
It would make a very nice logo.

Congratulations --- well, not sure if that is the case; anyway...

Rui Barbosa Jr.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2003) [#25]
... ya know, that last shot may have some possibilities.

you may be on the leading edge of a new computer art movement...

... no, seriously.

--Mike

3DBuzzFan(Posted 2003) [#26]
"If you need other models, let me know"

DO you have any doubt?
Send him all the models you have.
Even the first cube you have modeled when you started learning 3d modelling... that one, without texture.

You never know, RottBott might use some high-quality models like that cube, right?

Hehehe... couldnīt help myself :^)

Rui Barbosa Jr.

Rottbott(Posted 2003) [#27]
OK here's another two in-game shots. The daytime one is quite old, note that the horse doesn't have teeth. Also note the traffic cone on the character's head.

Murphy(Posted 2003) [#28]
i think this is genius!
really.
i like this style a lot.

3DBuzzFan(Posted 2003) [#29]
Hey, RottBott...

One quick question for you...
Have you ever SEEN a horse?
hehehehe

Rui Barbosa Jr.

Kuron(Posted 2003) [#30]
The dude on the white horse with the funky hat, reminds me of Don Quixote the only thing missing is Sancho Panza

Rottbott(Posted 2003) [#31]
I make all my models from images in my head, rather than using reference material.

This may explain a lot about my models, but it raises the question: can anyone with stuff like that in their head actually be sane?

Tranz(Posted 2003) [#32]
There exists a fine line between genius and insanity...I think that line is well beyond blurred here, RottBott totally erases it.

3DBuzzFan(Posted 2003) [#33]
hehehehe

Jim Teeuwen(Posted 2003) [#34]
LMAO! The horses and the guy with the traffic-cone-head definatly need to stay :D Thats just genius stuff!
If you manage to get ALL models done in your 'style' id definatly consider buying :) Very artistic!

3DBuzzFan(Posted 2003) [#35]
Now, serious.
I like the horse.
Definitely.
I like it more than I used to like South Park.
Remember South Park?
When I first saw it, I disliked it more then I... er... I loved your horse...
But, currently, I love south park.
So, you see...
You just have to pretend that you did it like that because you wanted to :^)
Serious about the horse, ok?

Cheers,

Rui Barbosa Jr.

Loocipher(Posted 2003) [#36]
can anyone with stuff like that in their head actually be sane?

No. And you think it's bad seeing the models... try living with him. Terrifying.

Rottbott(Posted 2003) [#37]
Thank you. Oh yes, thank you very much!

Rui, yes, I realise you like the horse. I'll see if I can get a .gif of it walking..

Neo Genesis10(Posted 2003) [#38]
Cool! Horses with cheesy grins and Satan's stunt double! Good work, Rottbott. I've been trying to get to grips with 3D texturing myself (currently planar/face mapping is my best friend!) so I can see where you're comming from. It seems a lot easier than it turns out to be.

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#39]
Why not have a go with Tattoo! I'd love some user created screenies to post on the website. ;)

Here

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#40]

Also note the traffic cone on the character's head.

Good job you pointed that out or I might have missed it ;o)

Rottbott(Posted 2003) [#41]
Neo - I've been making and texturing my own models for years now and I'm still crap! I've got a lot better in the last 6 months though so try and imagine what my stuff looked like before that!

Terabit - OK, I'll download it and give it a whirl.

Anthony - Do you think it's a bit too subtle then? :D

3DBuzzFan(Posted 2003) [#42]
Oh, my...
Yes, thereīs a traffic cone on top of that thing on top of the horse.
Nice that you pointed out tha tere was something on top of the horse... I have missed it completely...

So, RottBott, it took you years to get that good a 3d modelling, he?
Itwould take nobody *years* to get THAT good.
You are talking dog-years, maybe ?

Rui Barbosa Jr.

Rottbott(Posted 2003) [#43]
Well it took me about 1 year to get to grips with making the meshes. Then another year to get the hang of mapping textures. Then another for animation... etc. :-)

LineOf7s(Posted 2003) [#44]
Everyone's looking for something different with their games. Something unique. I tells ya, your modelling style (or self-admitted lack thereof) is exactly the sort of thing that would get me to take a second look at this game. All you need to do is stay consistently...er.. 'unique', and you're onto a winnner.

I've seen games coded with placeholder graphics of rectangles for planes that have kept (sane) people occupied for hours. Make sure the underlying game is fun, and people will not be worried about any lack of modelling skill. That devil on horseback (and the one with the traffic cone on his head) made me laugh out loud. :o)

*(Posted 2003) [#45]
Brilliant stuff, Rottbott keep at it as they say practice makes perfect :). I like the horse too =)

Al Mackey(Posted 2003) [#46]
It's been said before, but it must be said again. That horse is totally awesome.

3DBuzzFan(Posted 2003) [#47]
Not really...
It must be some woodoo stuff inside the horse that make us feel that it is incredibly awesome.
But I found out tha, when you try to visualize it on a mirror, the magic is gone and thereīs absolutely not dangerous to stare at it for too long.
My best guess is that RottBott has stuffed the horse moddel with some woodoo mesh... because the horse actualy sucks.
Wha have you done to use, RottBott?
What kind of sorcery have you used?
Set us free!
Let go...

Cheers,

Rui Barbosa Jr.

GitTech(Posted 2003) [#48]
"Tilbury town"? :)

Rottbott(Posted 2003) [#49]
Named after a lovely little village in Essex that goes by the name of Tilbury.

GitTech(Posted 2003) [#50]
Ah,I thought you were referring to the town Tilburg, in the Netherlands :)

Rottbott(Posted 2003) [#51]
Sorry, nope, I'll change it to Tilburg if you like :-) Tilbury is a hole anyway.

Neo Genesis10(Posted 2003) [#52]
Well it took me about 1 year to get to grips with making the meshes. Then another year to get the hang of mapping textures. Then another for animation... etc. :-)
I've only *really* been using 3DS Max for 6 months. Although I've owned it for over a year now, I hadnt really put much effort into learning *how* to use it. Its only in the last two weeks that my modelling skills have greatly increased though (I can do proper UV mapping kinda).

Just dont go down the animation road - my 'walking stickman' was horrendously comedic. I might post it sometime just to give you all a good laugh.

Al Mackey(Posted 2003) [#53]
I've been using LightWave since 1992 and I'm only just now really coming to grips with it.