Singularity 3.03

Community Forums/Showcase/Singularity 3.03

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#1]
Download(4.21 mb)

This version returns to a sci-fi theme, thanks to the help of Matt Gilg and Psionic, and especially to Yves Allaire. The dynamic lights are not very optimized, but I wanted to wait and figure out what I needed them to do before trying to make them faster. Texture masks will only look right at 32-bit depth, but I am planning to change the masking system, so I didn't fix it.

Features
-Multi-pass lighting for dynamic weapon flash lighting.
-Beginnings of BSP compilation.
-Collision, occlusion, and footstep sounds controlled per material with shader files.

Please take note of the included license agreement.

Knotz(Posted 2003) [#2]
Ahem, the link is broken....

Isaac P(Posted 2003) [#3]
halo is still uploading it.. give him time :)

Knotz(Posted 2003) [#4]
yep, dl'ing it now.

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#5]
Good stuff man! The cube map ( well at least that's what it looks like) one of the weapons, is it a reflection of whats behind the player? Very cool. Like the reflections on the door and the two bits on the ceiling too, very nice!.

Another really cool thing is the controls. It's very important IMHO for fps. That's why i think HALO is really good. Didn't like MOH for that reason. You should have the option to use cleartexturefilters, so there's no mipmapping, if you computer can handle it.

Oh and the reflection on the door is in black and white. Is it supposed to be that way?

Very impressed :o)

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#6]
Next up...
-Character model (Ben is almost done).
-BSP compiler. Yes, the real thing.
-Terrain, integrated into the engione the right way.

I need:
-More weapons.
-Projectiles for the shotgun and pistol.
-More sci-fi static meshes!
-Tree and plant models for the outdoor scenes.
-Concept art for aliens enemies.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#7]
AWESOME!

IPete2(Posted 2003) [#8]
downloading now

Thanks RockStar!

IPete2.

Gnu(Posted 2003) [#9]
Great demo RockStar! Very exciting to see blitz in this light. You can use any of the concept drawings I made a while ago for Project Plasma... That's if they're of any use to you.

Gnu

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#10]
nice. Saw it on the main page. dling now. can't wait to check out singularity with cubemapping.

Tracer(Posted 2003) [#11]
Only one tiny little room?? Or am i missing something? :)

Tracer

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#12]
Nice try.

Matt2222(Posted 2003) [#13]
Great Job Josh!!
I expect great things in the coming year....
(guitar wails hard)
Sweet.

-Matt Gilg

DH(Posted 2003) [#14]
Odd, each time I run it I only get 0-2 FPS (well, it starts out at 2 and bogs down to 0 after the credits are finished).

Geforce 4 ti 4200 here, 1.6 ghz with 1 gig of ddr.

Is anyone else getting this horrid slowdown?

Tracer(Posted 2003) [#15]
Not really a slow down.. but my "nice try" stands, one little tiny room :)

Tracer

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#16]
I ain't working for you, bitch.

DH(Posted 2003) [#17]
I ain't working for you, bitch.

With 0 FPS I foresee you aren't going to be working for anyone in the Game Development Industry! O_o

poopla(Posted 2003) [#18]
Jesus halo, try being nice. Nice work, but be nice to you possible community.

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#19]
Any possiblity for double weapons? Ie. the guy holding a shotgun in each arm? That'd be cool!

GfK(Posted 2003) [#20]
I think Tracer made a valid point about there only being one *tiny* room.

Erm, wow. Nowhere to go, nothing to shoot at and the only weapon I seem to have looks and sounds like a paintball gun. Not much of a demo IMHO. :/

Oh, and it bombs out if I press 'N'.

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#21]
the only weapon I seem to have

Have you tried mouse wheel? I can change weapons using that.

Few random comments:

-FPS is good, but varies *a lot*, from 50-125 (P3@733, GF3ti200GS (15% faster than normal ti200))
-Changing weapons would be nicer if there would be somekind of put-weapon-away-and-lets-have-another animation, not instant switch
-Use the standard WASD keys! Cursor keys suck...

GfK(Posted 2003) [#22]
Have you tried mouse wheel?
No. What mouse wheel? Not everyone has a mousewheel and games that depend on them are... well, silly, really. I have a keyboard with 108 keys on it. Why the necessity to cram every game control onto the mouse??

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#23]
how about the left shift key, if your using the wasd keys :).

What does the functions keys do exactly. I've got a crappy keyboard that has it's own functions for functions key, so they don't work.

andy_mc(Posted 2003) [#24]
excellent demo rockstar, pay no attention to these non believers! They can post their own demos if they know so much.
FPS on my system, 1ghz, gefore4MX were around 60, so no problems there, I suggest other people check their drivers. Only slow down I noticed was firing the rocket gun thing, but that's obviously too many large polys near the camera, liked the cube mapping on the environment, very nice. Are you planning to make this multiplayer, it could just be the first game actually be seen on this site using Gnet :-)
p.s. are you keeping it open source? If so I'm after getting involved, I'm no artist but my programming ain't too bad.

poopla(Posted 2003) [#25]
/me has to ditch the mesh multri surface particle system he is using.

Anyone care to post code to rotate a mesh vertex by vertex?

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#26]
Well, dev. This might be a different way to do it, and probably not the right way, but the way i done it was to take each vertex and rotate each point using sin and cos. Rotated all the vertexs around the z axis, then the y then the x. It was the only way i could think of doing it. I couldn't grasp any other way!

poopla(Posted 2003) [#27]
Hey halo, how are you doing the lighting btw? Thx for the tip ross.

Ice9(Posted 2003) [#28]
I got a nice little River Dance thing going.

Dave(Posted 2003) [#29]
Been waiting a while for this new release and i must say i am NOT disappointed! Some excellent work from Halo and others.

This is starting to take shape very nicely, and soon will be more than a good enough base to build an FPS title from scratch. infact i'ts starting too (ironically) look like HALO on the PC..

I am a massive fan of bump-mapping though and feel we could have much higher resolution in game object's using bump mapping, this would be great for the actor's in game also. Their are tool's available to convert high resolution meshes into normal map's while spitting out a lower resolution mesh to go with it (www.crytek.com for example).

I cant wait for the rigid body physics on the actor's and general support for physics within the engine. I feel once physics are implimented, shadows are highely important to clearly show how the physics are working within the enviroment, its makes the whole enviroment seem more realistic.

One thing i would love todo is create some levels for demostration purposes of this engine. I am a very good level designer and had a few max payne levels on magazine cover cd's (PC Gamer for example). I do all the texture work myself and its of photo-realistic quality.

I dont have any spare cash just now for CShop though, maybe if i composed some sci-fi music and releasd the texture pack some form of agreement could be brought about? I do have no plans to make anything commercial/shareware with regard's to game development, and if i ever did i respect the license agreement included within the package - i simply like making free stuff!

I want to help with this project and feel i could create some high quality sci-fi map's using bump mapping (if possible, espically since i created a host of normal map's to go with the texture's i'm working on).

Anyway nuff' bragging...looking forward to the next release!

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#30]
The dynamic lighting is very cool! love the way the light bends round stuff :)

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#31]
hmmm. It appears that the lighting isn't pixelated at all. I guess it was just the low resolution movie. I like the glow effect over the door.

I gave some thought to our "plane equation", And I'm thinkin that nx,ny,nz are the planes normals, and d is the distance from the origin to the nearest point on the plane. I hadn't heard of a plane equation before, so it's new to me. am I right? wrong?

Would two completly unconnected triangles along the same plane be put in the same mesh?

oh yeah, and how about a free copy of cshop upon delivery of verlet physics system? I decided I might as well learn how to right entities for your system, making it probably easier for you and me.

The menu demo in the gui section is pretty cool. seems alittle slow on my system though?

Dave(Posted 2003) [#32]
their is utterly no reason for ANYONE to disrespect josh's work here, its totally uncalled for. If you dont want to use it, dont download it and complain. Lets be honest, this was only a short "technical" demostration NOT a whole game, the small test room shows MORE than enough of the effects available and due to the room's small size it shows off the dynamic lighting very clearly and was the main reason for this demo release.

i can clearly understand why josh is getting bugged by all the negative stuff above, give the guy a break...

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#33]
Tracer will always say something negative, no matter what. He leaked the Blitz3D beta back in the old days, and all he does is lie and make stupid-ass criticisms. Otherwise, I might have listened to him or given his question some validity.

I don't mind honest criticism and serious questions, but those facetious happy-face-punctuated George-Bray-esque comments are pure crap.

Tranz(Posted 2003) [#34]
When I switch to the second gun, rocket launcher I think it was, the flares, wall marks, and particles around that fan disappeared.

They appear again while any other gun is active.

The light effect is nice, but it ignores the imported mesh objects completely and only works on the 'brush' parts of the level.

The rocket launcher causes massive frame loss if fired rapidly, maybe put a delay on that thing to prevent it from firing as often?

And yeah, the level is really small, would have been more impressed with more area to run around in.

That's honest criticism, just my two cents, don't bite my head off, haha!

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#35]
Cool.

Lights only work on brushes right now. I have a couple of ways to light meshes, and I am thinking about the best option to choose.

The RPG is slow because it fires a hell of a lot of rockets really fast, and the smoke isn't single-surface yet.

Dave(Posted 2003) [#36]
i've been thinking of unique fps weapon's which would be fun. I liked in duken nukem the ability to "kick" the actor's.

When the rigid body "ragdoll" physics make it into one of the next releases, the idea was to have the ability to kick the actors down stair's, off ledge's, etc. This would be pretty fun to playaround with.

I'm also a fan of throwing weapon's such as the knife that was featured in the previous release, again combined with the ragdoll physic's some really nice things could happen with this because if the abilty to remove limb's from actors (ala SOF) you could have a two state weapon such as a knife which could be thrown or used to cut people up...

I like violence in fps games! :-) hopefully we can have a nice particle system for realistic gore effects (decals, etc)...

If i were to create a small technical demostration (as i plan todo using the engine) i'm thinking about a kind of Alien Vs. Predator style demostration....

Screenshots will be coming soon josh! been very busy tonight working on the new textures.

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#37]
You go someone to do your particles? I know you have them in the game, but just asking anyway.

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#38]
answers to my previous questions????

I'm was thinkin of using blitz collisions to make it simple, fast, and easy, but this custom bsp engine sounds cool, and I think it *might* be faster and definitly more realistic for my collisions.

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#39]
This uses Blitz collisions, at least for now.

I gave some thought to our "plane equation", And I'm thinkin that nx,ny,nz are the planes normals, and d is the distance from the origin to the nearest point on the plane. I hadn't heard of a plane equation before, so it's new to me. am I right? wrong?

Perfectly correct.

Would two completly unconnected triangles along the same plane be put in the same mesh?

Yes. Well, maybe. I'm not sure yet.

oh yeah, and how about a free copy of cshop upon delivery of verlet physics system? I decided I might as well learn how to right entities for your system, making it probably easier for you and me.

No. Too many people are asking me for free stuff since I gave JFK a copy.

The menu demo in the gui section is pretty cool. seems a little slow on my system though?

That's why it isn't in there yet. It uses Writepixelfast to draw the text, and it looks like Writepixelfast isn't fast enough.

poopla(Posted 2003) [#40]
Halo, that didnt help much on giving me theory about the lights :|. Oh well, cheers.

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#41]
When I press N (in either the compiled version or running from source), the game crashes.

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#42]
I removed some of the media necessary for the night goggles, so yeah, that will crash.

Sledge(Posted 2003) [#43]

Is anyone else getting this horrid slowdown?

Yeah. Broadly, for me, it's due to my machine having been on for a few days... after a quick reset it jumps from hanging around a woeful 5fps to between 50 and 110. The previous Singularity demo behaved similarly (or rather I should say that my machine behaved similarly with the previous demo... although stuff like Vice City does not suffer from this crippled behaviour). I've noticed some of my own Blitz-coded stuff breaking down like this too so it's unlikely to be anything Halo's done; just a Blitz foible with certain hardware/driver combos I'd guess. Doesn't a reset help any?

Nice stuff Halo.

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#44]

thas ok. I was just thinking it would be a good "motivator" for me to finish it. I'll "probably" buy it anyway, once the crash problems are fixed.

Could you perhaps put in another bit of information along with the plane equation? how about if the mesh is a quad, it stores the roll, length and width? This stuff would be best pre-processed so that the collisions would run faster. If this is inconvenient, it'd be fine just to do normal tris-line collisions. The best preproccessing possible would be to store each tris/quad along with a transformation/rotation matrice to be instantly applied to convert global to local worlds. I expect this to be way inconvenient, but maybe you are already calculating this or have a good use for it other than physics.

Andy(Posted 2003) [#45]
*Nice*, and it runs fast too!

around 65 FPS on a Celeron 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, Geforce 256 DDR.

Andy

Smurfpuss(Posted 2003) [#46]
wow RockStar this is amazing like i woulde love to make some small creapy monsters for this like you woulde evolve this to a complet game like it has a Halo Alien felling about it like wow some screams in the back ground and dead bodys on the ground wow woulde be so cool

Dave(Posted 2003) [#47]
just a quick question Josh, when can we expect the next release? I know its soon to ask considering you dont have the character model yet.

Also what will be the biggest thing's to come in the next release?

DH(Posted 2003) [#48]
Yeah. Broadly, for me, it's due to my machine having been on for a few days... after a quick reset it jumps from hanging around a woeful 5fps to between 50 and 110. The previous Singularity demo behaved similarly (or rather I should say that my machine behaved similarly with the previous demo... although stuff like Vice City does not suffer from this crippled behaviour). I've noticed some of my own Blitz-coded stuff breaking down like this too so it's unlikely to be anything Halo's done; just a Blitz foible with certain hardware/driver combos I'd guess. Doesn't a reset help any?

Actually, that worked.. Usually my machine run for a few months before it needs a reboot, however it seems that this requires one. Ran strong 60 fps (refresh rate max) the entire time.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#49]
You know, I've seen that as well. I use my own code to handle timing in my games and sometimes they just decide to start being choppy for some reason. I reboot the machine and everything is lovely again.

Dave(Posted 2003) [#50]
it can be down to many problem's, mainly memory leads in running processess that cause that slowdown. For example one of the applications i had loaded once had a bad GDI leak which was causing alot of system slowdown...

Skitchy(Posted 2003) [#51]
Wow. I mean ... wow.
This *could* become the elusive AAA product that finally puts Blitz at the top. I'm not arse kissing here - but I hope I'm proved right because it would help us all in the long run.

Okay, seeing as this is a kind of 'beta-test' thread here's my findings :
Crashed out immediately on a VooDoo3, even in debug mode with a Memory Access Violation. I'm *almost* certain that means 'Not enough video memory - Why the hell are you still using a VooDoo card from 1998' because...

On my normal machine (Radeon 64MB DDR VIVO - semi-old) it runs perfectly at around 70 FPS. The only issue at this stage is that when you fire the gun the FPS drops considerably to 27. Not sure if this is the dynamic lighting or something related to the fill rate on the muzzle-flash/bullets.

One small thing I particularly liked was the way the lense-flares fade in and out quickly instead of just suddenly popping up. I know that real lense-flares do the latter, but I always thought it looked kind of wrong in games somehow. Nice.

I would like to use the engine at some stage, but the licensing does concern me. I like to pay for stuff up-front so I know what I'm getting. The thing is, it would take at least a year to put together the GFX, sound, characters, story, etc. etc. for a game like this, and I don't like the thought that the license could change in that time, or Josh could just flat-out refuse to grant me a license. Then all the work would have been for nothing. I'm not saying it's likely, but I trust nobody ;)

I'd prefer to pay ... say double for CShop and have the rights to use the engine commercially all the way up to v4 or something. I don't give a f**k about 'official' support - I can always come on here and get an answer anyway. Just put a discaimer in saying something like

"this product is not supported and there is no guarantee that it's bug-free. It is provided 'as is' without warranties of any kind".

And as stated in another post, if it came with CShop instead of as a stand-alone product you'd probably be okay doing it that way.
Keeping it open-source is good too. And it'd be a good thing to have written on the box - POWERED BY SINGULARITY. FULL SOURCE CODE INCLUDED!!!!! As with some other engines, you could put in a clause for people who do not want to give away the source : cost $10,000 ;)

Smurfpuss(Posted 2003) [#52]
well a great story is the one thing like halo has a great story for being a fps game wow like i woulde like to know how master cheif looks under the helmet but maby in halo2 or halo3

Matt2222(Posted 2003) [#53]
Noone should be critisizing Josh here. He has done a lot of work. Josh is one of the *few* people in the blitz community who is not lazy and wants to get somewhere. Just a reminder: *THIS THREAD WAS NOT STARTED SO THAT A BUNCH OF MORONS COULD POST ALL OF YOUR STUPID CRITICAL COMMENTS*
If you ask why it was started, it was started for all the people who have something worthwhile to say, or have problems. This is so that if somebody finds an error, it can be fixed.

Dave:
I would really be interested in seeing some of your work! Right now, I am doing some level modeling for the engine too, but I couldn't finish before this release of singularity. If you want to show me some stuff, you can mail pics to me or just post them here.

Ross C:
If you can integrate a particle system for blood, sparks, ect, that would be awesome!! If you want to do that go for it! You have my support.

EpicBoy:
Quote "Quick point : if you didn't care what people thought, you wouldn't put together a demo, release it on a public messageboard and then engage in conversation about it."
I have read a lot of your posts toward Josh and the engine itself, and i must ask you WHY THE HELL ARE THEY ALL SO NEGATIVE?? I've had problems to you before and in case you don't understand: SOME PEOPLE LIKE THE ENGINE, AND WERE BEGGING FOR ANOTHER RELEASE. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, THEN YOU CAN GO TO HELL. We are not doing this for you. We are releasing things like this so that people that like and respect our hard work will have more to work with. I think that you just need to go away. Sorry I am not exactly being nice, but it really, really pisses me off when you make stupid, ridiculous, and completely disrespectful statements about all of the work that has been done on this engine. You sure do make a lot of noise. I would really, really appreciate it if you would just grow up. If you have a problem with the engine, why not help? Why not state the problem and ask for a possible solution rather that loading up this thread with a bunch of CRAP? Please show some respect.

-Matt

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#54]

Since it's not exactly the tool I need I didn't use it yet. So you probably can give a copy to someone else. eg. to sswift?

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#55]
Ross, implementation of a single-surface particle system would be GREAT.

Just please note that a particle should be able to have it's original emitter deleted without crashing the program. When a rocket entity is spawned, it starts emitting particles, and the rocket is deleted when it blows up. The particles still need to keep going after this occurs.

The more you can make the particle system like the existing one, the easier it will be for everyone who is already familiar with the code, including me! It would be good to have a MoveParticle() function that will move the position of the particle.

The actual vertices should only be moved right before a RenderWorld call, so you need to keep track of particle positions with the UpdateParticle() function, and then have another function for me to call right before the RenderWorld() that will update all the vertices so the particles actually look right.

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#56]
I want a web site set up for this, and a forum. There are a handful of people here who are interested in doing something valuable, and a lot of heckling and noise from failures who just want to make trouble.

Can someone set up a forum?

Warren(Posted 2003) [#57]
Matt
I have read a lot of your posts toward Josh and the engine itself, and i must ask you WHY THE HELL ARE THEY ALL SO NEGATIVE??

Because he's an arrogant ego maniac and his attitude annoys me. Pretty simple, really.

Please show some respect.

Respect is earned, not given.

Isaac P(Posted 2003) [#58]
josh.. have emailed u at your .edu email address regarding singularity website

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#59]
"Egomaniac" is a single word. Just because you don't like me, that isn't a reason to fill every discussion I participate in with a lot of hateful, loathing garbage.

I have set up a site, but thanks for the offer. I just need a forum now.

My email is josh@..., but I will check my old .edu account for your mail.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#60]
"Egomaniac" is a single word.

Well, you would be the expert. I bow to your superior knowledge of the subject.

Just because you don't like me, that isn't a reason to fill every discussion I participate in with a lot of hateful, loathing garbage.

I disagree.

podperson(Posted 2003) [#61]
Nice demo.

I see some weird effects on the door and the grills that form the floor of the deck above you -- they seem to be supposed to be partially reflective, but it's all wrong (I've got an FX 5600 and all the other cube mapping stuff I've tried works fine).

The slow-down for the particle effects from the weapon fire seem extreme (I am getting 200-333fps until I fire a gun, and then drops down to 33 fps for the rocket launcher and 75fps for the simpler weapons -- respectable frame rates but it does seem a tad much).

poopla(Posted 2003) [#62]
Wow... thats a bad loss of frames. But it's because he is using multi surfgace particle systems. Wait till he fixes that. I use a single surface particle system myself, it should help some.

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#63]
The rocket launcher shoots waaaaaay too fast! That's why the slowdown occurs.

poopla(Posted 2003) [#64]
Thats the official word :).

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#65]
ran fine on my machine.

Smurfpuss(Posted 2003) [#66]
i woulde love to give something to this but i am not a good voder but i might make some modells i have some art work i have done i will post them as soon i have a site i can upload my art work to i might not be a coder but i love panting and well i do have some small modelling skills if that is to any use to this prodject

i will post a link later on i can mail rockstar the images and he can judge them him self

Matt2222(Posted 2003) [#67]
Epic boy:

Quote: "Respect is earned, not given."

You are not earning mine.
You sure are immature.

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#68]
I realized my engine would crash quite easily if givin a null type pointer. So, I started creating runtimeerror commands for these cases. How should I handle these cases? they should never happen, but if they did in a real commercial game, I'm sure the player wouldn't enjoy getting a message like "Constraint initalization function givin null entity parameter." Maybe I could add a constant in, so something like:
If e.entity=Null Then 
 if debugging then RuntimeError "Constraint nitalization function givin null entity parameter." else return null

Oh yeah, and if you want a water survace to ever be above a verlet object, like on the next story up in a building, I'm gonna need a minimum y value on the water. That is of course if I ever create the verlet-water interaction. I'm just giving you a heads-up in case their is a possible problem with this in the future.

Kuron(Posted 2003) [#69]
Josh is one of the *few* people in the blitz community who is not lazy and wants to get somewhere
ROFLMFAO@U

Epic, give it a break, its pointless. ;c) Some would rather not heed advice from those who have more experience, they would rather learn from the school of hard knocks. Their choice to do so and their right to do so. Let them be.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#70]
You are not earning mine.

If your respect mattered to me, this would be biting. As it is, you're gumming my leg and it's merely annoying.

White Eagle
Epic, give it a break, its pointless. ;c) Some would rather not heed advice from those who have more experience, they would rather learn from the school of hard knocks. Their choice to do so and their right to do so. Let them be.

You're probably right.

Apollonius(Posted 2003) [#71]
lol EpicBoy I'm new here and your the only one that currently annoys people as I can see, be mature and stop, its not worth it even if you don't like the guy.

Use my motto, you may dislike a person, but don't hate its a waste of time.

The point is your wasting your time.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#72]
Kaisuo

Your input is being valued at the appropriate level.

Apollonius(Posted 2003) [#73]
Wow, a smart ass, goto dislike that type of peoples.

Zenith(Posted 2003) [#74]
Man you guys gotta stop this sometime, it ends up getting deleted anyway, why waste your time?

poopla(Posted 2003) [#75]
If it makes you people feel better, come start ruining plasma's thread instead. Then josh can work without such massive un-needed harassment. Let the guy be, unless you people feel wasting your time, and creating NOTHING but negetive image for the blitz community is the right course of action to be taking.

Apollonius(Posted 2003) [#76]
EpicBoy: Sorry I shouldnt have called you a smart ass, my appologies sir.

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#77]
Sorry Rockstar, i didn't see your reply. About the particles. The emittors are updated, generating new particle, but there is a seperate function for updating the particles, so a deleted emittor would mean all particles onscreen will still rise and do their thing.

Also, i'm starting an event system where particles colliding, will cause a generation of a new emittor. So say, in a RPG, someone casts an ice spell, when the first particle hits the character, a new emittor would be generated, and would start to emit ice steam particles.

Matt2222(Posted 2003) [#78]
Quote: "Epic, give it a break, its pointless. ;c) Some would rather not heed advice from those who have more experience, they would rather learn from the school of hard knocks. Their choice to do so and their right to do so. Let them be.

You're probably right. "

Sorry Epic boy. Forgot that you are the best programmer in the world.

Oh, and by the way Brice, what kind of advice that is of any use to us has epic boy given?? I haven't seen him do anything but whine, complain, and fill this forum with garbage. He has got littering down. I wonder when he will learn to get his crap together and clean up the mess he's made. : )

-Matt

Warren(Posted 2003) [#79]
Oh, and by the way Brice, what kind of advice that is of any use to us has epic boy given?? I haven't seen him do anything but whine, complain, and fill this forum with garbage. He has got littering down. I wonder when he will learn to get his crap together and clean up the mess he's made.

Hey, I've completed a game which is more than most people can say. *shrug*

Matt2222(Posted 2003) [#80]
My point was, that you haven't given me any advice, or Josh, or anyone else involved with this project. You have to give Josh credit, as he has written a very impressive engine.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#81]
My point was, that you haven't given me any advice, or Josh, or anyone else involved with this project.

I very clearly advised everyone to start small and not jump into huge projects like this. That advice went unheeded.

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#82]
Rockstar, maybe alot of the dlls should be converted to bb, since I recently heard that the c/c++ speed boost is not enough to counteract the time it takes to transfer the data unless you are doing something requiring heavy iterations. Either that, or a feature not available to blitz. So basically, if you're using those math dlls just for a "speed boost", I would definetly recomend you just converet each dll to a bb for faster functions.

Oh yeah, and I'm 300 lines into the physics system. That includes intitialization functions, some debugging functions, a bunch of constants, 3 types, and a start on the actual physics code. I expect it to be able to handle some very basic physics with a bit more code, especially the line-tris collision code. I'm trying to figure out what method is fastest. If I can get something faster than linepick (using Rockstar's future bsp stuff), I *should* be able to get all collision stuff working, even edge-edge collisions ota be easily atainable (although calculating the result is a pain in the a$$).

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2003) [#83]
I very clearly advised everyone to start small and not jump into huge projects like this.

And it is very good advice, too.

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#84]
Sent you an email josh.

poopla(Posted 2003) [#85]
Matt, I can tell you right now, he is a MUCH better coder then you. So why don't you give some respect? (That seems to be the favorite statement arround here, among those who like to sling useless mumbo jumbo about.

/me wonders off babling about mumbo jumbo and flying trains into the land of pixies and blue dragons.

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#86]
hmm. this topics kinda slowed down. oh well. I might as well fill in the void.

I'm sick today, which renders me pretty much incapable of doing much but eating, sleeping, reading, watching tv, and programming. I decided to do quite a bit of programming, and now my engine is about 500 lines, and I have a working demo of flying, rotating cubes. No collisions of yet. Most of the code is actually to build other stuff on top of. i could make the same example 100 lines long.

Anyway, Do you remember your suggestion for physics that doesn't need constraints, Rockstar? Well, I think I figured out a way to do it. It's not perfect, but I think it should work really well. Basically, you have three verlets defining object center, and orientation. then you have a bunch of verlets defining the object. each of these remember their start positions. They also remember starting distances from the orientation verlets and the center verlet. In a similar way to constraints, each verlet figures out where the orientation and center verlets should be. this data is then averaged. Then you simply position your mesh at the center point, aligntovector it to the orientation verlets, and finally, tformpoint all of the verlets to their proper position.

A problem exists in integrating this into my normal systems, since the system requiring no constraints has alot of extra data for each verlet. I might simply have that data available, even for a normal verlet, but that would be pretty wasteful of ram. Oh well. I guess it's the only way other than making a whole new system. This system would still work with collisions to since I'm going to implement a collision constraint that doesn't correct verlet distance, but does correct when collided with.

Matt2222(Posted 2003) [#87]
bot builder:

e-mail me at nws2222@... if you are still interested in working on the Singularity project. If you send mail, you must be serious.

-Matt

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#88]
hmmmm. Well, I am definetly very interested in integrating physics in singularity. if by "serious" you mean that I pledge to definitly complete the physics, then no, definitly not. I'm doing this out of my own good will, and hope that I succeed in completing it, so I would like to be able to say I'm not going to finish it. I will however, say that I will work hard on the project, towards hopefully finishing or giving someone else a good start. I think I'll email you. Should I include what I have so far?

Matt2222(Posted 2003) [#89]
Dev:
Sorry if you took my post the wrong way. I did not say that I was a better coder than he is. I am startled by the fact that you jump to conclusions so readily in his defense.

Quote: "Matt, I can tell you right now, he is a MUCH better coder then you. So why don't you give some respect?"

Because he hasn't said one positive thing about the engine. Is it his responsibility to fill this thread with crap? He hasn't displayed any interest, so why is he here? Sorry, I guess that fact is confusing be. He seems a bit rude.

-Matt

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#90]
might as well email you then..... not that you said anything. I got the source all nice and cleaned up.

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#91]
Hey, since Josh has dropped this, i'm still interested in helping out. :)

Matt2222(Posted 2003) [#92]
RossC:
If you are interested e-mail me at nws2222@...
I think that we could REALLY use your help with a particle system.
Thanks,
Matt

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#93]
Halo became pretty silent these days, did I miss something?

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#94]
I was wondering about that to, jfk. Perhaps he's working so hard on singularity he hasn't checked the forums. Let's hope. Maybe the bsp system will be done.... that would be really cool.

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#95]
I think he's disappearing, probably due to the negativity on these forums. I also think he's dropped singularity :(

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#96]
Maybe he's in the hollydays. Or maybe we really scared him too much. I don't think he's dropped Singularity, he will rather release a complete Level on a fully copyright protected Base soon, just to show what we miss. Well, overreaction isn't very untypical for Halo, as we know. Not that I am perfect or something :)

When he came up with those political controversary Topics I usually was on his side, but I hated to read the speech of the Patrioids on the other side, so I usualy used to wish he better didn't start it.

Halo is a Person with many facettes. Like Yin and Yang - sometimes he sucks and sometimes it's the opposite.

Probably he's just reading this and is thinking "dammit it's about time they miss me!" - halo?

Or maybe it's something completely diffrent. However, I hope he's ok.

Matt2222(Posted 2003) [#97]
You won't be hearing from us too often anymore. That is all that I can say.

-Matt Gilg

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#98]
check out the polycount pimping and preview forums, rockstar seems to have migrated there. i tried to scare him by saying hello
(just kidding,no offence meant)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#99]
Hey Matt, are you talking to me? And if so, what's the problem?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#100]
Ruz . I've seen it. :) Now they know it - "it's BASIC - arrg!!!" ;) . I've seen he added a nice HUD. Maybe a bit too bright, but a nice Idea.

Even if we scared him he might have learned that it's a bad idea to say "you must buy my Editor to use this open source engine" and I hope he will not repeat this mistake at polycount.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#101]
Hey, I've enjoyed this board a lot more since he left. The two events may be related, who can say...

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#102]
How is it that a topic on an FPS engine can degenerate to such an extent?

Its all a bit sad really !

Warren(Posted 2003) [#103]
Welcome to the Internet.

Matt2222(Posted 2003) [#104]
No, jfk I am not talking to you. I am just saying that I am not going to bother with most of the blitz community as much as I used to. I might post models, but that is about all. I'm tired of all of the jerks. (you are not one of them jfk.)
Later,
-Matt

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#105]
Ok, Matt, thanks. It's not easy to ship around the non-technical topics, for none of us :)

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#106]
He probably had the right idea with polycount though jfk. there are a lot of talented artists/programmers?) there.
But having said that I think modders prefer working on mods,since the code base is already there to work on top of

(don't think they will stand for any boasting though, there are just too many of them work in the industry to get easily impressed with anyone.)

Its a good idea though to forge link with other sites like this to get blitz well known.
I was previously a ut/ut2003 modder before I started using blitz and quite frankly had never heard of it, even after searching for ages for game engines on the net.

suppose the down side is that polycount is purely fps territory.

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#107]
>>I am just saying that I am not going to bother with most of the blitz community as much as I used to. I might post models, but that is about all. I'm tired of all of the jerks.

Sorry to hear that... but it would be nice to see your models at least occasionally - there isn't too many good modelers here... meaning that there are tons of excellent coders here but lot less good artists.

It's sad really how things have been here lately, ppl flaming over this and that... but it has not always been like this and things will get better too, It's just one phase in Blitz3D community life. And like all intelligent lifeforms I'm hoping that despite of few drawbacks we ARE evolving! :)

Matt2222(Posted 2003) [#108]
I will still post models, If you would like. I will do it only for the people that respect my work. Thanks Mustang, jfk, botbuilder, RossC, and all of you others that show some respect and support. By the way, check out some music that I have creating in the "Game Music." section of these forums and tell me what you think.

-Matt