Looking for a coder for team

Community Forums/Showcase/Looking for a coder for team

Pongo(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hope this is in the right forum...

I'm trying to get a small team together to develop some games. I am an artist who does *some* coding, so I am looking for a capable coder.

I have thrown some of my graphics on a page here so you can see what I can do.
http://www.redgreenbob.com/proofs/pongo/main.htm

I am interested in making small games that are simple to do and therefore can be completed in a relatively short time. Any type of game is open to me, although I have a few that I would like to do. (you will see some graphics of these on the page above) My current project is the racing game you see there.

A side note: I do not wish to work on an RPG (I've never seen one get finished even though it seems everyone is making one) And I'm not that excited about First person shooters. (Way too many that bring nothing new)

I am interested in old style arcade games and ISO games mostly, although I can create any artwork needed. I would like to team up with an experienced coder, or at least someone that knows what they are doing.

Thanks

white_snake2003(Posted 2003) [#2]
Great art work !
The cars models look fantastic...
Hey, I was thinking of the same thing about a week ago! , a remake of the famous "combat" game in 3D blitz-play with Network support... !!! , are you already coding that project ?!

Anyway, I have made so many games in the past using Pascal , and C / C++ ,especially back in the glory days of AMIGA computing -Man.. I still like old-style arcade action games-, and recently I have been coding with B3D .. but I always sucked in the GFX department...!

I totally can relate to what you're saying, I like to keep my games simple -but- addictive...!!!

check out my latest work , and let me know if we can team up man...<and Don't mind the GFX's , it's horrible>

http://blitz.idigicon.com/project_detailb.asp?ProjectName=3D%20heli

Kuron(Posted 2003) [#3]
I have no interest in coding for you (swamped with my own work), but just wanted to comment that that is some AWESOME artwork!

Snarty(Posted 2003) [#4]
I would also like to just say I'm impressed with the artwork there :)

gosse(Posted 2003) [#5]
Great artwork!

ckob(Posted 2003) [#6]
awesome models

what kinda game did u have in mind?

Algo(Posted 2003) [#7]
Hey Pongo,

Great work.

I've just finished a little game called Zombies, there's a thread about it in this forum. Would you be interested in working with me on redoing it? I was just thinking of new gfx, maybe a change of perspective and some new bad guys to blow apart.

Pongo(Posted 2003) [#8]
Thanks for the good comments,

I've gotten some emails from some people,... I will respond to everyone, but it might take a bit (tending to a sick child this weekend)

To answer a few questions,... right now the game on the top of my list is my 3d RC racing game,... I'd really like to make it work. I can send anyone what I have if they would like to play with some parts. I'm not looking for an all out physics simulation here,... something fun with the cars sliding around, and driven from an RC point of view. I have a working demo of this I will send out on request.

Also on my list is the BTB game (BigTop Bob) this game would be a marble madness/super monkey ball style game with a clown on a unicycle. I've got over 750 frames of animation complete and a small amount of code for this one. There are a few pics of BTB on the above graphics page.

here is a link to another simple game I have started,...the object is to circle the onscreen items without touching them.
http://www.redgreenbob.com/proofs/pongo/blitz/orbit.zip
I had a lot of trouble getting the circle detect working, so right now I've stopped work on it.

Otherwise I'm wide open on the type of game to create,... I love ISO games, and I'd like to create fun games with lots of animation. I prefer smaller games because I want to make sure things will get finished at first,... if I find someone I work well with I would be willing to take on a larger project. I work professionally as a 3D Animator doing mostly TV commercials and a small amount of film work, so this is pretty much a hobby of mine.

ALG,... love your zombie game,... it's a perfect example of the types of projects I want to be doing. I'll send you a private email later.

eBusiness(Posted 2003) [#9]
I would like to see that racing game, seems like a nice job.

Not Available(Posted 2003) [#10]
Pongo,

I am interested in working with you - my focus is the same type of projects (although my focus is exclusivly on 80's style arcade games)- check out http://www.sweetness.net to see what it takes me about 3 weeks to do (about 12,000 lines of code all up), all the games have proper attract/demo sequences etc., just like real-arcade games.

In the real world I work on telco grade messaging products (for 7 years now), so I have a solid understand of network programming, protocol design, encryption methodologies, writing multithreaded servers etc., the compilation on sweetness.net has an internet high-score system etc. (I put this in because I'm perfectly capable of coding internet multiplayer stuff if appropriate)

I highly recommend you download the compilation because the truth is in the motion, not the pictures...

I also have way more complicated stuff (that I haven't released) I can show you if you need more evidence of my ability...

-R

andy_mc(Posted 2003) [#11]
great artowkr, nice low poly models too. I'm currently working on a couple of games and already have two artists working with me, but we're on the look out for more if need be.

Apollonius(Posted 2003) [#12]
Wow I thought I was an artist but hell ur one hell of a 3D artist! nice artwork!

side note, im a 2d artist :P

Techlord(Posted 2003) [#13]
Pongo,

I would be interested in collaboration. Perhaps you would be interested in including TournamentBlitz Service within your games. Its ideal for small games and adds a unique replay incentive. Check out TournamentBlitz Demo here.

Please be aware that the demo highlights basic Tournament Blitz Operation, not the game (which is Mark Sibly's Insectoids). The Tournament Blitz Service can be applied to any game with a score system. Full Developer SDK and Support coming soon.

I'm interested in programming all sorts of 3D Arcade-style games. Which usually are simple, easy to play, and fun. I'm open to new ideas and camera perspectives are of no concern (ie 1stPerson, Top-Down, etc). Check out my first Blitz Game Asteroid Falling.

Lets discuss it...

Mark1nc(Posted 2003) [#14]
Pongo,
Nice artwork.
I downloaded your orbitz game.
www.redgreenbob.com/proofs/pongo/blitz/orbit.zip
It is very similar to Atari's Quantum (updated that is) Great start.
I like the way you have the tail drawing - shimmering randomly - it's a nice effect.

I did a remake of Quantum (Blitzum) a couple years ago:
http:\\www.incitti.com\Blitz

I went through the circle detection coding struggle too.
I managed to get it working 99.99% of the time.

I wouldn't mind working with you on it, if you feel like continuing it.

Currently I'm working on a Marble Madness remake (Marble Insanity) http://xiaou2.homestead.com/marbleinsanity.html
See the Blitzbasic Worklogs section too. It's moving along slowly. With all the additional stuff I've thrown into it, it might be a bit ambitious to get it done without more help. A lot of coding to do and cleanup, not to mention finishing up some graphics.

Anyway - have a look at what I did for Quantum and let me know if you want to continue your Orbitz game.