Looking for feedback

Community Forums/Showcase/Looking for feedback

NTense(Posted 2003) [#1]
Well, I've been working pretty hard on my new game, and thought I'd send it out for a little testing(for those who are interested ;-) ). It is playable from a single player deathmatch vs. the Bots. I don't have many options that you can adjust yet, but you can definitely have a little fun with it.

<edit> Here are some screenies - click for larger image (the last one is an older shot)

<end edit>

Click Here to Download W.O.R. (Wings of Rage: Tournament)

I don't know what kind of system requirements it needs (on the low end). I'm sure it needs at least a 32 MB video card, and probably somewhere in the neighborhood of a 600 - 800 MHz processor minimum, but that's just a guess.

To play, simply go to SinglePlayer Game, and click start in the lower righthand corner. Note that the "Genetic Attributes" panels are not functioning yet (meaning you cant control what abilities your ostrich will have). Everything is randomized for each player (including enemy AI, which produces a great range of behavior patterns). Your top speeds both on ground and in air, your bank rate in the air, how much you can bank, and probably most importantly, your flight endurance will be randomized. Some ostriches will not have a very high flight endurance, and may not be able to fly at all. This is determined each time the game is played (though in the future you'll be able to save the players for future use).

Your standard weapon is an Autocannon with infinite rounds.
There are 4 types of powerups you can get.
Health - Indicated by a Red Cross on the Crate
Armor - Indicated by a Grey Diamond on the Crate (2 of these will fill your armor)
Invulnerability - A Blue Diamond with a yellow center. Provides 30 seconds of Invulnerability
ShotGun - Marked by a White splatter pattern on the crate. Provides 60 rounds of a shotgun. It fires slower and has less range, but really packs a punch when it hits.

Controls:
---------------------------------------------
Movement = A, S, W, D
SpaceBar = Launches you into flight on level or downward sloping ground
otherwise it bursts you to fullspeed on upslopes
LeftMouseButton = Fire Weapon

F10 takes screenshots

F1 turns on/off the AI info mode (framerate will drop using this, but it indicates your "score" a bit compared to everyone else)

Frames per second is displayed in the upper lefthand corner.

Hope you enjoy, and I appreciate hearing your comments.

Craig Watson(Posted 2003) [#2]
Bit of a change from the usual FPS fare.

Since you're probably aware of the normal stuff (needs more weapons etc) I can only suggest you made the player dot on the mini-map an arrow, and make the powerups a bit more obvious.

The target didn't seem to work well, or maybe it's just me, but I found I had to get very close to another player to actually hit them.

Graphics seemed a bit dull but I'm sure you're working on this. You'll also need a way to seal in the playfield, as the first thing I did when I started was fall out :P

Everything performed well on my machine, and the ostriches is definately a new one. Minor criticisms aside, it's pretty good all round really.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#3]
Got any screenshots online?

NTense(Posted 2003) [#4]
@Craig: Thanks for the critique. I think I'm going to have to do the arrow thing for the radar. There's been more than one tester that's suggested that, so I'll dig into it. As far as the graphics being dull, are you referring to the color-scheme, the models, or the overall feel? I tried using full-bright on the models, but then everything looked a little too bright. I'll have to find a happy medium I suppose. I'm working on more weapons and PowerUps as time permits ;-). I appreciate the feedback.

@ jfk: I've got some old screenies on my website (on the Homepage). I'll post some new ones once I get back from work.

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#5]
Hehe, that was pretty fun :) I didn't have any problems really shooting anyone tho, thought it was preety good. I couldn't seem to fly tho, i guess i got to pick up a powerup or something. Press space bar, my guy would fly for about 2 seconds and drop back down :D

Maybe try having a clear sky, with some clouds instead of it being over cast all the time?

Twas cool tho!

NTense(Posted 2003) [#6]
Hi Ross. Try running it again. The ostrich's attributes are randomly generated right now for each game. Yours must have had a low flight endurance. You can get some with a really strong flight endurance and stay airborn quite a bit longer. I'm currently working on a menu selection to choose your "mount's" attributes, and as the game progresses, players will be able to geneticly (sp?) upgrade their birds.

Craig Watson(Posted 2003) [#7]
Mostly I was referring to the colours not standing out much. There doesn't seem to be a lot of contrast, and it all looks very dark.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#8]
Looks promising - very special.

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#9]
This is very cool :)