Tattoo Released

Community Forums/Showcase/Tattoo Released

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#1]
Tattoo the 'Paint directly onto the mesh' texturing tool is now available.

Recent additions include:
Additional Alpha controls
Unbroken airbrush lines
30% Speed improvements over pre-release versions
Gaussian Blur Brush
Alpha Blended Spray Brush and more.

Feel free to drop by the website and download the demo

As usual comments / questions regarding Tattoo are welcome.

Kuron(Posted 2003) [#2]
This looks awesome and VERY easy to use. Now, if I could just learn to model so I could use it, :cp Top notch stuff, as usual, Lee!

bradford6(Posted 2003) [#3]
great Terabit but i get a square artifact that paints on the model in blue. it is like a square outline of the brush.

IPete2(Posted 2003) [#4]
Thanks Lee,

This really is an excellent to the tools we have to develop with. Many, many thanks,

IPete2.

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#5]
@ Bradford6 - Are you running in 16 Bit screen (desktop) resolution?

That would likely cause the problem you are describing. It must be said, that like most modern Artistic packages, it will not work well in 16 bit mode. You need at least 24 Bit or preferably 32 Bit colour really.

Other than that I'm not too sure. As you can see my system specs are pretty much the same as yours.

Nvidia claim to have fixed the slowdown experienced in the 45.23 drivers for the next release. Until they do, 44.03 are the best ones to go for.

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#6]
Lee - I'm getting something like those smeary artifacts I had before on a previous demo. Might be related to bradfords problem.

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#7]
Ok, I'll take as look. Thanks.

granada(Posted 2003) [#8]
Lee
i get a fish scale look when painting with
a round brush,great tool.a lot faster now

dave

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#9]
Hey, this is just what i need to paint my characters :) I've been waiting for something like this! Brilliant work!!

Nebula(Posted 2003) [#10]
Does the tool have a smear brush? Using those brushes making hair and cloth folds only take a single stroke.

Like here using the smudge(smear) tool in psp.
http://www.tiemdesign.com/HOWTO/2002/August/PSPPaintHair/default.htm

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#11]
Sounds good. The closest thing it has at the moment is a Blur Brush.

I'll be taking a look at smear once a couple of other issues are taken care of.

GfK(Posted 2003) [#12]
Why does Tattoo keep appearing and disappearing from the news page?

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#13]
Good question.

I'm not sure about the answer to that one. I deleted one a while back to do with Version 0.95.

I'll repost some news when I have something new to say I suppose.

At the moment, another user has a new news item and I wouldn't want to bump them for no reason.

Doggie(Posted 2003) [#14]
The release version comes closer to working on my system but still isn't useable. It has better luck getting the models to load but the only brush that works is the spray brush, the others just do nothing and when I use the spray brush it paints not only where the brush is at but in seemingly unrelated areas on the model. I guess maybe it has something to do with the geometry of the model. Here's a link where you can download one of the "suspect" models if you'd like to see for yourself or let me know if it works on your end. Man, this is giving me fits since I want your program and money is NO object...frustrating.

http://www.angelfire.com/folk/koffeehaus/dave.html

Click on the dragon picture.

Doggie

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#15]
Yeah I tried it. Basically the UVs are screwed and there are no surfaces defined nor textures applied.

I loaded the model into LightWave, did an Atlas Map and assigned a surface to it, then loaded it into Tattoo. It painted just like any other model. A bit of UV tweaking would do it a power of good.

Most of these types of model are not really set up for texture painting so you need to tweak them in a reputable package.

Out of interest I loaded this model into Deep Paint, and it complained painfully, finally it locked up! So that just goes to show doesn't it!

Space_guy(Posted 2003) [#16]
I would buy this right away if it wasnt for the product activation thingy. It just feels alil unsafe to have to contact you for a new code when reinstalling perhaps in a few years time.
Its a great tool though but i will have to think about it.
I guess the activation is here to stay ey?

Space_guy(Posted 2003) [#17]
and how does it work if u update the program?

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#18]
The registration is not affected by updates, so you won't need to re-register each time you upgrade.

I thought a lot about the registering system..

If I ever decide to discontinue development or anything which would inhibit my ability to send out the codes, I would send out a link to an un-locked version for all registered users.

I'm not planning on going anywhere, but it doesn't hurt to have a backup plan I agree.

Space_guy(Posted 2003) [#19]
thanks. ill consider. my development pc needs a reinstall. i guess i should atleast wait until then.

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#20]
Version 1.07 is now available.

This fixes some tablet support problems and also yields a healthy 20% speed improvement.

Doggie(Posted 2003) [#21]
Terabit...That's kind of funny about Deep Paint locking up.
Been even funnier had it spit it back out at ya!
I made that model in MilkShape in about 15 minutes total time and I made no attempt whatsoever to apply any textures to it. I guess I need to learn more about modelling.
I've always been a hack and slash programmer/artist hobbyist type anyways.
Thanks for your feedback.

Doggie

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#22]
The model itself is fine. Just not had the texturing stage set up on it. Milkshape is pretty good and turns out decent stuff with practice.

The funniest thing with Tattoo is that I'm really a terrible artist! I haven't much of a clue with art... But I know a man who does! :)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#23]
Apropos - Did you already say the Price? And what I would really like to see is some exiting Work, done with Tattoo. I mean, the Girl Head is nice, but it isn't a typical Game content (HighPoly?). So I'd like to see what can be done. And I suggest to give the App to some highly talented Artists (no offence) for free, so they can make you some eyecatching Example Screenies.

An other Idea I had, but maybe this is still too early: HOw about a Bumpmapping Channel with some useful tools?

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#24]
Hi jfk,

Yep a few good artist have tattoo and are working on some more appropriate material. I agree that it would do much more toward the marketing of Tattoo than my efforts.

Bump mapping channels shouldn't be that hard to implement, although I want to concentrate on stability and the core features before I branch out.

QuickSilva(Posted 2003) [#25]
Hi Terabit,

Could you tell me a little bit about the registration process as the text above has left me a little confused (Space_Guy). Do you get a key file to unlock the software when you pay and do you need a new one for each update, re-installation?

Jason.

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#26]
Hi QuickSilva,

The demo gives you a code. When you register, you enter this code in the field provided, then an unlock code is emailed to you.

When you enter this, the demo becomes the full version.

This registration persists through subsequent updates, and normally there should be no reason to need a replacement code.

If you uninstall Tattoo or reformat your hard drive etc., a new code will need to be generated. If this is the case, simply drop us an email using the link on the website and a replacement will be mailed out to you.

QuickSilva(Posted 2003) [#27]
Thanks Lee :)

Space_guy(Posted 2003) [#28]
Ok! I bought the thing now! Now hurry up with the code pls ;)

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#29]
Did you get it yet? :)

Rob(Posted 2003) [#30]
Hi Lee, have you thought about integrating tattoo with the big packages like max? it's a fairly simple thing to do.

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#31]
How would I got about doing that? Especially since I don't have Max or Maya. If it was possible, I would likely want to integrate it somehow with LightWave/Max and Maya.

Space_guy(Posted 2003) [#32]

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#33]
Version 1.08 of Tattoo is now available. It integrates .obj and .lwo file support so there is no need to convert in advance.

The advantage of these two file formats is that they directly support Quads, so there is no need to triangulate before loading into Tattoo.

Rimmsy(Posted 2003) [#34]
I like it and I want it. Bought.

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#35]
Your code is on the way now. :)

Space_guy(Posted 2003) [#36]
I have some requests :)

for me the whole camera moving control feels inverted. it would very much help me and perhaps others if thre was a button to invert the keyboard moving buttons or perhaps a config file to change which buttons will be used so i could invert it my self.

is there a way to paint with alpha 0 so u can make parts invisible? that would be helpfull for me. but im new to the program and im not 100% sure what everything does yet.

one thing i would love is to be able to set is the start folder when opening files. or atleast that it would remember where u where last time u loaded a model.

and something i miss abit is mouse rotating.

either way its agreat program and its actualy very useble. :)

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#37]

for me the whole camera moving control feels inverted. it would very much help me and perhaps others if thre was a button to invert the keyboard moving buttons or perhaps a config file to change which buttons will be used so i could invert it my self.

Some kind of key definition file is really needed I agree.

is there a way to paint with alpha 0 so u can make parts invisible? that would be helpfull for me. but im new to the program and im not 100% sure what everything does yet.

Not really at the moment. All textures are opaque, the alpha simply blends the brush with the background texture.

one thing i would love is to be able to set is the start folder when opening files. or atleast that it would remember where u where last time u loaded a model.

Agreed.

Mouse rotation is going to make a comeback soon.

either way its agreat program and its actualy very useble.

Glad you like it. It can only get better I suppose. :)

Space_guy(Posted 2003) [#38]
Glad you like it. It can only get better I suppose. :)

hehe just dont go prove your self wrong now :)

Space_guy(Posted 2003) [#39]
seemingly im impatient for news ;) got any?

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#40]
Hi there,

1.1 is available from the Tattoo website

This includes an updated .obj loader, also the option to save screenshots and a new mouse/pen based pan, rotate and zoom option.

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#41]
I've got some news! Nvidia are a bunch of Bozos!

I received an email regarding Tattoo that claimed that the issue was now fixed. (I'll post the email later)

Actually, it appears that it's just as broken as before. Also the Desktop Display Control Panel is screwed up in the latest version detonators. Eeeiiiiiiiaaaa.

I give up.. I absolutely give up... Dets. 44.03 are still the latest WORKING version...

Al Mackey(Posted 2003) [#42]
Lee, I downgraded to that version and Tattoo now works wonderfully now. Nvidia is rapidly convincing me that my next card should be an ATI.

I've discovered a bug in Tattoo.. sometimes drawing over a UV seam will make it draw a line across the texture. There's a model of a jaguar I released in a recent thread (here). If you try drawing across the bottom side of one of the arms in the model included, the pen will streak all the way around the arm. None of the other UV seams have this problem.

Also, could you make an option not to show the "No Texture" warnings? They can be annoying when you're working on a model that has a number of intentionally untextured surfaces.

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#43]

Also, could you make an option not to show the "No Texture" warnings? They can be annoying when you're working on a model that has a number of intentionally untextured surfaces.

Can do!

As for the seams problem it's a hard one to beat. If the two points are less than pixel points apart it thinks you just swished the pen/mouse to that point. Discontinous UVs are a pain what will be handled with Projection Paint.