Textures?

Community Forums/Showcase/Textures?

Matt2222(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hello, i was just wondering if anyone would be interested in creating textures for a game that I am planning to create. I think that the game will end up having sort of a sci-fi theme. Right now, though, I just need textures for some "military" theme. Rusted metal, ect.

Thanks.

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#2]
You might want to supply a bit more information if you want to get good responses. Obvious questions people are going to ask include :

1) What game? You're planning to create it? How do I know won't create a bunch of textures only to find out you get bored? Or get a better offer? What have you already done on this game? Can I see it?

2) Is it a commercial game? Or shareware? Or freeware? Will I get paid for the textures? Will I get a cut of the profits for the textures? Will I just get a free copy of the game for all my hard work?

If you put all this information out there now, it might save you being shot down later. Because I can see it happening.

Matt2222(Posted 2003) [#3]
It will probably end up being commercial.
Here is some screenshots.

Matt2222(Posted 2003) [#4]
And as far as payment goes, if money is made, you will receive a share. I am not some kid who does not know about types and wants to make a GTA3 Killer and offers you a free copy of the game.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#5]
Really? :P Promising Singularity Project. Good luck!

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#6]
I am not some kid who does not know about types and wants to make a GTA3 Killer and offers you a free copy of the game.

LOL, but you just know someone was going to ask ;)

Looks really good, Matt, very moody. I'm sure you'll find someone willing to help with that now you've got some screenshots up. It shows you're serious and capable.

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#7]
Matt, I'd appreciate it if you made it clear where the code came from.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#8]
BTW. Rockstar -what kind of open source is singularity at all? GNU?

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#9]
See off-topic.

Kuron(Posted 2003) [#10]
BTW. Rockstar -what kind of open source is singularity at all? GNU?

License as shipped with Singularity, the NEW one (license)does NOT apply to those who have already downloaded it.

Terms
Use this for whatever you want, including commercial projects. Just don’t say you wrote anything you didn’t. DO NOT EMAIL ME FOR TECHNICAL SUPPORT.

Why?
Why did I release this? Am I quitting?

I suppose I could have made a few bucks by ”licensing” this source, but I didn’t want to for a few reasons. One, it would probably be more of a hassle than it was worth, with tech support, copyright protection, etc., etc., etc. Second, I probably wouldn’t make much money, maybe a few hundred bucks at most. Finally, no single part of this program is all that revolutionary. There are no mind-boggling routines here like lightmapping or constructive solid geometry, so it would be kind of ridiculous to sell a bunch of Blitz commands.

Why not keep it to myself then?

I think Blitz would benefit greatly if the community were able to collaberate on more game-oriented coding instead of only the low-level technical stuff. As our own individual setups get increasingly specialized, it becomes harder and harder to share code. Ultimately, I hope that individuals will contribute new material to this engine in the form of new entities and shaders. The game template is set up so that it is extremely easy to introduce new entity types into the system. Now, you do have to edit a few files to add a new entity, but once it is in, any time you place one of those entities in Cartography Shop, the program will pick it up and make it behave properly. This creates a modular system whereby one programmer can post code for a new entity, and anyone who wants to use it can easily introduce it into their copy of the engine. If an unknown entity exists in the map, it will be skipped by the loading routine.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#11]
Ok, I think I've seen that. Well then - hurry hurry - I wanna see a playable Singularity Release!

maximo(Posted 2003) [#12]
Who is RockStar now? Is it new Romero? Are we all gonna be his bitches ;) wtf?!? Not a new nickname ;)

Jager(Posted 2003) [#13]
yet another DARK FPS shoot-em-up .. yippee, yawn.

You FPS guys seem to spend alot of time creating great looking interior terrains but then destroying them by .. adding some sights ... ug!

How about a Dungeon master type game where one has open hidden doors, beware of trap-doors etc etc etc. Or maybe even a Haunted House game(where creepy music builds the mood and loud scarey sounds, crap the pants). Or maybe a Ninja game (where the mission is to quietly enter the castle, past the guards and kill the Shogun)

If I see another set of gun sights, I'm going to build a strategic wargame :)

maximo(Posted 2003) [#14]
I predict that no kick ass or more then 100 copies selling FPS will ever be produced by Blitz comunity ;) not that the Blitz can't handle it, comunity can't. So if I were you I'd give up all the FPS dreams, it will never happen. I think all you should wake the fck up ;)

Matt2222(Posted 2003) [#15]
It is possible, and if you say that it is not, you'd better get a life right now before a ninja cuts off your stupid head. You are going to be very suprised when we create some mind-blowing game.
(when we do, i will make sure to come back and laugh at you)

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#16]
I like this guy.

CyberHeater(Posted 2003) [#17]
Arts not my strong point. I wouldn't mind trying a hand at some sound effects/background ambience or have you got that area covered.

maximo(Posted 2003) [#18]
Matt2222 it's impossible fool ;) prove me wrong!!! ;)

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#19]
what??, making a fps is easy , look at all the fps mods out There for ut2003, half life etc
making an original fps game that sells well is a different story.
Getting together a team who are each as determined as you and will stick with it is easier said than done.
If you are paying them a salary, then it would be much easier. But if that was the case and you could afford tnat, then you wouldn't be using blitz.
I think its best to aim small. say make a 3 demo levels with a few guns and if it goes well, carry on from there

But What i would really like to see is lots of 3dsmax renders of realistic weapons(not).

maximo(Posted 2003) [#20]
>But What i would really like to see is lots of 3dsmax renders of realistic weapons(not)

Me 2 ;) Well said Ruz ;)

Matt2222(Posted 2003) [#21]
Ruz is cool. He speaks the word of god. I agree with everything that he says. (except for: "QUOTE: then you wouldn't be using blitz. ")
I ask, why not? I have done some very professional looking things in blitz. The screenshots above are some of the screens in my scrapheap. They are not nearly as impressive as what I am creating now.
Blitz, like C and C++ (I do know both C and C++) , is an object oriented language. The deal is, that blitz's object-oriented design is not forced upon the user. THIS MEANS THAT THE USER HAS TO BE SOMEWHAT INTELLIGENT, AND HAS TO BE ABLE TO PLAN OUT A GOOD OBJECT-ORIENTED DESIGN.
If a person says that blitz is not powerfull, then they should work on developing their skills a bit. Take it from someone who knows. I have done directx programming in C++, and I THINK BLITZ IS EQUALLY POWERFUL.
It is possible, and gema will go jump off a building when he finds out that he is stupid. (if he doesn't find out, ninjas will definately take care of the problem.)

maximo(Posted 2003) [#22]
Jump of the edge of the building, plz I am not mister Jones ;) Tell me do you know the riddle of steel? If you know, then I don't have to explain to you why I said it was impossible ;)

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#23]
Apparently, the Riddle of Steel is, "the best rock band in the world, ever" - as well as "a unique Fantasy Roleplaying Game that breaks all the old rules and carries players and Game Masters alike into a new kind of RPG."

furthermore:

It is invincibility—to strike with all and to be struck by none.
It is understanding—to ask questions and to know the answers.
It is peace—to walk without fear, to know that the end is in your own hands.
It is skill—to feel the elegance found in violence, and to know the beauty found in stillness.
It is Spirit—to gaze into the face of your God and to know him before he comes for you…

What is the Riddle of Steel? Where is it found?
That is the question with no answer…

That aside, I'd just like to say that communities don't make games - individuals do. There's no way of knowing what might emerge.

Matt2222(Posted 2003) [#24]
Smart guy.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#25]
Locos - todos locos! :°)

Rob(Posted 2003) [#26]
Hi Matt,

Sorry if you think those answers above are representative of this community, but they are not. Please feel free to ask again for textures and so forth, I'm sure some people will be interested.

@ others: please will you grow up? I refer to: jfk, rockstar, brice(white eagle), jager, gema... you guys are creating a LOT of noise these days. Are you bored?
It is not our place to critictise other people's choice of game. I suggest you back off and let people have some breathing space.

and... Anthony Flack is crom.

maximo(Posted 2003) [#27]
No Rob you are the Crom! And you know the answer to the riddle ;)

Warren(Posted 2003) [#28]
Blitz, like C and C++ (I do know both C and C++) , is an object oriented language. The deal is, that blitz's object-oriented design is not forced upon the user. THIS MEANS THAT THE USER HAS TO BE SOMEWHAT INTELLIGENT, AND HAS TO BE ABLE TO PLAN OUT A GOOD OBJECT-ORIENTED DESIGN.

Blitz is object oriented? Why? Because it has types?

I think you need to read a few books on object orientation if you think this is all it takes.

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#29]
Nice to know I speak the word of god.

BTW I have played a lot of fps games, its just that at the moment i am more into other stuff.
I look forward to seeing something mind blowingly original made with blitz.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#30]
others: please will you grow up? I refer to: jfk, rockstar, brice(white eagle), jager, gema... you guys are creating a LOT of noise these days. Are you bored?

Noise? Rob, I really like you. Is it only me?

Matt2222(Posted 2003) [#31]
Thanks Rob.

Matt2222(Posted 2003) [#32]
To Epic Boy:
I did not want to spent a long time going on into detail about what object-oriented programming requires. I have taken a few college-level classes on the design, and I don't think that you should criticize me before you know what you are talking about. Yes, I have done more than "read a few books" on an object oriented design. Don't criticize if you don't know the FACTS. Now that a whole lot of you have robbed my thread, I think I'll go start a new one. Thanks.
-Matt

Aymes(Posted 2003) [#33]
Hey guys we should be supporting matt here not taking the piss

You dont need that sorta feedback when trying to undertake such a project...

Rimmsy(Posted 2003) [#34]
does anyone have any textures? I wouldn't mind getting me mits of em.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#35]
http://www.3dlinks.com/textures_free.cfm

poopla(Posted 2003) [#36]
Soon as I get my copy of CShop 3, I'm going to be releasing a demo level that will have almost everything HL1 had, plus some other nice stuff. Whoever said making an FPS in blitz, and being successful with it is right in one respect, they will never do it.

[Note to those who this applies too] When I finish my node pathfinding system, do you singularity gents want a copy?

Matt2222(Posted 2003) [#37]
Only them. Check this out.

Wow.

-Matt

Matt2222(Posted 2003) [#38]
This singularity gent wants a copy. Thanks Dev.

-Matt