Zombie Resurrection Project - Full Game Download

Community Forums/Showcase/Zombie Resurrection Project - Full Game Download

Algo(Posted 2003) [#1]
I've just finished converting an old 2D overhead shooter originally made in AmiBlitz, to BlitzPlus.

The plot is fairly simple, man with guns vs zombies, set in an old mansion. It's fairly hard so I'd be surprised if anyone can actually complete it, but if you do there's a little surprise ending!

You can download the full game here: Download - 621kb

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#2]
Good, clean family entertainment! Took a few retries, to find the best way through :)

BTW: I was pushed through a door by a bunch of zombies (on level 3 or so), and couldn't get out again...I had run out of keys...

Algo(Posted 2003) [#3]
Yeah, you have to use your keys sparingly.

There's a cheat mode that gives you access to all the weapons via the keys 'qwert' and levels via keys '0-1'. Just run the program with the parameter "cheese".

RexRhino(Posted 2003) [#4]
Sorry, the download doesn't seem to be working...

Nebula(Posted 2003) [#5]
I like it. I wish you could shoot the doors open though. Do you have any plans on adding more features?

Dock(Posted 2003) [#6]
Wow, this is really cool. I love the kick back the AK gun has on crowds of zombies - it really becomes intense later on. I'm glad you ported this across - it's very well designed and lots of fun. I hope your upcoming 3D stuff is this fun. :)

One thing.. if this is made in Blitz Plus, surely it doesn't need DirectX 7.0 (as stated in the readme.txt).

Algo(Posted 2003) [#7]
Thanks for all the comments.

RexRhino: Are you still having problems?

Nebula: Shooting doors open is a good idea, I'll see what I can do. I wasn't planning on adding more features but if anyone comes up with something good I'll put it.

Dock: Well spotted, that'll teach me to cut and paste. Seriously good work on your website by the way.

Pete Rigz(Posted 2003) [#8]
Really fun game. I'm convinced though that lvl 3 isn't possible, there just isnt enuff keys? I really tried a long time but always ended up with just 2 keys left to get through the 3 doors at the top. Only way i managed it was using an exploit of letting a zombie push you through the door.

And then level 4 was worse. How r u supposed to get passed those trap doors? Seems like the only way through to the stairs unless Im missing something. Even found myself checking for illusion walls lol.

Good stuff tho! The AK is fun :) oo, Another exploit is that u can restart level 1 over and over to get loads of money hehe. Maybe restarting should cost u a life?

Dr Derek Doctors(Posted 2003) [#9]
Spooky, I saw your post on Pixelation about this. Not a bad game at all. :)

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2003) [#10]
Look great!

But I noticed one thing.

When you walk on a lamp, the lamp is under the player!

Algo(Posted 2003) [#11]
New version up, shootable doors now in.

Rigz: You're not trying hard enough :) It's possible to complete level 3 with two keys left over.
I didn't know zombies could push you through doors though, I'll have to sort that out.
To get past trapdoors you have to lure a zombie into them first, and there's no fake walls.
I know about the restart money thing, but I decided to leave it in because it still really involves work, having to collect the cash.

Derek: Yep I get around, just thought I'd see if I could get someone to make better gfx, there's some excellent pixellers on there.

TGD: Yeah I know, it really does need some sort of layer system.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#12]
Looks sweet. Good ol top down.

Pete Rigz(Posted 2003) [#13]
oops, why i said lvl 3 and 4 i dunno, i meant level 6 and 7. I just completed it tho, great twist at the end lol!

I still say tho that lvl 6 is short one key, u need 4 to get through to the exit but i swear theres only 3 lol. Dont suppose it matters now if u added shootable doors, tho tbh i thought it was a fun puzzle elemant. Blasting zombies onto trapdoors was fun too.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#14]
*really* like this game!

Dr Derek Doctors(Posted 2003) [#15]
True enough, there are a few darn good pixellers (myself included, I like to think) but they're all lazy sods to a man (myself included, I like to think) and getting a whole game out of those which are free will be nigh-on impossible.
;)

I reckon you could get a lot of mileage out of just getting a bit more colour into there yourself, perhaps having persistent dead bodies and gore strewn about as you kill the zombies so that by the end of the level the place is caked in foulness.

Algo(Posted 2003) [#16]
Rigz: You right, there was a key missing. Now sorted.

Rob: Glad you like it.

Derek: You know, you're right, I shouldn't be worrying about getting new graphics, I should be adding copious amounts of blood and guts. Gore's my middle name, well surname.

New version up: With extra chunks!

keyboard(Posted 2003) [#17]
very fun ALG

thanks a lot

Ps. maybe a gore free option ?

for those with weak stomachs ;)

Andy(Posted 2003) [#18]
Ive tried the different versions, and I actually like the first one the best... Shooting the doors is just too easy... Now theres no need to think or collect keys, so instead of a puzzle game, you have an overhead shoot'em up.

The blood and gore stuff is really distracting, as I am never sure that I collected all of the items underneath.

My suggestion is that you make gore optional and let people decide if they want to play the puzzle version or the arcade version.

Andy

coffeedotbean(Posted 2003) [#19]
Cool, You can guess by my sig that i like these sorta games.

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2003) [#20]
Very fun, almost finished it.

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#21]
Hey, this is pretty damn cool!

Dr Derek - hey, I used to be a pretty mean pixel artist in my time... but I switched to other methods once the damn pixels got too small! Without wishing to thread hijack, I would just like to say that you all MUST check out the Doctor's pixel art on the excellent Head Over Heels remake at Retrospec. It's absolutely awesome. Best remake ever.

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#22]
Hehe. I like the ending. The question of course is why the zombies attack you and fall in traps?????

Algo(Posted 2003) [#23]
Because they're all high on horse tranquillisers.

bstripp(Posted 2003) [#24]
Got to level 7 on my first go. Loved the game, when everything sped up on level 4 it was quite a shock. Cool stuff!

Dr Derek Doctors(Posted 2003) [#25]
Aw, bless you Anthony! I'm grabbing the new version of the your Zombies now! All the extra grue looks fabulous!

Dr Derek Doctors(Posted 2003) [#26]
Grabbed it and played it and I'm really enjoying it, although a little more variety to the gore and action would be nice. Also I think Blitz is plenty fast enough to deal with leaving the gibs in-situ. You can always check how much frame time is left easily and dispose of old gibs if it's getting a little low (although again I'd flicker them out or perhaps make them burst messily again rather than just disappearing).

It's reminded me to play one of my fave games ever, Blood, again (thanks to VDMsound) and that's just got the best gore effects ever - even in this day and age the quantity and quality can't be beaten.

Are you thinking of putting in more enemy types and a bit more gameplay variety perhaps to deepen the experience? I think you've got the makings of a terrific little game...

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#27]
Heh, I remember playing head-football in that game...

Dr Derek Doctors(Posted 2003) [#28]
Yeah, exactly! It's little touches like that which really make experiences special. Perhaps even having some zombies not die when blown in half but instead pulling themselves along with their arms, or just occasional limbs that twitch for ages but which if you walk over them you squish them into more bloody lumps.

When you have a game about zombies, the sky is really the limit when it comes to grue. :)

Algo(Posted 2003) [#29]
I played the demo of Blood, had a pitchfork as a weapon if I remember. There should be more games with everyday items as weapons I think, like cricket bats or frying pans.

Some good ideas in there Dr Derek, I'm not sure about leaving too much gore lying about though because you'll never find any of the items. I was thinking of leaving bloody foot prints though, so the Zombies could then follow your trail.

I'd like to add a few more enemy types and background variety, but I don't really have the time to do the gfx, I’m pretty slow when it comes to pixeling.

Dr Derek Doctors(Posted 2003) [#30]
I'm sure now that most of the groundwork has been put down that you'll be able to find people to volunteer to do single creatures. If you pop back to pixelation with this new offer I expect you'd get a fair few volunteers. I mean look at how many characters Johan Peitz got for Icy Tower 1.2 from there.

Heck, I'd probably lump in a monster I expect.

As for not finding bonuses, I see your point, my main gripe was really just with the speed at which things got cleared up and the suddeness. That said, you could just draw the bonuses after the gore during rastering and that'd sort the problem.

And yes, household appliances make great weapons in games. My fave in Blood is the use of cans of lighter fuel and improtu flamethrowers and/or grenades.

Zster(Posted 2003) [#31]
Great game. Just a note, if you restart a level your cash collected doesn't go down so you can beef right up at the start by just restarting level 1 again and again.

Cool blasting!
Thanks