Anyone want to join me making a GTA3 similar game (title not desided yet)?

Community Forums/Showcase/Anyone want to join me making a GTA3 similar game (title not desided yet)?

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#1]
Please, anyone wants to join? Here are some information about the project:
This project is going to be a roleplaying action game like GTA3 is. This is a huge project, so anyone wants to join my project, and help me with specific parts? This game, when finished, is going to be sold, and the ones that helps me making it, will get a free copy of it, and beta versions during development. Since I'm the only one that's making it, so far, this will take me forever. This is my current progress:
- Mainmenu scene, and menu imagegraphics finished
- Light nodesystem is finished (the editor, and the game can read the nodes)
- Small part of the city is completed
- Half of one car is designed

So, anyone wanna join? If you just wonder a "bit" if you want to join, or want to know more, please add my MSN address to your messenger. My msn address is thps3cu@.... I am online right now, and can chat :).

JustLuke(Posted 2003) [#2]
Let me get this straight... You will personally keep all of the money that you receive from selling the game, and your fellow team members will get a free copy of the game that they helped you to make?

What a deal!!! ;)

GfK(Posted 2003) [#3]
Certainly what it sounds like if all you get for helping is "a free copy of the game", which, lets face it, at the end of any development cycle you're so sick to the back bloody teeth of the game, that a copy of it is the last thing you would EVER want.

And this from the same person who doesn't even understand types yet.

Some friendly advice - start small. Make Pong or something first. Excuse me being so cynical but month after month we get people saying "I'm going to make a GTA3-beater, oh and by the way, what's a Type?".

Textbook.

Koriolis(Posted 2003) [#4]
Agreed. I won't say more cause I don't wanna be rude...

darklordz(Posted 2003) [#5]
Hahahahahaha.....to funny.....can't...ouch stomach is killing me....hahahhahaha

Ok im fine now....

GFK is right...start small.....learn te lingo first....

Tranz(Posted 2003) [#6]
Let's see some pics of what you have so far.

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#7]
Dissed!
I don't even use types, but arrays which can do EXACTLY the same as types. Suppose I have to do the developing alone then...

Just to inform:
I know 5 programming languages (Pascal (very good), Brain (very good), Basic (good), BlitzBasic (just started, but knows MOST of it), PHP (half)), and I haven't done so much work in Blitz3D yet, and my earlier languages doesn't have stuff similar to types, so that's why I asked. I have also been into modelling, and can model almost any playing character only I have a reference pic, so DON'T COME HERE AND CALL ME A N00B!!!

Btw, if we were supposed to share the money, then how would be send the money halfway around the world? And how could we ever trust eachother that much that we would give the bankaccount number?!! Beat that!!

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2003) [#8]
Ooops

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2003) [#9]
Oooops again..

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2003) [#10]
My mum always said if you dont have anything to say .. dont say it.

Guess im third time lucky then huh.

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#11]
Don't you think I saw what you originally wrote???!!!

Dustin(Posted 2003) [#12]
"if we were supposed to share the money, then how would be send the money halfway around the world? And how could we ever trust eachother that much that we would give the bankaccount number?!! Beat that!!"

They're called certified checks, available from any nearby bank or convenience store. Consider yourself beaten.

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2003) [#13]
Give it a rest!!

GfK(Posted 2003) [#14]
I wonder if perhaps you might consider controlling your gutter-language a little?

I've given you two pieces of good advice:

1. People won't help you make a game if you're going to sell it and not pay them. After all, that *is* what you said you were going to do, and I quote; "This game, when finished, is going to be sold, and the ones that helps me making it, will get a free copy of it, and beta versions during development."

2. You aren't going to make Grand Theft Auto 3 in Blitz as a first project, regardless of how many other 'lesser' languages you've used. (I don't consider any language that doesn't use custom datatypes worthy of further investigation).

I don't mean to be disrespectful, as you put it, but, you said that you can't see a use for types. That short-sightedness in my personal opinion, is due to the fact that you do not know *how* to use them, harking back to point 2 - lack of Blitz experience.

Btw, if we were supposed to share the money, then how would be send the money halfway around the world?
Well, let's see. Cheque? Wire transfer/Western Union? Paypal?

Tracer(Posted 2003) [#15]

I don't even use types, but arrays which can do EXACTLY the same as types.

Which shows real quick how uninformed and unexperienced you are with Blitz :)

Types allow for MUCH more flexibility, don't need resizing, you can add arrays to types, you can return and process type entries in all kinds of nice ways, etc..

Types are much like structures (which, you should have experience with, considering your list of used languages), arrays, as you should also know, are not.

Tracer

mearrin69(Posted 2003) [#16]
Wow. Are you currently under the care of a physician? Gonna give yourself a heart attack with blood pressure like that.
M

robleong(Posted 2003) [#17]
I'm a physician so I might be able to help! But seriously, hyperblitzer, there is some good advice given here. Despite the allure of Blitz, don't start off being too ambitious as even good programmers find it difficult to complete a moderately simple game, let alone a major one that you are planning.

RexRhino(Posted 2003) [#18]
Hyperblitzer is probably young and doesn't know any better...

Look, Hyperblitzer, if you want to create the next GTA, that is fine. But remember, GTA had hundreds of people working on it, and took several years to make. The development cost millions of dollars. Making a project like that is no small feat. No-one, so far, has made a comparible game in blitz.

And you are not going to attract collaboration when you havent released any software to show us what you can do, when you are unable to use basic features of the language, and when you aren't will to pay people (or even give them a share of the profits when you are done).

I would suggest you are much better off working on a small project, maybe a puzzle game or shooter or something, to gain skill with the language and show others what you can do, and then move on to big projects.

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#19]
I should conclude somthing here. I take back the title "Anyone wanna join...". I realized that no-one would join project that will be selled. I agree that also experienced programmers can have problems with scripting. It's kinda like any other thing. You can learn what you need to figure it out, but it is always something new to solve. Like when I created my TH3 script compiler, I met lots of problems, even when I know most Pascal, but I finally got them solved, and got the compiler released.

Robleong, cool, you know stuff about car physics? I'm working on the Air Resistance part now. My (well, not mine) formula is:

AirResistance=(1/2)(AirDensity)(Velocity)^2(FrontalArea)(VehicleAirDrag)

Kinda not sure, but with it, and the formula for recalculating it to horsepowers, I got it saying: You need 58 hp to overcome the air resistance when driving in 100 km/h, which is 27.7778 m/s. Sounds familiar?

skn3(Posted 2003) [#20]

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#21]
I think most important is: you should not react so violently. It is true, GTA3 isn't realistic. It's just a huge game. Then again GFK wasn't fair when he linked to an other post to demonstrate your weakness. A lot of people were unfair here.

BTW. I didn't use a single Type in my Game Engine - and it's still one of the most complete FPS Game Engines done in Blitz. There have been many discussions about Types, and most Coders use them, some pray to them and a few ppl like me hate them. Who cares?

If you didn't find Artist to join your Team yet, so be patient. Needless to say that it isn't realistic if you think you'll find some People who will deliver Work that is worth dozens of thousands of $ for a copy of a game...Offer more. Participation. Show us some Screenshots and you'll find Partners one by one. But don't think the whole community is against you only because some people are making silly Jokes here. You should learn to ignore it.

Oh yeah - and forget the GTA3 Clone.

robleong(Posted 2003) [#22]
Ha! Hyperblitzer, I said I am a physician, not a physicist! Anyway, write a simpler game and then prove the guys here wrong about your programming skills! By the way, you might like to consider posting in BlitzCoder instead of here if you find that people here are a bit too direct... ;)

Al Mackey(Posted 2003) [#23]
Also, calm down! No one will want to work with you if they see you yelling and cursing at the slightest criticism.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#24]
Can I just add that swearing is usually not allowed on these forums. People have had their accounts suspended before for various things so I wouldn't anger the powers that be.

On a side note, why not make a small demo where you can drive around? once thats done, you have at least part of the game done.

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#25]
The problem with posting for help with such a project, is that it is likely to take about 10 years to complete. And alot of ppl here are hobbist programmers, and won't have the required time to complete the project.

I felt that starting on something like pong and tetris was a complete waste of time, but i learned a huge amount.

My and this other guy are working on a project. Didn't seem to much to start off with, and i said to myself, This will only take about 2 - 3 months. That was 5 month ago, and i estimate we've only got about 20 odd % done. Particle systems, AI, physics systems, etc all have to be coded and lots of models need to be created, no small task.

Seroiusly, i would help out, but the sheer scale of your project is daunting, and the fact that i'm involved with another project. So sorry ^_^

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#26]
and i estimate we've only got about 20 odd % done

Current Project: 18%

Time to update the sig? ;)

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2003) [#27]
M8 im all for people new to games development who come in and ask, can I do this or how would I do that.. blah blah blah, and im sure you would get millions of help.

The problem is that you have Zero Experience. You have as far as I'm aware not ever completed a games project, be it space invaders or pacman let alone something like, GTA3.

This means you will be spending more time just getting used to the syntax the code the way of setting up a game dev structure and all of the other little things that make it possible to actually complete a game.

These are things you can either be shown, or things you must learn on your own.

Im not one to put others down no matter what they say, like I said I was having a bad day, I have in fact posted at length about the negative style of comments above, and this is why I removed mine, I wasent happy I made it.

So, if I can now give you some better advice.

1. Try and make a game, like PacMan, make it 2D and just go from the creation of the first level right through to the end game credits.

This one small act will show the community that you can manage your time and take a project from start to finish.

2. Dont Diss anyone whos trying to help, its just not a good idea.

3. Dont post on the forums asking for help unless you have actually made a good start on your project, If you havent done that already then your not really asking for help , your asking for some one to come show you or do it for you.

4. You must realise one small but important fact. 90% or a large amount of this community have either.
:: Completed a game fully ::
:: Got a Game published (and selling) ::
:: Started their own Mirco Dev Teams ::
:: Had a game in a respected MAG or paper ::

I think what im trying to tell you is that most of the people you will talk to have been doing this for a while and have actually got their foot in the door of the Games Market.

Even for those that havent they still have a vast amount of skill and information, so please treat us with some respect.

Like I should have done with you in the first place, so like Iv already said. Sory. and good luck, I also hope this time you take on board what I have said. and dont take it the wrong way.

Akat(Posted 2003) [#28]
i think the 'wrong' came when u said about wanna 'sell' it... anybody consider to join u if u just say something like... "i wanna make GTA-type of game just for fun, anybody interested in contribution?" - coz u know that 'developing' its not the problem at all (if u know well how to make it), but 'distributing' a game nearly impossible...

BlitzSupport(Posted 2003) [#29]
I think this could have been handled better.