New Model Screenies - W.I.P.

Community Forums/Showcase/New Model Screenies - W.I.P.

NTense(Posted 2003) [#1]
Just thought I'd slap a few screenies of my new model up. I wanted to try to put a higher quality model together and tie it into some tech demos &/or games (maybe cloth and ragdoll demos). Specifically I was thinking a gladiator type scenario where he basicly has a loin-cloth and a weapon. I also wanted to work with the new bumpmap features in Blitz with this, but I think I'll have to wait until that's refined a bit. Another thought was boning the face, and experimenting with expression overrides (and maybe releasing a library for that). Anyway, at a little over 3,000 polygons, here's the work so far. (the first to shots are old shots, and the artifact in the neck has been removed/smoothed out).

<EDIT> Just finished the arm/hand/and eye textures:

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#2]
The individual parts themselves are pretty good, but the proportions are badly skewed.

NTense(Posted 2003) [#3]
I was going for SuperHero'esc proportions. They measure out good on my software (according to my grid, based on head height/width). Maybe it's the perspective shots. :\

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#4]
It may indeed just be the perspective shots. I think the proportions look way off too, but the nature of the errors makes me think it is just perspective distortion. Specifically, the extremeties (arms and legs) are too small relative to the torso.

Bouncer(Posted 2003) [#5]
If you want superhero look... make him more muscular... that's some thin guy.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2003) [#6]
The top looks pretty well proportioned... but the bottom half is way too small...

... and yeah, add some steroids to those biceps and pecs, sorta like the guy in Bouncer's sig, if you want a superhero type physique.

Otherwise, it's a good looking humanoid figure.

--Mike

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#7]
It's a FOV and Camera Zoom Problem. Then again we know the Slim-Shadyism of NTenses anatomic Designs. Usually I say Anabolica and Stereoids are BS. Usually. No offence tho. Very good Texturing.

NTense(Posted 2003) [#8]

Then again we know the Slim-Shadyism of NTenses anatomic Designs

<< grin >>

Rob(Posted 2003) [#9]
Most game models you see in games are not in proportion. You'll find that the legs and feet are pretty chunky. This was first done in Quake2 if I remember correctly the artist said they did this to compensate for fov.

Since when you run it in blitz you'll encounter this problem anyway, so it makes sense for you to modify the model for the game. Trial and error will be worth it.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2003) [#10]
yup... true.. true... (Rob)

hey, here's my pathetic first attempt at a humanoid figure...

... based on a figure i've been using for almost everything 'till now. i'm trying to make it as low poly as possible... still got a ways to go...

so, after looking at my attempts, NTense's humanoid is lookin' a lot better, isn't it :)

hey, people are hard to do... especially in the virtual sense... your human is coming along very nicely N...

--Mike

NTense(Posted 2003) [#11]

This was first done in Quake2 if I remember correctly the artist said they did this to compensate for fov

This makes me wonder if playing around with the FOV may be beneficial... Never really done anything with it (though the screenshot above is in MS, and I don't know if I can alter the FOV there).

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#12]
"low poly as possible"

Obviously that isn't literally true. If it were you would be representing the person's head using a box. What polygon count are you shooting for?

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#13]
the proportions are a bit off. he seems to have no hips to speak of.
but generally its looking good. thumb looks a little
strange too