Very short game video:

Community Forums/Showcase/Very short game video:

IPete2(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hey team:

Just amazed at MPEG 4 quality and file size. Have a quick look at a demo I'm doing:

http://www.smartscreenuk.com/PP_Standby001.AVI

Just finishing it hold on a moment...

IPete2.

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#2]
looks nice :)

Dave(Posted 2003) [#3]
hold on a second here IPete, first off is this Blitz? It looks like a singularity engine demo or something :-) it does look REALLY good though.

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2003) [#4]
Looks like a prerendered animation. Rare to see self shadows on a real time object.

IPete2(Posted 2003) [#5]
It is an MPEG 4 video file.

The background is a quick CShop level (with some of my prefabs), playing in through Singularity and then screen grabbed.

This is then used as a background in Poser 5 to render the animation, made using Mimic.

But it plays full screen in Blitz 3d to open the demo. :)

Great for only 117k!

Ipete2.

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2003) [#6]
OK, that is impressive. I think people just wanted the clearification that the charactor was not renderd in Blitz.

Dave(Posted 2003) [#7]
would be intresting to see how that character played back in blitz though :-) realistically the detail level of the character is a bit like hl2...then again they have shaders...

IPete2(Posted 2003) [#8]
Er, maybe I should try to move it into Blitz for a laugh...

IPete2.

Zmatrix(Posted 2003) [#9]
HL2's characters poly count is an average of about 5000.
according to the faq (3000-7500)
If thats a poser model...then your looking at about 16,000 to 24,000 polys.

Still that looks pretty good even if it is just a Intro vid :)

Zmatrix

IPete2(Posted 2003) [#10]
Zmatrix,

I wasn't really bothered about the polycount, as it is only ever intended to be in a video, however, I was shocked to see the polycount when I exported the Poser model to .3ds format...

44,000 polys! What!?!?!? Glad it's a video!

I was actually making a statement about how good MPEG 4 is as a codec, 117k for a short 640,480 clip!

It overlays really nicely in B3d too, I have had it running full screen and in the top left as a video insert, I think I prefer the full screen version at the moment, seems more impressive.

IPete2.

Sledge(Posted 2003) [#11]

I was actually making a statement about how good MPEG 4 is as a codec, 117k for a short 640,480 clip!

Yeah, in which only about 1/8 of the screen, if that, is actually animated (so it's more like 117k for a 240x280 clip, roughly cropping the head out)! Nice work though :)

Zmatrix(Posted 2003) [#12]
"240x280"

Yeah but still 117k is very good...a 256x256 8bit .bmp is 192k
and the quality is very good.

IPete2.
Have you tried the compressor with High motion Video...does still look clean?

Zmatrix

IPete2(Posted 2003) [#13]
Zmatrix,

No I haven't - I'll have a look at the setings.

I see what you mean about only the middle bit animating, the rest is basically a still picture I guess.

IPete2.

Dave(Posted 2003) [#14]
just been thinking, poser might be a good way to get ourself's some animated models if we squash the poly's down.

morduun(Posted 2003) [#15]
Read your terms of use that come with Poser. Depending on the version you have, you can't use Poser's 3D assets legally outside of the Poser application.