3DInvaders Beta Released

Community Forums/Showcase/3DInvaders Beta Released

rhuk(Posted 2003) [#1]
My first attempt with Blitz3d. Infact this is my first ever game. Yes, I know, another space invaders clone, but I had to learn somehow, and I wanted to keep my first game pretty simple. Some features of note:

* All 3D (lame models by me)
* Movable camera to make your life harder
* Full entity particle effects (not sprites)
* Custom online Highscore system (with proxy support if needed)
* Bonus power-ups (double fire, shield rebuild, extra lives)
* Unlmited levels (just try getting past 7!)
* Joystick support

The keys are basically arrow, plus SPACE for fire. UP/DOWN moves the camera up and down

More details: http://www.blitzcoder.com/cgi-bin/showcase/showcase_showentry.pl?id=rhuk09292003201056&comments=no

Shambler(Posted 2003) [#2]
I like the graphics, gameplay is responsive and it was enjoyable to play.

One problem I came across on lv1 though, was at one stage the invaders would no longer come down the screen, and my laser fire couldn't reach them.

A screenie to show what I saw..

Having played it again I think the indavers are getting further away rather than closer...after a while their bombs don't reach the bottom of the screen.

rhuk(Posted 2003) [#3]
That's truely odd. I've never had that happen in all my hours of debugging this.

Question: Did this happen after you had played once, then gone back to the menu, and played again? I might not have reset something on the restart.

Cheers.

Shambler(Posted 2003) [#4]
Its happened both times and I've only played it immediately from the menu once each time...I'll just try going back to the menu.

Ok, it happens all the time, first game and every game afterwards..are the invaders meant to be coming down the screen ala the original type of invaders game?

If this is so then that's where the problem is, they don't come down the screen.

I've just noticed they only move down when you shoot them...is this intentional?

rhuk(Posted 2003) [#5]
They move across 3 times, then drop down, them move across 3 times, then drop down, etc. I've had quite a few people play this successfully. Could you try downloading it again? I've fixed a couple of other bugs, perhaps one of these fixed this issue your having. Surely it can't be an Athlon only issue (only test on intel AFAIK).

Cheers.

Shambler(Posted 2003) [#6]
I've downloaded it again, 2.51MB this time instead of 2.58 so it's a new version, still has the same problem though.

Very strange if its worked on other PC's and not mine.

After a while the invaders no longer come down the screen.

And it seems the more i shoot, the less distance my bullets travel.

No idea what this could be =/

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#7]
Maybe it's the timers you are using. Because some machines take longer to render, the timers still go a the same pace on EVER machine. So if the renders take longer, then you could have a wee problem. Happened to me once.

rhuk(Posted 2003) [#8]
You know what you might be on the right track. Shamblar does have a pretty fast machine. The machines of run this on are P4 2.4ghz with Qruadro4 200NVS, and a 850mhz P3 with Geforce2.

The code i'm using for frame limiting is:

; TYPE FOR FRAME LIMITING
; ------------------------
Type Frame_Rate
	Field TargetFPS#
	Field FPS#
	Field TicksPerSecond
	Field CurrentTicks
	Field FrameDelay
	Field SpeedFactor#
	Field AccumTicks
End Type

; FRAME LIMITING STUFF
; ---------------------
Global FLMode = True
Global Target_FPS# = 30.0
Global FL.Frame_Rate = New Frame_rate
Frame_Limit_Init(Target_FPS#)

While True
	Goto Set_Speed_Factor
.Set_Speed_Return

ThisFrameTime	= FL\CurrentTicks
	Delta_Time 		= ThisFrameTime-LastFrameTime
	LastFrameTime	= ThisFrameTime
Wend

; LABEL & CODE ADDED FOR FRAME LIMITING
; --------------------------------------------------------------
.Set_Speed_Factor
	If FLMode = False Then Goto Set_Speed_Return
	FL\CurrentTicks = MilliSecs()
	FL\SpeedFactor = (FL\CurrentTicks - FL\FrameDelay) / (FL\TicksPerSecond / FL\TargetFPS)
	If FL\SpeedFactor <= 0 Then FL\SpeedFactor = 1
	FL\FPS = FL\TargetFPS / FL\SpeedFactor
	FL\FrameDelay = FL\CurrentTicks
	Goto Set_Speed_Return

; FUNCTION ADDED TO INITIALIZE THE FRAMERATE DEVICE
; --------------------------------------------------------------
Function Frame_Limit_Init(target_FPS#)
	FL\TargetFPS# = target_FPS#
	FL\TicksPerSecond = 1000 
	FL\FrameDelay = MilliSecs()
End Function

Aliens are moved with this code:

TranslateEntity(a\entity, xDelta * alienSpeed * FL\SpeedFactor, yDelta * FL\SpeedFactor, 0)

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#9]
nice game, enjoyed it.I got a crap score though.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2003) [#10]
Damn, I downloaded this yesterday and forgot to try it! Looks cool.

keyboard(Posted 2003) [#11]
played fine for me no problems

I was suspicious of another 3D clone but this was nice.

rhuk(Posted 2003) [#12]
I have a nagging feeling it might be something to do with Athlong processors? How could this be? Two people have now told me that the aliens don't move down the screen for them, both had Athlons.. one was a 1.7ghz, the other a 2.7ghz, both had Radeon 9700s I believe. Anyone with a similar configuration has similar issues?

Cheers,

rhuk

Tex(Posted 2003) [#13]
Played really well here. Really well :-)

Athlon xp1700 - geforce gts 2

_PJ_(Posted 2003) [#14]
I was very impressed!
Beautifully presented, great tune too!

For a first game, I think it well deserves a good 9/10

I didn't see any powerups though.

-----------------

Oh and regarding the high score-thing I get an error message saying 'Failed to connect'

rhuk(Posted 2003) [#15]
You get powerups when you destroy the mothership. Well, it's somewhat random, you have a 3 in 4 chance of getting a powerup, and the type of powerup is probability based also. Your more likely to get a rapid fire than a shield regen, and least likely of all is a new life.

Sorry to hear abou the "failed to connect". Are you behind a proxy server? If so you need to add your http proxy name and port in the config.ini file.

_PJ_(Posted 2003) [#16]
Ah that'd be it!

BlitzSupport(Posted 2003) [#17]
I rate it 8/10. It would be 9, but I'm dinging you a point for false humility -- this is just so polished and professional looking!

rhuk(Posted 2003) [#18]
lok, your killing me james!

rhuk(Posted 2003) [#19]
Network issues have been resolved!!! Highscore system should work now. If it fails, it fails a bit more gracefully, ie doesn't kick you out of the game. Now if only I could work out why some people are finding the aliens stop moving down the screen....

Techlord(Posted 2003) [#20]
Amazing remake, played for hours. Great 3D models that serve the purpose well. I love the high score system, have you considered Tournament Gaming? If not, check out Tournament Blitz Demo.

Once again amazing remake.