Tattoo 0.9 Demo Release

Community Forums/Showcase/Tattoo 0.9 Demo Release

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi all,

Tattoo is up to Version 0.9

Lots of new stuff in there, but the best way to find it is to try it!

Download 1.1 meg

Be sure to read the readme.htm!

Let me know how you get on!

Steve Fash(Posted 2003) [#2]
Lee-I love the way his is progressing !
Keep up the great work !

:D

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#3]
Looking good :)

I've found a small bug...

If you rapidly change draw colour by right clicking between two different coloured sections on the model, the colour shown behind the colour circle and that shown on the value slider can become out of sync.

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#4]
Thanks, I'll look into it.

Ian Thompson(Posted 2003) [#5]
Ag! I am no longer in the credits! ;0P

Seriously tho Lee, its looking better with each version.

A line tool would be a nice addition.

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#6]
Not that it much use for anything but vertical or horizontal lines, but if you rotate whilst holding the mouse button down, you can draw a straight line.

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#7]
@ Ian - Ahem... I appear to have lost the bottom three lines of my web page! Duh.

You're back in for the next verson :)

A line drawing tool will be possible in projection mode (coming in version 9.5), but it's not really possible in the default UV Paint mode we are using at the moment, since a line may pass though many other areas of your UV mapping on it's way to the destination.

Ian Thompson(Posted 2003) [#8]
Thanks Lee! :D

Projection mode?

P.S. If you need any other dialogs or WINAPI calls just drop me a line.

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#9]
Will do!

Projection mode differs from the UV paint in that an image is 'Projected' onto the mesh in much the same way as a cinema projects an image onto a screen.

This means that jumps in your UV mapping are pretty much ignored, and that your brush will not distort according to the contours of the mesh you are painting.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#10]
Just like deep paint with texture weapons! except we no longer need thousands...

sigi(Posted 2003) [#11]
Hi, some wishes:

1. How do i say it ? (my english is not so good)
Something like Mirror Painting. If i paint Hairs to
the Head-Example from one Side it should paint on the
other Side in the same Time. I hope you understand me.

2. Any Possibilty to Save in this Demo-Version ?
Maybe an own format from you. I think you make this
Programm Commercial, but if i try it i should have a
Possibility to save and work on the next Day.

3. What will Tatto cost in the final Version and can i
buy it via ShareIt ?

Thank You, Great Work!

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#12]
Hi Sigi,

1) Mirror paint mode is on the list of features to implement for the full release version.

2) Save is disabled in the demo version. Also I am currently working on being able to save to several image formats, but it's not done yet.

3) I haven't given much thought to Pricing yet (still trying to get it up to scratch), but I do intend to make it available via ShareIt when it's ready.

sigi(Posted 2003) [#13]
Cool,
Thank You.

Synchronist(Posted 2003) [#14]
Very cool! Gads, what a tool! This will definately be on my "got to buy" list. I hate texture mapping the "old way" and I couldn't afford Deep Paint. Thanks Lee!

I have one wish: A "blending" tool to fuzz colors a bit.

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#15]
A blur brush is on the cards soon too.

A demo of 0.91 should be available soon.

RepeatUntil(Posted 2003) [#16]
Aargh! After a long download, it was impossible to run your program!! Something like "Impossible to create the 3D scene" error.
Ok, I have an old computer with an old graphics card, but anyway, I would like to test your program as well!!!
Maybe you can put a text file with the graphics resolution in it, so that the user can change it...

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#17]
The problem is 99% certain to be the inability to do DirectX 3D in a desktop window.

Tattoo is really designed to be run in windowed mode, and it would not work effectively in full screen mode for a number of reasons.

Out of interest, what graphics card do you have?

RepeatUntil(Posted 2003) [#18]
It's not really a *real* video card: it's an intel i810 graphics card, bought with my computer in 1999!! Yes, very very old...
I run a lot of B3D program in windowed mode, and had never problems. Maybe it's due to the depth (if you put 32, then it won't work on my computer) or the resolution??
??

SSS(Posted 2003) [#19]
first this looks awsome, second is there any possibilty that we will be seeing the ability to paint normal maps... with the new version and all, that would be sooo cool

thanks again

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#20]
Ah yes, Intel i810. I had one of those in a Compaq Deskpro as work. Runs fine in Full Screen 16 bit, but windowed of 32 Bit and phut!

Tattoo is very texture memory intesive. You really need a separate card with DDR memory to get it flying. Even if I did a fullscreen version, you'd find the results.. Frustrating.

@SSS

I'm not sure about Normal Maps (if you mean the Doom3 Type thing), as far as I know, they need to be generated by high poly geometry.

DOT3 Bump maps should be straight forward enough though in time.

RepeatUntil(Posted 2003) [#21]
OK, I discover why it didn't work on my graphics card! In fact, some times ago I decided to put a depth of 24 on my windows desktop (in "display properties"). And since then, it was indeed impossible to have 3D in windowed mode!!
I put the depth of windows back to 16, and now your program is working fine!!
And it looks very good, even if I didn't understand all the options (texture guide, clone brushes, ...)