Rapid Fire screenshots - Rob's prettiest project yet?

Community Forums/Showcase/Rapid Fire screenshots - Rob's prettiest project yet?

Rottbott(Posted 2003) [#1]
Click here:
http://www.marksweb.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/rapidfire/

One of my current 3 projects, Rapid Fire, just got to a stage where I can release a demo, so I've made some screenshots and a little web page to look at them.

I think it looks quite cool, much better than most of my projects anyway! The screenshots don't really do it justice, you can't see the stars twinkling etc.

The downloads don't work yet but will do once I've done some testing of it and checked a little something with Surreal, and will include full source code.

P.S. That's Rob as in me, not Rob as in Rob.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#2]
Nice work tho ;)

Rottbott(Posted 2003) [#3]
Both compiled and source downloads are now working but haven't been as thoroughly tested as I'd like due to lack of people to play the game with. So it might well crash, do funny things, or anything. A single player game should work okay, but all you can do in that is fly round shooting down asteroids..

Sooo... if any brave soul wants to download it (the source version is only about 350k), and play an internet game for a bit to help me iron out the bugs which I'm sure are present... that'd be nice :-)

googlemesilly(Posted 2003) [#4]
Reminds me of the old arcade classics like Galaxian ! :)
Addictive gameplay ? Downloading now ...

sswift(Posted 2003) [#5]
I know that's supposed to say OIDS, but it looks like it says AIDS. Ya might want to fix that. :-)

Rottbott(Posted 2003) [#6]
Hah! It should really say Asteroids but it's too long and clutters it..
I'll do something :-)
What do you think of the graphics in general SSwift, since you seem to know stuff about such things. Anything really needs changing?

Sunshine Dreamer, not sure about the gameplay yet! It's really only a multiplayer game so I haven't had much chance to actually play the thing, but it should be pretty fun with enough players. It'll be more fun when there's powerups and stuff. If you're downloading it, and want to play an internet game... do you have any Instant Messaging programs? You'll have to start a game and send me your IP so I can join.

Rottbott(Posted 2003) [#7]
Both source code and compiled versions are now uploaded. However they are still not properly tested so play at your peril! There's no bugs I know about but there could be some lurking.

Source code is free to do with as you wish, except the BlitzPlay Lite source (BPliteV1.13.bb) 'cos that belongs to Surreal.

sswift(Posted 2003) [#8]
"Anything really needs changing?"

Well, you could fix the explosion sprites so that they get dark enough at the edges so you don't see a hard edge in the game. The colorsful explosion, and the ship's thrust both display this issue.

The health window doesn't have a black background like I think you meant it to, it's dark gray.

And you might consider adding a subtle parralax layer above the stars of some blue and red space dust, closer to the camera so it moves by more slowly than the stars and thus appears to be closer.

Rottbott(Posted 2003) [#9]
Well, you could fix the explosion sprites so that they get dark enough at the edges so you don't see a hard edge in the game. The colorsful explosion, and the ship's thrust both display this issue.
Not sure what you mean by this. The colourful sprites do look square in that shot but you can't really see it when they're moving because they go quite fast. Not sure what you mean about the thrust at all really.

The health window doesn't have a black background like I think you meant it to, it's dark gray.
I noticed that. I took the screenshots on my PC which has a rather poor monitor, it looked black on there. But when I transferred them to the other PC I noticed it had a grey box. I'll try and fix it.

And you might consider adding a subtle parralax layer above the stars of some blue and red space dust, closer to the camera so it moves by more slowly than the stars and thus appears to be closer.
Hmm, good idea. I'll see what I can come up with :-)

Anyway thanks for that :-)

GitTech(Posted 2003) [#10]
Rottbott, do you happen to be a Iron Maiden fan? It's the same font Iron Maiden uses for their logo :)

Rottbott(Posted 2003) [#11]
I wondered if anyone would spot that!

Can't remember who made the font but it's called "Metal Lord" and is indeed based on the old Iron Maiden logo.