CSP Engine Release

Community Forums/Showcase/CSP Engine Release

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#1]

I just uploaded a playable Version 2.0 Demo. The new Features are especially outsourced Parameters, so the Engine is much more flexible and Script-driven. I also added some other things: elevators, a hierarchy system for animated Meshes (Machines aso.) and a lot of little details.

Unfortunately I will not be able to work intensively on it in the next months, so I decided to release it as it is. This means there are a couple of "unpolished" things and some Meshes are real Placeholders.

I hope the new Functions of the Engine will be seen nevertheless. Just click my .sig and follow the links.

Have fun.

Dave(Posted 2003) [#2]
this thing SERIOUSLY rocks. I was always impressed by the first stuff you release jfk, but this new stuff is really good. I do have a few things that could be changed, first off this runs a little bad on my system which is a 2.4ghz, GF3, 512DDR system...i'll tweak the settings a bit...

Also its REALLY Hard, not just a little hard, but really hard for my liking. Its addictive though :-) so far so good if only i would stop getting shoot right at the entrance of the big house...

If their is one thing i would like to the source code behind its this game...

Dave(Posted 2003) [#3]
actually are their any cheats? :) like god mode?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#4]
Thanks. Yes there are some cheats - but I cannot tell them yet, this would be silly. But the Colt is right there at the tree chunk on the right side from the start position.It is possible, I tried it several times. Just frag them one by one.

How do you mean "it runs a little bad" on your machine? Slow? Well, it's true, it is slow because it doesn't use any VIS Occlusion. But I think you should get 60 Hz with an average Card, no? However, when it loads the first time the camera might jump a bit in the first seconds because DirectX has to dynamicly move some stuff (I guess).

Dave(Posted 2003) [#5]
jfk, is it possible to purchase the full source code to this game (including engine + editor) source code? i really like alot of the things i'm seeing here, and its giving me ideas for an FPS...

The slowdown is most likely caused by a few factors, first off my system needs formatted (badly) and their's alot of background stuff running which is taking up alot of mem, secondly the game could be alow smoother with occlusion, but i guess thats coming in a future release?

If you dont want to disclose publically the price, please email me (check profile for email).

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#6]
Well, thanks a lot, that sounds like music in my ears :)
Have a look at the Readme.txt for some thoughts about the philosophy.

Yes, Occlusion is a Future Option. And a sly Level Geometry would also alow to reduce the CameraRange and this would speed it up dramaticly as well.

Dave(Posted 2003) [#7]
I dont fully understand what you mean about the contract stuff. I will explain all i want todo jfk. I do not wish to make a highely commercial fps game or anything i mainly just want to test out a variety of AI routines i've been researching in a realistic fps enviroment.

I would probably make a small and completely free FPS game in which if i were to use your engine i would fully credit you for. I can also be trusted not to disclose (and will sign an NDA if required) any of the source materials.

I am really impressed with this engine, for some reason it reminds me of GTA3 (model and texture wise) and that can only be a good thing! The game also had me playing for a good while their, its got my attention for sure.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#8]
I need to clean up the source and tools a bit so the release of those Parts will take some time. However if you don't make a lot of money you will not have to pay me money. But the License Contract must be signed. I will write it in Detail and let in translate by somebody who's familar with that kind of stuff. In general it's about the same as a quake License, only cheaper :)

Dave(Posted 2003) [#9]
thats good news jfk! I will sign the agreement without hesitation.

Tell me when the source is ready for release and we can take steps from their.

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2003) [#10]
Cool, I like it.

Dave, I finished the demo in under 20 seconds :)

Caff(Posted 2003) [#11]
This engine is looking great. The best thing, though, is you can fly! Press 'return' repeatedly and weee you can flllllyyyy likeeee a biiirrrdddd flap flap flap flap...... (sorry)

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#12]
It's cool, but where are the guns?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#13]
You can find the guns one by one. The first one is on the ground at the chunk of the tree at the right side seen from the start position. Then there is a Ingram Mac between the pillars near the entrance. The other Guns can not be missed.

Caff - yes, true, I got to fix this fly-bug the sooner or the later.

Vorderman(Posted 2003) [#14]
Nice, once you'd told me where to find the first gun.

Please can you make the weapons easier to see. Maybe some form of glow or something.

Also - much more ammo is needed - it's more fun to blast away with no regard for the ammo used. I currently can't get further than the front door before running out.

The baddies should drop some ammo or their weapons when shot.

All in all though, superb. Best to fx the jump bug I think. But...maybe if I started on the roof and worked down...

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#15]
If it's really too hard then you might edit the enemy viewrange in "enemyviewrange.txt".

Tom(Posted 2003) [#16]
Good fun! My kid says "whoa!, what's that game dad?" :)

My niggle: No inverted mouse option!!! AAAAAAAHHHHHH

Yup, I'm an inverted Y freak :|

Cya!
Tom

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#17]
Thanks. You can invert Mousey in the "cha_pre.cfg" File. Sorry, no sweet menu for those options.

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#18]
I was just gonna say where is my gun, but having read the posts, i know you have to find em.
generally looking good, perhaps some of the textures need more detail, but yeah well done so far.
he he, you have the same jump bug as me in my demo.

elias_t(Posted 2003) [#19]
Salute jfk :)

It runs very smooth and stable on my crappy system [celeron 560 / gf400mx] on 800x600 32 bit.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#20]
Thanks Ruz! Hi Elias, glad to hear! Finally I will now install my new card and play it with 60 hz the first time
:)

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#21]
nice characters too, noticed a bullet hole floating in mid air, little bug there.
Love the fade out when the characters die.
hmm haven't beaten it yet though.

c5ven(Posted 2003) [#22]
as usual, i lock up.

Jager(Posted 2003) [#23]
great game, first time locked up but after I rebooted, work luvely!

BUT why are these FPS games always so DARK! is it to hide something? I cannot see where I'm going .. AND I GET SHOT FROM THE NOWHERE!

I still haven't entered the house .. but will definitely try.

Best FPS I've seen so far though :)

Tom(Posted 2003) [#24]
Had another try with Inverted Y mouse, better but feels like there's slight mouse lag. Could you make the doors always open away from the player because my nose is so sore :P

Good work, nice to see FPS demos like this done in BB

Tom

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#25]
Ruz - the Characters are from the Dark Matter CD, I just added some Animations like Running and better Attacks.

The Level is dark? Hmm maybe you should turn up the brightness of your Monitor a bit, I think it wasn't dark at all. Outside the House it is a misty atmosphere and maybe there isn't enough of Contrast with all the grass and the trees. But inside the Building there are lots of lights.

There is a little Mouse "Lag" because I decided to smooth the Mousemovements. There have been some Discussions if a Mouse should be smoothed in a FPS or not and personally I like this more than a complete Realtime Mouse. But of course, this Smoothing could be turned off easily.

I hear some of you had to reboot the Computer. Could you describe this a little closer? Did it freeze the Machine? When exactly?

Also somebody told me of a Illegal Memory Error when he pressed the red elevator-Button. Can anybody confirm this?

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2003) [#26]
Is there any way to even fake real-time shadows on those characters. They don't seem to be "hinged" to the environment. Also there needs to be shadows on the static objects on the ground. The lightmapper in the code archive will do this.

That asside, I wouldn't be saying that if I wasn't impressed. Very fun. I want to see more.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#27]
Thanks. Yes, Shadows would be nice, both, Dynamic ones and those for additional static Objects. But how would you deal with interactive Objects like Items that can be picked up? And what about animated Objects? This could become a bit complicated. Maybe you have seen: you can now shot lightbulbs. But unfortunately the Lightmapping will remain the same, although the lamp turns dark. I needed Lightmaps for every Lamp - or Room.

c5ven(Posted 2003) [#28]
i was locked up during the "Loading" screen. had to reboot. didn't try again. i have this issue with plenty of Blitz stuff anymore. likely my videocard.

Dave(Posted 2003) [#29]
i got an illigel memory address when i reached the elevator, just kicked me out back to desktop when i clicked the button...

John-Robin(Posted 2003) [#30]
Very nice jfk! It's great fun to play and has some very nice game play details! Actually, I played it until I finished it.

Well done!

John-Robin

Tranz(Posted 2003) [#31]
I get a Memory Access Violation when I hit the elvevator button.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#32]
Oops, found the Bug, sorry. Once again I made the mistake to store a Handle in a Float Array. I shoulda have known better. It happens when you only declare the Array in the Dim Statement with a "#"... I'll upload a bugfixed Version in the next hours. Thanks a lot!

BTW. I just installed that ATI Excalibur with a Radeon 9200 Chipset and I tell you that's real crap! Not only the Z-Order in 16 Bit Mode is somewhat inaccurate (it is using a kind of a Distance-dependent Accuracy), also the Mipmapping makes everything a strange Saussage that is more distant than a few Meters from the camera. I also tried to fix this in the Settings - without success. And the Speed is only a bit better than my old Card, but when I set Texture Quality aso. to a value that makes it look about as half as good as my old Card then it's even slower. THe old Card is a Pro Savage S3. And 2D acts real slow und some Circumstances. I am afraid I got to kick this Radeon card out of my machine again. /OT

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#33]
Ok, I just uploaded a debugged Version (well, I hope so). you know, this Handle-as-Float Bug works on some Machines and on some other Machines it crashes. Of course it worked on my machine :) and I played trough the Level several times. The Problem was I temporarily stored a Sound-Channel in a Float Array.

I added a wbuffer Option in "cha_pre.cfg" and set the Default to 32 Bit because of 16 Bit Z-Order Troubles on the Radeon I mentioned above.

Now, could somebody please test this again and tell me if the Elevator Bug is fixed? Please redownload and then use the Ghost-Cheat to fly right to the Elevator button. Press "c" and enter "owhcaspar". Thanks for your help.
http://www.melog.ch/dropper/v20/csp_engine2.zip

Tranz(Posted 2003) [#34]
Yup, that's fixed it for me!

Elevator bug squashed.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#35]
Ok, I will now work on the source (remark it aso.) and on the Tools (finally a nice GUI for the Waypoint Recorder). This will take some time. Until then you might have a look at the various Configuration files in the folder of the Exe. These might give you an Idea on how this Scripting works. Of course I will debug a lot of things and add more Functions and Options as well as a detailed Documentation.
But as I said I am limited to do this in my Spare Time for the next moths, so it might take some time until it's ready.

I want to thank all of you for your Help, Patience and mild Judgement!

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#36]
Would you have any use for a copy of CS3? I'll give you one if you can use it.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#37]
Wow Halo, that's real nice. I am not shure wether I will use CShop, Quill3D, Maplet 2 or Phosphore for upcoming releases, but of course, if you offer me a full version then I shurely say Yes!

Nebula(Posted 2003) [#38]
I have tried to download this project since it was anounced. The site will just not load(I get a cannot find server message)

Do you have a mirror?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#39]
This is really strange. Maybe you should use an anonymizer.
Try
http://anonymouse.ws/cgi-bin/anon-www.cgi/http://www.melog.ch/dropper/

Here's a mirror o fthe file:
http://web114.server17.glai.de/Spiele/eus.cgi?action=showdata&data=6373705f656e67696e65322e7a6970

Dave(Posted 2003) [#40]
jfk, hows the cleanup of the code going? i'm looking forward to working on this technology.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#41]
So you want me to stop posting silly things here and get back to work ? :)

To be honest, I am currently making an Art Break, a phase of inspriation so to say.

Well, I can give you the source of the Engine soon, only got to fix some minor bugs and make a garbage collection for incative parts and stuff.

The Level-editor is also available, byside the fact that the Trees Generator is not very flexible yet (trees or not trees, that's the question).

The Waypoint recorder still needs a lot of work to become flexible.

Of course I can give you the Sources as they are, as I used them, but don't expect a perfect set of tools.

Most important for this update is to know the new features of the engine, and that's pretty simple.

In the Level Editor there's an entry for a userdefined Name which also acts as a Vector for special Actions.
There are several things like

locked number (for doors)
key number
bonus string
weapon number
ammo
medipac
animated [oneshot][sound:filename][trigger:number]
elevator number
and more. I will write a Documentation soon, although this is all pretty selfexplaining if you scroll trough the *.cs2 Level File.

And there is a file named owh.csf. It includes several paths to Files with external Parameters.

However, I hope I'll find some time and motivation to edit the source and write the Docs for you. Please gimme one or two weeks, because I have just started a new Job that takes a lot of (it-)energy...

BTW - I would be glad if you see a chance to combine this Proggy with Quill-made Levels and its VIS capabilities!

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#42]

I would be glad if you see a chance to combine this Proggy with Quill-made Levels and its VIS capabilities

I would be happy to assist with a Quill3d version - the VIS system would be simple to incorporate into your engine.
Let me know.

Dave(Posted 2003) [#43]
It all sounds great jfk, i'm looking forward to using the code. Is the editor source code also going to be available? i was thinking about creating a level editor that let you setup the various parameters of the physics engine i decide on within the editor itself (and allow previewing).

What did you use to create the models for the game? Is it possible to handle landscape based fps also? I'm considering looking into wide open nature scape's but with buildings situated around the forest.

How will i sign for the code? Post?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#44]
I'll send you a mail as soon as I have some code for you. (and to Smiff)

Basicly the Editor is a simple "load and position additional Meshes", but a lot of the Game Engines Functions are triggered by userdefined Object Names. So you can load an Ammo Box and position it somewhere, but it will be only pickable if you declare the userdefined name as "ammo [weapon Number]" and will result in a msg like "picked up ammo for AK47" or something, when you pick it up in the game.

BTW the generalized MSG system would also allow to implement a Speech solution easily - this is a future option as well. I am still looking for a speech tool that works without the MS-Agent Speech Thing.

The Engine can work with any Level Geometry, although true Terrains are not implemented yet, but it wouldn't be a huge Challenge.

Problems I see with Outdoors Scenes are: you need a massive Camerarange (unless it plays in a dense Fog), so there will be performence Problems.

There is one thing that makes it easy to produce real fast Games, even on slow Computers: a low Camerarange. For this you simply have to work after a rule that limits the rooms sizes, or requires corridors to be S-shaped, so all Objects will always be in a short range. This is a very efficient "VIS-Occlusion" and I remember even in the Quake Modding Scene it was a kind of "unwritten Law".

Oh yes, I still got to "outsource" the Camera Range and the Fog Parameters, they should be stored in an external Configuration File... It was a real mistake that I didn't do that yet. But to be honest, the Engine is not fully finished - it might work with one Level, but it still needs some work to be able to load several diffrent levels. But basicly it's near completion.

Ok, I hope I find some time tonight, cya.