Webley Mark IV Service Revolver

Community Forums/Showcase/Webley Mark IV Service Revolver

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#1]
Ignore this line...

Circa 1899

730 polys, currently each moving section is a seperate object suitable for hierarchical animation, still needs textured and maybe a bit of optimization.

I only had one side on reference pic to work from so the dimensions are probably a bit off.

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#2]
Wow, looks really nice. If you can spare some polys, it could probably use a bit more smoothing in the handle. Otherwise, I can't fault it. Excellent.

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#3]
Yeah, I was thinking about adding a bit of bevelling to the handle.

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#4]
you could lose the seam down the back of the handle , unless you need it for something. Also is is the handle meant to be that thick, looks a little odd
trigger guard loks a little flattened too, the one in the pic I saw was much more ovular.bigger in proportion to the gun.
Nice clean construction though, good stuff

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#5]
Yeah, it's more oval in the pic I have as well, but I'm trying to watch my polycount and it's going to be smaller when used in a game.

The seam is a result of the mirror modelling, I will be removing that before I texture it.

I have no idea if the handle is too thick, I onlyhad one reference pic which makes it tricky. It could be the perspective making it look that way, the handle is actually the same thickness as the barrel.

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#6]
i thought it might go in a little at the top, but as you say it probably just the angle I am looking at. anyway,its looking nice so far

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#7]
Nice one. Probably you could save som Tris at the Back and use them on the Handle Sides or Edges. Compare:
http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg91-e.htm

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#8]
damn, I forgot the extractor.

*EDIT*

Does anyone know if the extractor simply lifts the bullet casings out or actually ejects them when it's opened. I know it's spring loaded, but how strong is that spring?

Ice9(Posted 2003) [#9]
Looks like less than 700 there are only about 120 visible
in the screenshot

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#10]
It's comprised of several pieces in order to animate, trust me, there are 730 (in fact more than that since I've added the extractor and will add a bevel to either side of the handle.

Dave Kelly(Posted 2003) [#11]
The Webley extractor will kick the cases clear (usually) ready for insertion of new cartridges. The cartridges themselves were often held together in "half moon" clips - thin strips of metal holding three rounds apiece so that the pistol could be reloaded more quickly.

The reload sequence was usually three stage like this.
- Operate release catch. Open and eject spent rounds.
- Insert first half moon clip
- Insert second half moon clip
- close gun ready for firing.

Without half moon clips the rounds would have to be inserted singly and obviously take longer.

They also frequently had a lanyard ring at the bottom of the pistol grip.

Dave

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#12]