Tattoo 0.85 Demo Release

Community Forums/Showcase/Tattoo 0.85 Demo Release

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi all,

Version 0.85 of Tattoo is ready for Download (1.1 meg)

A whole bunch of new and interesting stuff. But please try it out for yourself and let me know how you get on.

Doggie(Posted 2003) [#2]
Your model is the only one I can get it to load.
No idea why. Just get a memory access violation.
B3d 3ds etc

Doggie

Tom(Posted 2003) [#3]
Nice work Lee :)

That face looks spookily like my m8 Ritchie :)

www.tomspeed.com/misc/ritchie.jpg

Cya!
Tom

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#4]
LOL @ Tom... Poor Ritchie. Good job I didn't paint him..

@ Doggie

Your model is the only one I can get it to load.
No idea why. Just get a memory access violation.
B3d 3ds etc

Can you post a model that crashes. I haven't found a model that will crash it yet!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#5]
:( Lee I wish this would work with my Video-Card. Wouldn't it be possible to implement a Feature that let the user turn off the usage of Copyrect to Texturebuffers with Flag 256? I guess this is the reason why it don't work on my machine and I would really like to use it. I mean - Bit 256 works as long as Copyrect is not used. I can draw to the Texture, but Copyrect fails.

BTW. How about a (texture-)Patternbrush combined with a circular opacy gradient for the pattern? And Masks, I mean the user could select some Tris and define them as Masked, so they will not be colored (just like airbrush masks).

Keep up the good work! Will I have to buy a new Computer because of this App? :)

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#6]
Lee - looking good. Your window order (texture preview and config) is screwed up tho.

I wonder if its possible to calculate if more than one triangle (or backfacing triangles) are being written to at the same time (cos of shared UV space) and show a "!" icon somewhere. Maybe it'd be best to calculate this at load time and display a warning or something.

Just a thought.

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#7]
@ JFK

I'll bung in a config option for the 256 flag thing, but In my tests not having the +256 flag reduces it to 1 FPS or less, so you might not get any benefit out of it.

[edit] Ok it's in! After a few adjustments in merely halves the framerate on some brushes, but it's still usable so far, at least on my PC.

@ MasterBeaker

Your window order (texture preview and config) is screwed up tho.

Thanks.. Squashed it!

I wonder if its possible to calculate if more than one triangle (or backfacing triangles) are being written to at the same time (cos of shared UV space) and show a "!" icon somewhere. Maybe it'd be best to calculate this at load time and display a warning or something.

Triangle Based Masks seem dooable...

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#8]
I'm not sure I meant triangle based masks. :)

It seems a common problem with mesh painting tools that you often paint where you don't intend to (and often can't see). I was looking for an elegant solution to that problem.

Ian Thompson(Posted 2003) [#9]
Lookin good Lee,

May I suggest that you, possibly as an option, keep the airbrish guide circle on for all the tools. It is great for showing the curvature of blank areas when drawing.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#10]
Wow, thanks a lot!!!

bradford6(Posted 2003) [#11]
Excellent1

I am very impressed!

what is this tool written in, how is it rendered?

Steve Fash(Posted 2003) [#12]
Proper Bo that mate...much easier to use than deeppaint 3d...look forward to more updates :)

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#13]
@ Bradford6

It's Blitz3D using Fullernator's (Slightly modified) BlitzGUI for the Menus and Buttons.

0.9 is nearly ready...

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#14]
Lee I guess you forgot to explain how to enable the Secure-256-Flag Option. It still didn't work, I edited the "10" in prefs Text to 00,01 and 11 but it didn't help.

But don't worry about me, I have just bought a new Card (Excalibur readeon 9200 SE 128 MB for 65 Euro). I will now finish the current project and install it later.

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#15]
Lee, nice program, very nice.

A couple of things:

I get a smooth 54 fps until I start painting, then it drops to a not so smooth 10 fps. If I right-click to pick a colour, the fps jumps back up (and I can rotate fine) until I start drawing again.

Is it possible to invert the colour of the brush outline so that it can be seen on texture areas with the same colour as the painting colour?

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#16]
@ jfk

Lee I guess you forgot to explain how to enable the Secure-256-Flag Option. It still didn't work, I edited the "10" in prefs Text to 00,01 and 11 but it didn't help.

What you were editing was the undo levels!

This the 256 Flag option will be in the 0.9 release. I should have been more clear about it really. It's in the version I have at home (0.9), but has not been released yet.

@ Perturbatio - It's strange really, My specs are rather similar to yours, but I get 160 FPS and never drop below 30 FPS. I managed to boost performance about 20% in the next version (0.9) too.

To my horror I also found that disabling 'Force to VRAM' flags made the frame rates rocket to 200 odd on some machines! So my advice when you get 0.9 is to try it out and see what suits your setup!

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#17]
I'm using Det. 45.23, could be that.

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#18]

I'm using Det. 45.23, could be that.

Definately. They've screwed something up in the latest detonators. I only got 1 FPS when using them! 44.03 seem fine though.

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#19]
yup, that was it, restored back to 44.03 and it works nicely now, nice stable 60 fps.

spec-e(Posted 2003) [#20]

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#21]
Just goes to prove that the latest is not always the greatest!

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#22]
If you're having trouble finding them, you can download them [a http://www.nvidia.com/content/license/location.asp?url=ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/44.03/44.03_win2kxp_international.exe]here[/a]

Doggie(Posted 2003) [#23]
@Terabit: Sorry, still no go.
Must be something about my machine
since no one else has this problem.
I'd post a model, but you can try
any model from the free section
of 3DCafe since those are the ones
I've been trying.

SONY VAIO -PCV-RX830 GeForce 4MX 440/440SE 64 mb
DirectX 9.0 1024x768(32bit)(60hz)

Doggie

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#24]
Hi Doggie,

Must be your machine. I downloaded a number of files from 3D cafe but they all came in without a hitch.

None of them seem to have textures with them, but the geometry is in tact!