The End-all Be-all Physics Engine

Community Forums/Showcase/The End-all Be-all Physics Engine

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#1]
Download (3.89 mb)

I spent about a day working with my physics routines. I made some adjustments, simplified the code, and found that very complex simulations could be created, including the following:

-Newtonian physics
-Gravity
-Chains
-Springs
-Angular constraints
-Rigid bodies
-Soft bodies
-Cloth
-Ragdoll simulation

There are only about three main commands you need, EnablePhysics(entity), LinkEntities(entity1,entity2), and Constrain(entity1,entity2,entity3,min#,max#). These simple commands form the basis of the higher-level processes, even the ragdoll. This should meet all physics needs in Blitz3D. You can really do anything with this. I'll name my price once I decide.

The flag demo remade.

Rigid body simulation.

The Coup de Grace', ragdoll simulation.

Bouncer(Posted 2003) [#2]
don't know about selling it... it's a bit too simple to implement. If you however make a really fast collision system and get it stabile enough to handle complex scenes, you might have something valuable.

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#3]
Did you just say that was simple?

I have decided what my price is. I don't want money.

1. I want someone, I don't care who, to buy me this sniper rifle model so I can use it in my game engine ($46.50):
http://www.turbosquid.com/HTMLClient/FullPreview/FullPreview.cfm/ID/209895/Action/FullPreview

2. I want a good model of a pair of nightvision goggles. It has to be a good model!

Only then I will release the source.

Bouncer(Posted 2003) [#4]
You sound like a hostage keeper threattening the police :)... no offence. lol.

Yes I said that was simple... hmmm.. maybe I should write the same demos tomorrow night, so people don't have to buy your models.

And you allready released the source in advanced forums... so what's the point?

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#5]
The old source is missing some crucial elements.

Go ahead, try to make the ragdoll demo, and then we'll never anything more of it.

Tranz(Posted 2003) [#6]
I'd say Bouncer has a good chance of making that demo.

skidracer(Posted 2003) [#7]
Halo, is the rotational inertia (spin) evident in your rigid body example just a by product of the constraint algorithm?

Dave(Posted 2003) [#8]
i hope all of this will be integrated seamlessly into the singularity engine (obviously you need to get the model first and also the nightvision googles)...

Dave(Posted 2003) [#9]
what about truck physics?

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#10]
Oh, it's on now, Bouncer!

Yeah, that just happened on it's own. I like it when higher-level phenomenon arise as a result of the low-level stuff! When one joint in the body gets moved, you are applying torque to the overall object, and it just naturally spins. In reality, there is no "object". It's just a bunch of linked balls, and together they behave like a solid thing.

Going to look for nightvision goggle pics now...I want this to be open-source, but I do want some little reward for making it free, and what I'm asking for is only going to help the community.

Bouncer(Posted 2003) [#11]
Okey... what should I make... any suggestions? something interesting... wouldn't want to repeat halo, so something that's not in the halo's examples allready.

maybe some objects interacting with cloth???

skidracer(Posted 2003) [#12]
Not to mention the entertainment value of you and bouncer having a physsing competition.

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#13]
Do the ragdoll. I bet you can't!

Here's a nighvision set. I prefer the monocular look myself, since it makes it more obvious what it is.

DREAM(Posted 2003) [#14]
i had 14 objects in the rigid body demo before i came to an almost complete stop, any more than 6-8 objects you loose the frame rate..(((fps at start (62-90))))

Running a 1.7 ghz intel P4, 512k mem, ati radeon 32 meg video......

DREAM(Posted 2003) [#15]
do the ragdoll with clothes on juggling 6 rigid body balls and firing bouncing balls from a hole in its chest

dmc(Posted 2003) [#16]
looks like a good start halo. and definatly lays the foundation to start simulating very simple structures.

i would be impressed if you could take what you have now and apply it towards something more complex like a vehicle.

if you reach that stage then i think the title of your application will be appropriate.

Cronos(Posted 2003) [#17]
I can make two models for you, a rifle or googles...
so I can change for your Physics Engine, I Just need
two days so to do them...

sswift(Posted 2003) [#18]
I thought Halo was saying he wanted someone to BUY him a good set of REAL nightvision goggles. :-)

RexRhino(Posted 2003) [#19]
If you charged $20, I would gladly pay for it, and I image that 3-4 other people would too. Why not just ask for a $20 fee instead, then give it away once you get the money?

Zephar123(Posted 2003) [#20]
Bouncer, do the ragdoll demo, frankly you spoke and halo accepted your challenge. Not to say you can or cannot do it, but when you speak like you did bouncer you should really bakc up your words.

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#21]
Sorry Halo, but this seriosly isn't anything to new. OF course you can do rigid bodies, of course you can do all the other stuff like blobs and cars(although this is very hard) I mean, no offense, but this is unnempressive compared to bouncer's, Dmcs, and Miracles work. You have an engine that is probably fairly convienient, as it has so few commands, but if you try harder things like cars, fast moving objects, or stable complex rigid bodies, your in trouble. In fact, I've already done everything on your list except newtonian physics which isn't desireble since verlet is faster, and more stable for use on computers.

Truely people, if you want a free opensource engine go for dmcs, or possibly mine when it's done.

I'm not really trying to put a dent in your "all incompassing physics" idea, as it is similar to mine(except I'm not charging). And what you have is amazing for someone who as been working on singularity etc. for a while. I mean, your physics engine is only a couple of days or a week or two old right? mines like 3 months. well, I suppose you have much more experience than me etc. I just don't think that you should leap up and exclaim that you have created a system for
all physics needs in Blitz3D
. In a couple months of incubation I think you could sell this, with a good particle editor, and some solid examples.

Oh yeah, and my ragdoll sux. I only did it in one hour, and haven't had a chance to add bone rotations of yet.

Ummm, oh yeah, and I forgot to mention that this type of physics would be perfect for singularity.

poopla(Posted 2003) [#22]
Will one of you jsut officially release something we can use already? ;) At any rate, nice work, beyond me atm. Nice work with the constraints halo.

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#23]
Ummm, ragdoll physics without angular constraints is just a bunch of chains. That's like saying you wrote a lightmapper, but just haven't found a way to assign UV coords yet.

I have yet to see anyone do what I just did, and all I'm asking for is a couple of models for an open-source game engine.

poopla(Posted 2003) [#24]
I don't get you people, everyone has been crying for this stuff, and now that halo has done it, it's "nothing new". Well it is in the blitz open source community. I thank you for your hard work halo!

RexRhino(Posted 2003) [#25]
Halo,

Why don't you just charge money for it? People are just player haters, and are never going to give props. But they will pay money if they really want the ability to use these thing.

Like I said, I think it is cool, and I would be happy to pay 20 dollars for it... but $80 dollars (which is the cost of the two models you want), is pretty steep for one person to pay (and good luck getting a group of people organized to pool their money together). Just put up an email address to send you the paypal payment, and I bet you get enough to pay for those models really quickly.

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#26]
Bot Builder, I just read your post more closely. You said I don't need Newtonian physics. Newtonian Physics is simple translational motion, i.e. velocities and momentum, the very basis of all mechanical physics! Do you even know what you're talking about?

Rex, I'm sure it will happen sooner or later. I'm not going to charge for this, because I would feel like I was holding the community hostage, and I wouldn't make much anyways. You guys don't buy my map editor, you don't pay for models, there's just no money to be made from Blitz users. I don't consider it a viable market, which is why CShop doesn't support Blitz-specific features.

darklordz(Posted 2003) [#27]
AAw peeps don't bust halo's nuts on this one. I for one think it looks good and haven't seen any better.

l8trz

Paully(Posted 2003) [#28]
Oh god, someone please pop that big zit that is halo's inflated ego... *yawn*

Vorderman(Posted 2003) [#29]
Well I've just wasted my time downloading that, and ran the ball demo, to be greeted by balls inside other balls.

Congrats.

Miracle, DMC and others spend ages perfecting an engine that can simulate a car in a world pretty well, but don't feel the need to create a full page ego-booster. Respect is due to them.

That front banner should perhaps be removed?

Paully(Posted 2003) [#30]
LOL

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#31]
There is nothing in these demos that hasn't been done before in Blitz (often better), including soft bodies and ragdoll.

Paully(Posted 2003) [#32]
Well said, that man.

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#33]
Where can I find another ragdoll demo in Blitz? Show me.

Paully(Posted 2003) [#34]
*yawn* how about in full games or even shareware games???

How many games you written and had published?

PsychicParrot(Posted 2003) [#35]
Man, you guys are HARSH! Chill out - the landlubber has given his code t'community, we all should commend that me hearties...

(National Talk Like a Pirate Day today 19th Sept 2003)

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#36]
I was pretty impressed personally.

Though I don't have much use for this stuff at the moment. I sure as hell couldn't do any better in a reasonable amount of time. Nice!

Litobyte(Posted 2003) [#37]
Work appreciated Halo,
but to make me appreciate more,
may I see the source code ?

Is there any IK calculation on joints ?
Are they .b3d bones ?

I was doing something similar with the ninja.b3d model and ODE, but I will try soon also with verlet code.

Anyway I see this stuff in games it's implemented rarely, and used only in certain action/condition in a game.

So I don't care if I have a full scene full of ragdolls dancing / falling around with true physic (EG: Tomakak SDK)

I saw this kind of stuff only in UT2003 (only when player die) and Hitman, and is not certainly the focus point (a bit like for shadows) of a succesful game.

Is very nice you have so much time to experiment HALO,
pity all this stuff is not so good with a single joint per vertex weighting...

CyberHeater(Posted 2003) [#38]
For crying out loud. Back off. Every time that Halo offers something to the community the same old culprits come out of the woodwork and slag him off. It's really easy to critisize and it's destructive. If halo is offering this stuff to the community (even if he's asking for a couple of models in return) it's all good.

Jesus, why can't we all just get along. Rant over & Peace.

BTW. Halo: I bought your CShop. Good stuff. Maybe you need to advertise it more.

Tracer(Posted 2003) [#39]
Nice job Halo.

If you still need the snipe rifle, let me know. I am sure my artist has one in his portfolio.

Tracer

IPete2(Posted 2003) [#40]
Halo,

Nice work as always.

IPete2.

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#41]
That'd be awesome.

Tracer(Posted 2003) [#42]
I'll ask him tomorrow alright.

Tracer

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#43]
Wow, I just looked at the "tunnel" HL2 preview. It's amazing how many things they have going on in there!

The reason my rigid bodies are slow is because the links get updated even when they don't need to be. If I could find an easy way to just deactivate a non-moving entity, and take it out of the loop until something happens to make it become active again, we could get massive speed increases, for all routines in general.

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#44]
Don't get me wrong, I see some good here, but it claims to be "The Be-A-BellEnd Physics Engine". That, it is not. It *is* nice and simple and would fit well into a FPS. But, is it really beyond criticism?

Halo - the cloth demo looks very jumpy. There is something not right in your code there.

The first ragdoll demo I saw a while back on these forums somewhere. The other I saw more recently, not sure if it was released as a demo or not. It had a proper attached mesh tho. How come yours doesn't?

Vorderman(Posted 2003) [#45]
Right on. Post it as a normal WIP, rather than a better-than-yours ego trip.

there's just no money to be made from Blitz users. I don't consider it a viable market

..perhaps there's a reason for that? Other people here can see it...

BlitzSupport(Posted 2003) [#46]
Good stuff, Halo -- ignore the nay-sayers (sure you will anyway). Check the Trap Town HL2 video -- way cooler stuff in that!

Vorderman(Posted 2003) [#47]
fnar.

necky(Posted 2003) [#48]
Come on guys give Halo a break. I think what he's asking for in return for him releasing his code is extremely generous. Look into what most physics engines cost before going off on one.

Dave(Posted 2003) [#49]
i have been a long term supporter of halo's work in general, he has in all honesty given us a complete fps engine to work with (and now physics) and he cannot be slated for this.

I think its about time people ignored the person behind the source and started taking it for what it is and what its worth.

Mousey(Posted 2003) [#50]
Regardless of any other issues, why on earth people can't see and acknowledge Halo's obvious talent is beyond me. Jealousy maybe?

I think this physics library will be a fantastic compliment to Blitz3D, and for once it sounds like you don't have to be an advanced programmer to implement it.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#51]
good stuff halo, you have it spot on RexRhino, easy implemention is a great point of this libraby by halo.
All you guys who want a top physics library should get halo that gun or goggles cos with what he has managed so quickly just think what he can do months down the line.

ps he may have a big ego, so what, doesn't hurt us does it and he never puts others down(or rarely does if ever) and backs most of his mouth up :). Let him be an ego-maniac, he's one of the best coders in are community and did release a top fps engine source for free.

I don't think he is asking too much.

Nebula(Posted 2003) [#52]
Halo gets my vote for blitzer of the year. Very impressive stuff.

Caligula(Posted 2003) [#53]
Halo - I think your work shows great potential, and you have always been among the great contributors to the Blitz community. I don't have a problem spending money on good ideas or products that further Blitz development, especially ones that save time. I have bought every version of Cartography shop, Swift's shadow system, Quill 3D, and several other Blitz related items, if for no other reason than to show appreciation to the person who put in the time and hard work to create it. Many talented people have made incredible contributions to the Code archives and Forums, and deserve some sort of recognition or reward, so I wish people would show a bit more gratitude for those who are doing something productive.

Halo, let me know what you need - I don't mind investing in your physics system. You can contact me at xminstrel@...
Thanks!

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#54]
Nice, but do the joints actually rotate in the stickman thingy?

Otherwise it's not of much use...

Fredborg

Bouncer(Posted 2003) [#55]
Okey... I'll post something tonight........

LostCargo(Posted 2003) [#56]
halo. is there any doc on the rotation? Nice demo. Im chomping at the bit to see some code!

Looks great!

Tom(Posted 2003) [#57]
Halo, what kinda polycount for the goggles?

I got something going here, tried to keep it low poly, but I'm looking at 2k when tripled (all those bevels).

www.tomspeed.com/misc/nv_goggles.jpg

Tom

LostCargo(Posted 2003) [#58]
Halo,
Is it posible to update the constraints of rotation after they have been specified? also, have you thought of implementing a feature like 'Grab' where an end node will move towards an object by rotating the appropriate joints?
Ie. Avatar turns body to face the apple, and lifts upper arm and lowers lower arm, adjusting each until the collision is made between the apple and the hand node.
I was trying to work out the best way to do this, and i wouldnt mind getting a hold of some code for the physics engine you wrote so i can see if it can have the feature added. If u pass a copy my way i could have a crack at adding it. I would release me code as well.

Bouncer(Posted 2003) [#59]
Who wants a free ragdoll example later tonight... I'll start now, coz I have some free time on my hands. See ya...

Genexi2(Posted 2003) [#60]
I think your soft body physics routine need's a little work...
(well, after making it bounce up and down quickly by clickin' the mouse, the ball kinda gets caught in itself then looks like a deflated ball :P )

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2003) [#61]
Hey Halo, I offered before and you didn't reply. I can make that gun model for you, just like that one or to you specifications. I need coding help badly. I'm a good artest but a very bad coder. I can make charactors, levels, textures, you name it. What do you want, a resume! Here's my e-mail again, cnisbet@.... In the mean time, I'll try to figure out how to get some of my content on the web so you can see it. In fact, I already started working on a sniper rifle model. I didn't have that turbo squid one for reference so I based it on an H&K. I'll start making one like the turbo squid one.

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#62]
Sorry Halo, I mean, it is a nice physics engine, and thank you fo releasing our very cool singularity engine. Your engine is probably good for say, most blitz 3d apps. It's just that for games completly designed around physics, like cars, it would be advisable to have an engine with many settings etc. I know what newtonian physics is. it's just that verlet integrtion is more powerful.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#63]
Regardless of any other issues, why on earth people can't see and acknowledge Halo's obvious talent is beyond me. Jealousy maybe?

It's because he's arrogant. People generally don't respond well to that.

Zephar123(Posted 2003) [#64]
Well Halo I want to thank you for all your work. (wish you would reply to some of my stuff hehe i have models for you by now.) I bought cshop a while ago and appreciate all the commitment you have done with it. I reccomend a lot of people to buy it. INfact id put a link on my website for it if you would like. i dfork out the 40 bucks for you, but im b\roke out of my mind my wife real ill and i cant work like i use to.

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2003) [#65]
Why are pro coder arrogent anyway? I've worked with a lot of coders in my career and most of them, like 75% of them are self centered jerks with no social skills. What the hell?

Physt(Posted 2003) [#66]
Have to hand it to the guy, he KNOWS how to start a thread... :)

Bouncer(Posted 2003) [#67]
Genexi2: allready taken care of... I mean the blob problem.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#68]
Why are pro coder arrogent anyway? I've worked with a lot of coders in my career and most of them, like 75% of them are self centered jerks with no social skills. What the hell?

You'll find that the truly talented coders in this world are generally reserved, quiet people without ego. John Carmack, Tim Sweeney, etc.

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#69]
Baudspeed, if you just move the hand towards an object, the entire body will adjust...I guess this is IK, more or less.

Whoever that was waving money at me, I'm not looking for cash with this, because it wouldn't be that successful. No, I want models. And I would prefer this to be open-source anyways, because it will beef Blitz up quite a bit.

Oh, I know what "ragdoll" you guys are talking about now...it had no limb constraints!!!! Bouncer's latest is close, but there is no fron or backside to his figure. The joints rotate in either direction equally well!

To all my "fans": It just tears you up inside, doesn't it? You really take me seriously. I'm not a programmer, just a mapper tired of working with crappy programmers.

Don't be a halo hater.

Zo Zo Zee Zar(Posted 2003) [#70]
bit off topic i know but who the hell would have a half naked man in his signature - its owwible and disturbing. If this forum was 90% female i would understand...but it's not.

Anyways, sorry to burst in on the thread - i was just shocked.

Techlord(Posted 2003) [#71]
Good work as always Halo and I personally have no problem with you seeking compensation for your hard work. People will pay for quality and convenience.

I have observe many offers that involve sending money condemned instantly. Ironically, offers to recieve money are condemned as well (hint: Tournament Blitz w/ Free SDK for Blitz Developers to profit from Ca$h Tournament Games).

I find this attitude very interesting. I would hope that this is a minority point of view. I believe that everyone putting forth efforts would like to profit them and can. These individuals can relate and understand your intentions.

A gamer evolved: player -> developer -> publisher

Bouncer(Posted 2003) [#72]
Maybe a GAY like me ??? :) lol

Zo Zo Zee Zar(Posted 2003) [#73]
LOL fair comment :)

Tom(Posted 2003) [#74]
Ok... if you've all finished rambling on can we get back on topic? :)

Halo is after some night goggles & a sniper gun in exchange for some neat code. Goggles are near done, but I aint forking out 40 odd bucks for a sniper gun, any takers on making one?

If not I'll give it ago

Tom
p.s go bash yourselves, it's a lot more fun!

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#75]
If someone makes a good rifle, I'll accept that, but it has to be good!

No one has posted any WIPS yet, so it's totally open still.

sswift(Posted 2003) [#76]
"Maybe a GAY like me ??? :) lol"

That brings a whole new meaning to your sig...

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#77]
if i was playing for the other side, arnie would be in my list of top 10 :)

Warren(Posted 2003) [#78]
Halo

Why not take up a PayPal donation system and when it reaches $40, buy the sniper rifle for yourself? Why does it have to be one person forking over the money?

Smurfpuss(Posted 2003) [#79]
halo i have sent you a e-mail

Tom(Posted 2003) [#80]
Halo, I posted a link to a pic a while back ^^, in my first post.

Tom
p.s I suck, what's the tag to insert a pic again?

Tom(Posted 2003) [#81]
Bouncer & all,

I liked your ragdoll demo too, but, you only created it to show off in response to Halo. Do we have to start 'one-up-man-ship' threads now to get nice code snippets? pffff

I've had a go at Halo and other people about posting commercial code in these forums in the past, to less knowledgable coders, it'd be like waving candy in front of your kid, but they've gotta wash the car to get it, rather than just give you a hug :)

I still say a commercial forum for people selling code would be nice! If you don't wanna pay for code, don't go there.

Halo offered this particular code in exchange for 2 models...ok one was on turbosquid, and hell no I aint paying for it. But I'll sure have a go at modeling something similar, which will cost me nothing but a bit of time, a fair swap.

Tom

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#82]
I just realized that I am very likely triggering the Department of Homeland Security when I send out emails saying I am looking for a sniper rifle and a pair of night vision goggles.

I really want to do two things here.

1. See where the modeling talent is hiding on this forum and hopefully get them interested in my open-source game engine.

2. See if I can motivate the community to act together in unison to get something substantial done.

Uhfgood(Posted 2003) [#83]
"You'll find that the truly talented coders in this world are generally reserved, quiet people without ego. John Carmack"

Eh, that should be the other way around ;-)

Tom(Posted 2003) [#84]
LOL

You don't think in the privacy of his own home, John Carmack hasn't once looked around...seen no one was about...and done the "Oh yeh, you the man John....YOU THE MAN!!!!....YOU THE BEST G'DAMN HOT M&^*&^*&^^G CODER......yeah baby...you KNOW IT!" thing?

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#85]
It's not exactly something to brag about.

So I decided that links aren't fast enough for making rigid bodies. I wrote some faster code that specifically handles rigid boxes of any dimensions. I think it's okay, but I can only get about 20 boxes before the framerate drops below 100. Didn't someone post some verlet code for handling like 100 rigid objects? I'd like to see what some other methods are.

It comes down to having 8 joints that correspond to the corners of a box. You average their positions to find where the box is centered, and then there are a couple of ways to find which way the box is rotated.

Smurfpuss(Posted 2003) [#86]
i will see halo if i can make the textures my self or if i will need some help on that department texturing is not my strong side

bradford6(Posted 2003) [#87]
Halo,

Nice job Man. You are very talented. You are also an opinionated, egotistical jerk, You'll make a nice middle manager someday. :)

keep up the good work

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#88]
I found a way to turn off physics updating if the entity isn't being affected. I was able to run 400 balls at 90 FPS. Of course, if you had that many moving objects it would be suicide, but I figure you'll only have about 10-20 rigid bodies flying around at any given time. This allows you to spread a lot of physical entities across a map and not worry about slowdown from objects that are just sitting there.

Actually Bill, I'll be a medical doctor in about five years.

Smurfpuss(Posted 2003) [#89]
i sent you the goggles modell halo but the skin is not the best one pleas replay for ideas or other stuff you need

Smurfpuss(Posted 2003) [#90]

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#91]
Why not post the skin and model and let others help finish it?

Smurfpuss(Posted 2003) [#92]
well first i sent you the skin and modell but the uv-map is really meassy and it is a lot of work arraning the uv-map. And texturing is well not my good side but not bad for a 10min modell

but oki i will post the zip i sent you
http://www.angelfire.com/games5/ollesvensson/texturedgoggles.zip

the uv-map is crap but any one that knows how they whant it to make the best texture can arrange it from scrap again

Smurfpuss(Posted 2003) [#93]
a damm stuppid homepage well mail me and i will send the modell

Tom(Posted 2003) [#94]
Here's what I ended up with, still needs a head strap thingymabob :)

Polycount aint so low, any less and you end up with lots of visible edges :/

2300 polys

Based on this NV model:

http://www.nightvisionmall.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ITT-NQ5001&Category_Code=BG

Tom

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#95]
WOW!

Poly count needs to be around 500 though. A lot of the geometry on there needs to be done with textures.

Amazing model.

Al Mackey(Posted 2003) [#96]
Halo will be a medical doctor?

"You need a heart transplant? Sure! I can make your heart better than new! But before I give it to you, I need a good-looking low-polygon model of the Louvre, inside and out. For the community."

This is really neat looking stuff, Halo. Looking forward to the day when I can play around with attaching one of my models to the ragdoll code.. but not enough to actually give you stuff, since I am poor.

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#97]
I found a bigger picture of the same model:

I contacted Night Quest and asked for photographs of the goggles, to make textures with.

sswift(Posted 2003) [#98]
Halo, you could make textures that look like THAT in like an hour with no help from the company. They're not likely to help you out anyhow. :-)

I'd consider making a low poly model like that, with quality textures but I have zero interest in your physics code. :-)

I'd want a copy of cartography shop 3. :-)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#99]
Maybe they help you and send you Images (hope you told them to send you top- and sideviews).

You should do it like the James Bond Movie Production. Product Placement. Send a letter to BMW, Lotus, Omega, Walther and probabl you will get a lot of nice gifts soon :) - well, Doom or HL could do this.

Doiron(Posted 2003) [#100]
Working on a detailed sniper rifle right now.
How many polys do you expect? 1000?

Dave(Posted 2003) [#101]
at last people are helping halo :-) gonna be worth it!

Tom, your modelling skills are really good btw!

Halo, it would be intresting to actually make the nightgoogles ultra realistic in that the battery life and actual vision distances and things were accurate based off the spec's....

Tom(Posted 2003) [#102]
Manualy reduced it (akk!) down to 1046 polys, any lower it's gonna suck :)

Here it is in Lightwave format if anyone wants to have a mess with it. Texturing aint my big thing, that could be improved upon.

http://www.tomspeed.com/goggles/goggles.zip

cya!
Tom

Doiron(Posted 2003) [#103]
I have manually reduced (again :) ) the detail from 1042 polys to 725 without sensible detail losses. Now, only a redesign of the binoculars (which is the most polygon-eater part) can put the polycount at about 500 polys... maybe quad shaped binoculars would do the trick?

www.tecnomapper.com\bin\Goggles_725.zip

The sniper rifle is about ready, and I'll post it tomorrow (though I don't know if I'll be able to release a textured version of the model in time).

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#104]
There's three circles on the front side of the main piece that should be done with textures. Other than that, I'd say the mesh is done.

1,000 polys is about right for a sniper rifle.

Dave(Posted 2003) [#105]
personally think that nightvision model looks ace! Gonna look good in game i'm sure :-)

Doiron(Posted 2003) [#106]
There's three circles on the front side of the main piece that should be done with textures.

I didn't have the time to mess with the UV texture... fixed. (707 poligons)
www.tecnomapper.com\bin\Goggles_707.zip

Kudos go to Tom for the original model of course.

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#107]
Okay, you are awesome.

Smurfpuss(Posted 2003) [#108]
ya if it's reduced to a lower polycount there will onlu be a box left 707polys i think is low enuff

poopla(Posted 2003) [#109]
Whats the latest compilation of singularity? (as in where is the DL link located?) Does it have physics integrated? I havnt been able to keep up with this as much as I would like. Nice work all.

Doiron(Posted 2003) [#110]
ya if it's reduced to a lower polycount there will onlu be a box left 707polys i think is low enuff

Yep, the only other step would be to redesign the binoculars. It doesn't look too bad right now though:
[img http:\\www.tecnomapper.com\bin\TomGogglesPreview.jpg]

And here it is a preview of the sniper rifle (roughly 1000 polys, nearly done):
[temp image removed]

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#111]
I'd say the night vision mesh is okay where it is. There's not much places to trim polys without losing detail, and it looks great right now.

Beautiful sniper rifle. I guess we can say that Doiron is the bad-ass modeler here.

Doiron(Posted 2003) [#112]
Beautiful sniper rifle. I guess we can say that Doiron is the bad-ass modeler here.

Eheh, thanks... among with my brother: we formed some sort of a symbiosis when it comes to modelling and the such (we both worked on it).

[edit]I did an evaluation error: roughly 1000 was meant in 'quadrangular faces' (I didn't recognize it since I checked with an editor which I thought only reported triangular faces), so I have to manually reduce te poligon count for this too... nothing to really worry about, but it will just require a bit more time.

necky(Posted 2003) [#113]
Will you release the collision code now Halo? :)

If it's a case of having to do a 3D/2D piece of work for you then name your model. :)

cya,
Mike

Bug Face(Posted 2003) [#114]
Bloody hell! Way to go modelers!

And as for Halo's post... Hell he's just proud of his code!

BlitzSupport(Posted 2003) [#115]
Top community action!

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#116]
You know what would be cool is a tripod-mounted machine gun.

Dave(Posted 2003) [#117]
yeah that would be nice infact :-)

You know how we have the nightvision googles Halo? What about heatseeking googles? Where it would be possible to track an enemy within a room for example.

With regards to the tripod mounted gun, would that mean their could be standalone weapons also? have you ever played perfect dark on the N64? It contains a weapon known as the "laptop gun", this is a multistate weapon. Which basically means you can use as a normal gun (With a blazing firerate) or attach it to anything in the game and let it do the shooting (automatically) when your not about.

Their are some weapons i really like, like remote mines, proximty mines and sub machine guns...

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#118]
I don't think you can do IR effects without pixel shaders.

You can add weapons yourself pretty easily. Take a look at the item_mp5.bb file to see how

Doiron(Posted 2003) [#119]
I don't think you can do IR effects without pixel shaders.

What about the gamma commands? I remember I saw something similar on this forums a while ago. Nothing as complex as pixel shaders, but it could be a suited and overall nice effect.

The sniper rifle is on the way, I just had little time to work on it yesterday.

sswift(Posted 2003) [#120]
Of course you can do IR effects without pixel shaders. You need seperate maps for every object that represents the amount of heat that comes off that specifc body part, and to enhance the effect you'll want to blur the screen and have motion blur.

Pixel shaders aren't needed for everyhting ya know. Metroid Prime does IR effects just fine.

Doiron(Posted 2003) [#121]
You need seperate maps for every object that represents the amount of heat that comes off that specifc body part, and to enhance the effect you'll want to blur the screen and have motion blur

(eh, I was editing about the need of additional texture maps, but sswift was faster it seems :D )

Doiron(Posted 2003) [#122]
Here is the sniper rifle: (1170 polys)
http://www.tecnomapper.com/bin/SniperRifle.zip

It still lacks texturing: if someone is willing to give it a go, he is welcome. Otherwise, I'll do it sometime in the future.

It's free for any use, just give credit to us.

_PJ_(Posted 2003) [#123]
hmmm - i might have skipped most of the posts here, but only because they were beginning to bore me.

What I saw with the download was some very neat, correct-looking physics and motion examples which I thought were really good.

Who cares if it's been done or not... What's important is that halo is prepared to share this, and he's obviously worked hard on it - I cannot believe the lack of gratitude and respect the comes back from a lot of people.

rsbrowndog(Posted 2003) [#124]
I 100% agree with Malice!

It's funny, the two people who seem to come in for the most stick here are halo and sswift (although they do seem to enjoy flinging the mud at each other for some reason!) and yet they are probably the two people who have contributed the most, in my humble opinion.

That's not meant as a slight on anyone else who was contributed stuff to the community, you are all wonderful! Personally I have contributed nothing, as I have never created anything actually worth sharing!

One day, one day...

Cheers,

Ryan

Tom(Posted 2003) [#125]
Halo & all,

I've had a messwith the sniper rifle, there was some really funky geometry in there, in Lightwave terms we call it '2 point polys', kinda like redundant poly edges. I ended up removing about 300 polys without drasticly changing the look, although it does look more conventional with the colors used in this GL screenshot. Also the UV map was all messed up when I imported it into LW, dunno if that's the funky 3DS importer or not :) I'll redo the UVs if this incarnation of the model is 'the one' you guys want to use.

716 polys

Also, I've had a go at making some first person view arms/hands. Currently at 365 polys per arm/hand. But bear in mind I can remove unseen geometry from each arm and probably reduce the overall count to about 500.

I can animate these to suit, but I'd need some hard coordinates for for each weapon used in the engine. Unless you can suggest a better way, this is what I was thinking

Using a righthanded player, think of the center of the palm as the coordinate I need:

Left hand position holding stock
Left hand magazine clip position
Left hand weapon cock (ooer!) 2 coords needed here, grab, pull to..

Right hand on handle

Bear in mind in LW I work using real world scale.

What ya think?

Tom

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#126]
Bear in mind in LW I work using real world scale.

I prefer to use "1m = 2^1.42 bananas" myself, but maybe it's just me... SERIOUSLY speaking, gun looks good to me, bit low-poly maybe (wait till you see my gun...) but good nevertheless and suitable for low-HW games too.

I wouldn't worry about reducing "not-seen" polygons from the hand - modern hardware (GF1 and up) does not really care if it's rendering 500 or 1000 polygons; the speed is same.

If someone wants to use the hand for pressing a key from a keyboard in the game then it would be handy (pun intended) to have all the polygons on the backhand too? :)

Warren(Posted 2003) [#127]
I cannot believe the lack of gratitude and respect the comes back from a lot of people.

Hey, respect is a two way street. I don't see a lot of traffic coming from Halo's direction.

Doiron(Posted 2003) [#128]
I've had a messwith the sniper rifle, there was some really funky geometry in there, in Lightwave terms we call it '2 point polys', kinda like redundant poly edges

It's thanks to the standard bevel, which I asked not to use it to my brother after the first part was ready (he's not used to low poly stuff, so I had to optimize the model when I took over the 'first draft'): I don't know about your low-poly version... it looks 'too much' low poly. I would probably redo the binocular, and the smoothing groups in your version are gone too.

Anyway, it think it didn't need another polycount reduction (I already put it from 2000 to 1170), since the removal of the poly edges already puts it on 1080 with good detail (if you go to the atlas view you can remove that polygons in a snap). I wouldn't call it 'funky geometry' though since that extra triangles didn't compromise or segment the structure of the model, unless every model which is composed by a single object can be defined funky. Thanks for pointing that out though, I sorted it.

I'll upload the 1080 polys version as soon as possible (sorting the smoothing groups again)... there is someone capable and willing to help on texturing?

Tom(Posted 2003) [#129]
Ah you used LW? didn't know that :)

There are no smoothing groups yet, normaly do that when doing UVs.

In 2 years of using LW, I've never seen the Bevel tool create bad geometry, it must have crept in elsewhere. Merging points with a threshold is a good candidate for that :)

Good work all the same.

People! Let's keep the cool 'free' content coming, we'll all benefit from it.

Tom

Doiron(Posted 2003) [#130]
Ah you used LW? didn't know that :)

Only for the first draft, not at home though (borrowed some spare time from the office): so far my projects didn't involve very complex 3d models and so I didn't really need it, though I'm planning to buy a copy of it very soon for some stuff I wanted to develop in the (near?) future.

In 2 years of using LW, I've never seen the Bevel tool create bad geometry, it must have crept in elsewhere.

A guy named David Ikeda even released a plugin which solved many of the issues of the standard bevel (while other more advanced bevel plugins have been released too): in this case, it created some of the issues which led to...
Merging points with a threshold is a good candidate for that :)

...and I definitely forgot to check the model out before releasing it seems. :D

The final version shows correct geometry and 781 polys (slightly more than the version you showed a while ago, but without the loss of detail), well under the 1000 polys limit agreed before. Now, it 'just' need texturing.

Download here:
http://www.tecnomapper.com/bin/SniperRifleFinal781.zip

Halo, what do you think of it?

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#131]
I think it looks great, but it needs a little more detail, and the round parts should have more sides. This is the model you will see in FPS view, so if the mesh is boring, it will really show. Compare that scope to the one on the rifle I posted way above.

I think it's really good, though, and just needs a little extra details.

RifRaf(Posted 2003) [#132]
To me, it looks great as is. Halo is too picky

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#133]
I think it should have LOD setup in it, so we can choose which model to use.

Get cracking Doiron!

:)

RifRaf(Posted 2003) [#134]
To me, it looks great as is.

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#135]
It does, yes (I was joking about the LOD).

Although having multiple polycount models would be useful, especially for helping to future proof your game.

You could use a 750 poly model now, and allow users to increase the poly count simply by changing the model.

That way the funky graphics card they just bought for Doom IV will also help them with your game.

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#136]
All I am saying is make the scope and barrel rounder, and add something on the tip of the muzzle, and make the scope connection a little more detailedm and it will be perfect.

Tracer(Posted 2003) [#137]
I agree with Halo, the model looks a little too "edgy", needs better rounding on the round parts. Any major details will be texturing work anyway.

Tracer

Doiron(Posted 2003) [#138]
I've added some 'arbitrary' detail to the model (which I'm not too proud of), since unfortunely I don't have much more to spend on it:
www.tecnomapper.com/bin/SniperRifleFinalB.zip

But since the model is being released as freeware, let's show some community efforts and let someone finish the job: with proper texturing, I'm sure it would be quite nice.

Maybe even a 'resources' page on this website could be arranged, managed similarly to the gallery page (that is, textures and models checked by the staff before approval). What if every user can see what there is inside the area, but downloads are limited to registered users only? it would definitely add value to the community and blitz sales. And of course only original material should be added, submitted by the authors themselves.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#139]
There's quite a few free Sniper Rifles on TurboSquid as well - Not as good as Doiron's though !

http://www.turbosquid.com/HTMLClient/Search/Index.cfm?FuseAction=ProcessSmartSearch&blKeepCheck=y&intMediaType=-1&intMinPrice=&intMaxPrice=0&dateBeforePub=&dateAfterPub=&stgBoolean=l&istSearchKey=sniper&istExcKey=&istIncAuthor=&istExcAuthor=&intFileType_1=-1&intFileType_2=-1&intFileType_3=-1&fltRating=0&intRatingCount=0

Smurfpuss(Posted 2003) [#140]
well the msg-90 modell looks good

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#141]
This is not that bad (with a small tuning) and it's FREE:

http://www.turbosquid.com/HTMLClient/FullPreview/FullPreview.cfm/ID/199534/Action/FullPreview

slightly over 2K polys (tris), no textures and no .txt file for usage infor or anything (I DL'ed it).

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#142]
Just remembered that I made 4 years ago simple futuristic assault rifle - and even managed to find it after all this time from my HD! I thought that it might be useful even today for someone... it has close to 3K polys, but it also has holes, bevels and very complex barrel muzzle, so it won't be a big job to tidy it up little bit and reduce few polys too.

Totally free for any use or abuse:

http://www.caffeineoverdose.net/zips/mbt.zip

(.LWO & .X versions)

Dave(Posted 2003) [#143]
that thing looks cool musty :-) we need this weapon in game :-)

LostCargo(Posted 2003) [#144]
Halo,
If your provided with the mesh you want, does that mean everyone gets access to the source? or just who provides you with the mesh?

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#145]
When I get what I want, this goes open-source.

Dave(Posted 2003) [#146]
due to the physics engine being integrated into the sing. engine (which is open source) i'll assume that means that until the models requested here are up the standard required you will hold back the release of the sing. update as well? just curious of course...

I've been playing around a bit with CShop today...

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#147]
Yeah, but I think the models will be done before the next version is ready anyways. Either the existing Sniper rifle can be textured and the scope rounded, or there is always the one from Turbosquid.

_PJ_(Posted 2003) [#148]
Goin back to the Physics, I am just curious on a couple of points:

How easy is it to set the mass for objects? (assuming each part would need a separate mass)

LostCargo(Posted 2003) [#149]
Josh,
I bought the mesh/rifle you were looking at, and emailed it to you. (so if anyone else is looking to do the same... dont)
release ze code for us!

Please.

Mousey(Posted 2003) [#150]
Hats off to Baudspeed for using his funds to obtain the model for Halo. :) I also think very highly of Doiron and Tom for putting their time and skill to good use by creating the models that Halo was after.

I look forward to the release of the code that will benefit the whole Blitz community.

granada(Posted 2003) [#151]
maybe you clever guys can do somthing with
this rifle model
http://granadaworld.50megs.com/models/rifle1.zip
its in x format

dave

LostCargo(Posted 2003) [#152]
BTW sorry to doiron and tom. I didnt mean to negate your hard work.

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#153]
Hey, Doiron made an awesome nightvision set, and the rifle would have been great with some texturing work, but I guess this was just easier.

Please note that the physics routines are still being developed. I found I had to change some things when I actually tried to implement it into the game engine, o it is a little different. The soft bodies demo is momentarily broken.

Thanks to all who helped. This was interesting.

You earned it.

Tracer(Posted 2003) [#154]
Very nice Halo, you kept your word. Respect.

Great contribution to the community!

Baudspeed, very generous of you to donate the model to Halo so that the whole community can benifit!

[EDIT] Halo, the code seems to bomb on PointDistance, which i assume is in one of the two DLL's, i tried downloading the decls for these DLL's from your site, but both of those bomb out when Blitz starts.

Tracer

Dave(Posted 2003) [#155]
high impressive halo :) one thing i never fail halo for is keeping to his word, he is for sure the man.

I really hope those ragdoll physics make it into sing. next release....i mean their really impressive!!

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#156]
Uploaded a new one with the userlibs.

RayTracer(Posted 2003) [#157]
Halo ,

image:

download: http://www.code4life.3x.ro/psg.zip

Good work

NTense(Posted 2003) [#158]
Where can we download the code?

Tom(Posted 2003) [#159]
Halo:
"Hey, Doiron made an awesome nightvision set"
*cough* :)

Thanks for the code!

BaudSpeed: Criticism is always welcome, and thanks for getting Halo his gun :)

Tom

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#160]
Wait, was that yours Tom? Sorry dude.

Doiron(Posted 2003) [#161]
BTW sorry to doiron and tom. I didnt mean to negate your hard work.

Thanks to you for having halo release the source: after all, you saved some time to me, and others could still benefit from the model (though untextured) I released.

Oh, and the credits for the original nightvision goggles go to Tom, I just optimized it to fit a lower polycount.

Please note that the physics routines are still being developed. I found I had to change some things when I actually tried to implement it into the game engine, o it is a little different. The soft bodies demo is momentarily broken.

As you explained, I noticed that the demos presented in the original exe are fairly different, but the soft bodies one didn't seem to be the only to have problems: the physics in the ball demo seems to be gone too (the balls didn't bounce), and the ragdoll seems to have some more collision problems (the legs once fall under the room, and the doll always slides visibly). Didn't have the time to 'explore' the source though. Excellent work anyway!

Smurfpuss(Posted 2003) [#162]
hmm like i replased the old physics.bb file with the new one getting error on the

player\physics\player=player line like is there any changes i will have to do my self to the physics code can any one help

Doiron(Posted 2003) [#163]
Hey Ghostdag, that PSG is perfect... did you do it? is it freeware?

Smurfpuss(Posted 2003) [#164]
Doiron can you help me

Smurfpuss(Posted 2003) [#165]
got it working but now my cam is flying like there is no gravity

Doiron(Posted 2003) [#166]
The latest download worked fine with me (except from the 'development bugs' I described above, of course):

extract the http://www.leadwerks.com/physicssource.zip file to a new folder and copy the .dll and .decls file to Blitz3D's "\userlib" directory (avoid to replace single files), then take one of the demos as a reference.

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#167]
There's some temporary problems, but it's stuff that would have come up sooner or later when I introduced it into an actual game.

Smurfpuss(Posted 2003) [#168]
yeah but my char is still flying away in to the sky like there is not gravity it is like walking on the moon

GR(Posted 2003) [#169]
Okay, more than likely I am just an idiot however when I try to run the ball demo I get a 'Funtion Normalize Not Found' error on the line that contains:

Normalize EntityX(cam,1)-EntityX(PickedEntity(),1),EntityY(cam,1)-EntityY(PickedEntity(),1),EntityZ(cam,1)-EntityZ(PickedEntity(),1)

And in most of the other demos, I get the error "Function Pointdistance Not Found"

Not sure what I am doing wrong, I am using B3D 1.83.

Thanks!
Steve

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#170]
You need to download the userlibs from halo's site

www.leadwerks.com/code/userlibs

GR(Posted 2003) [#171]
Thanks. I did that and I assumed I should place them in the userlibs folder in my B3D install folder. Now I get a different error:

Error in userlibs 'maths.decls' - expecting ')' after function decl

And that is all I can read because the requester truncates the text. I looked at both the maths.pb and math.decls files and did not see anything particularly strange. Anybody know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks
Steve

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#172]
see this thread

BlitzSupport(Posted 2003) [#173]
Thanks Halo, and all involved in getting this stuff out!

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#174]
Thank you very much. Feel guilty tho since i haven't contributed anything....:(

Smurfpuss(Posted 2003) [#175]
well got the physic stuff in to the sinularity engine the camera is not falying away any more that is good but have to do some thing about the jumping like wow long distant jumping havent tryid making any physic entitys get but it is at work

Morbius(Posted 2006) [#176]
So where is it?

H&K(Posted 2006) [#177]
You did see the date on these posts didnt you?

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#178]
LOL

markcw(Posted 2006) [#179]
Leadwerks has a new engine now, look here.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=64223

Vorderman(Posted 2006) [#180]
Wow, this must be the oldest ever thread to be brought back from the dead - 3 YEARS OLD!!!!

Weetbix(Posted 2006) [#181]
Vorderman, Start working on SRX again I want another demo! I'll have to bring your thread back to raise attention to it ;)

mrtricks(Posted 2006) [#182]
I just read through nearly all of that before realising how old it was :)

Murphy(Posted 2006) [#183]
ya, me too -.-