The Servant

Community Forums/Showcase/The Servant

ckob(Posted 2003) [#1]
Well I've finally decided to show off what I've been working on every second of my spare time. It is an mmorpg called "The Servant" which is based off a book I am currently writing. I have been working on TS for about 2 years on and off trying many diffrent things learning as I go. I decided to pick back up on it and build a development team. I am currently looking for talented 3d artist to make my buildings and enviroment items (rocks,bush's,misc stuff) please if your intrested or have questions email me. Im posting these screenshots to show what im working on not to recieve negitive criticism thank you.

heres some earlier shots from beta release 1

ckob(Posted 2003) [#2]
Sorry for the last few picture sizes I forgot to size them and im at work

Zmatrix(Posted 2003) [#3]
Lookin pretty good there ckob ,
world seems to be pretty large.
Maybe its only the screenshots but it apears to be only ambient lit?
Ya seem well on your way to a MMorpg.
:)

Zmatrix

Neuro(Posted 2003) [#4]
Wow lots...of pics. Wait a minute...havent we all met before somewhere else?

Zephar123(Posted 2003) [#5]
wow it looks great let me knwo where you need help at. I would love to take a looka t your piece of work.
Silvatech@...
or goto my website that will pop up. I'll give you your own seperate topic in the forum

Giano(Posted 2003) [#6]
Is a FORBIDDEN FOREST remake?
Pictures are very nice...

Ciao
Gianluca

Dave(Posted 2003) [#7]
looking good mate.

ckob(Posted 2003) [#8]
nope as I said its based off a book im writing.

thanks for the good remarks and yes it only uses ambient lighting for the day/night cycle im looking into adding shadows and lightmapping.

the_cre8or(Posted 2003) [#9]
the day/night cycle and the weather system rock. its real easy to get lost in the forest :), and the fps is great :)

ckob(Posted 2003) [#10]
Thanks TC

TC is one of our beta testers since day one :)

the_cre8or(Posted 2003) [#11]
:)

ckob(Posted 2003) [#12]
Im told that some people downloaded the open beta and cant connect to the main server. make sure you download the patch after you have downloaded the full game or else it wont connect :)

AndyBoy_UK(Posted 2003) [#13]
I downloaded the OB and it is amazing (well not on my system) i was getting 8fps for most of the time but I am running a GF 2 MX with 32mb. Can you chuck in an option to tone down the resolution (for slow cards like mine).

But that isnt your fault ckob.

On the upside I was in a forest and then found a pier thing off a hill with a well, then found a massive castle.. Excellent fun (although I was on my own). Very fast loading times .. top respect there and it had a good feel about it.

I did notice that the sky seemed to jump around for me a little is that normal. If I stood still it was like flickering a bit.. Maybe its my gfx card just not being good enough..

Fantastic work ckob. Its come a long way from the blitzPub that you started and it is looking great.

ckob(Posted 2003) [#14]
thanks andy I have had a couple complaints about the display mode lol i guess ill have to add a selector because some people dont like the 1024 X 768 @ 32 bit defualt size I guess it is a bit high, So yes Ill add in a screen mode selector in the next update.

ckob(Posted 2003) [#15]
ok I've added the whole display selection screen and I cheated for now by using the one that comes with blitz

Zenith(Posted 2003) [#16]
rofl ckob, it so hasn't been 2 years ;)

ckob(Posted 2003) [#17]
yeah it has :/ it has changed alot tho if u look in my worklog you'll see the dates

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2003) [#18]
yeah I like a lot..

cant wait to see it all finished.

the_cre8or(Posted 2003) [#19]
it has changed alot since the first beta, at the time it had a small village, and about 3-4 trees AFAIK

JoJo(Posted 2003) [#20]
Well I have had some trouble. About 30 secs into the program it crashed. The graphics didn't display well at all.
According to Microsoft's Crash Analysis, they said it could be a graphics problem. That maybe true. I'm running an ATI 128 pro with 16mb of memory.

I will see if ATI has updated drivers and get back with you.

Specs:
PIII 550mhz
191MB ram
ATI 128 pro 16mb
DirectX 9.1

ckob(Posted 2003) [#21]
yeah ive had some problems with this the current display mode is 1024 X 768 so I guess alot of people are having problems with it. I have added a new display mode selector so Ill upload it asap. Also if you have any problems please email me instead of taking up forum space.

mattlavoice@...

eBusiness(Posted 2003) [#22]
Seems interesting, if you want me to mess around with some of it, give me a job. (I'm not that experienced yet in model creation, but want to learn it.)

eBusiness(Posted 2003) [#23]
Have this game got any economical scedule? (Or is it supposed to be freeware?)

Dock(Posted 2003) [#24]
I had problems running this.

The first demo would hang just after entering name.
With the patch, it gets to the game but fall through the floor upon initialisation of the level. :(

Wiebo(Posted 2003) [#25]
Dock: I had the same problem

ckob(Posted 2003) [#26]
yeah if you fall through the ground just move a little forward and let it fall, It should throw u back up onto the terrain.

ckob(Posted 2003) [#27]
If you test the game and want to report a bug email me or go here
http://www.binary-people.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=4d1faff1314c7ec26130efcc99454ff0

the forum is for the Servant and any questions will be answered alot faster then they are here.

ckob(Posted 2003) [#28]
SOME MORE SHOTS

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#29]
That looks very impressive. Nice work!!

ckob(Posted 2003) [#30]
thanks

the_cre8or(Posted 2003) [#31]
those new npc's look good :)

ckob(Posted 2003) [#32]
yeah there from the dark matter cd my character artist nibby is making some mean looking enemies for everyone to fightas we speak so im looking forward to fighting with them.

c5ven(Posted 2003) [#33]
interesting that it's based on a book you're writing. tell us more.

ckob(Posted 2003) [#34]
what more can I tell :P I will be posting the book on the webpage as soon as I finish typing out the book as I didnt type it from start i hand wrote it all.

c5ven(Posted 2003) [#35]
based on mythology? Homeric epics? simple fantasy? historical?

single novel? trilogy?

serializing it on the web?

i've been working on integrating a number of media together. of course, story is the backbone. hence my interest.

ckob(Posted 2003) [#36]
well I dont plan on putting the story to a finish so im already thinking of starting on another book i dont wanna do a trilogy but maybe four or five diffrent books

ckob(Posted 2003) [#37]
im still in need of a 3d modeller for the buildings and enviroments if anyone is willing to help email me