WIP Soldier Bloke [Critique]

Community Forums/Showcase/WIP Soldier Bloke [Critique]

Klapster(Posted 2003) [#1]
What do you guys think before I go any further?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#2]
Nice one. 3dsmax? ok, I think people are all too much influenced by the quake style: I am talking about "moonboots". Anyway, well done.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#3]
Pretty good. If this is meant to be realistic the proportions are way off however. For example, his legs are really short. Obviously if it is not meant to be realistic then you can use whatever proportions you want.

Also, it looks odd to me the way his chest is sunk in. I would divide the edge down the middle of his chest and pull out the new vertex in order to shape the chest better.

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#4]
I think his hips need to be bigger. They look like they snap carrying those huge boots around all day. I also second Joe's opinion that his legs should be longer.

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#5]
heads too smalland needs lot more shaping in my opinion and you may need more polys around the knees. also the thing in betweeen his legs( ooer missus) might be a pain when you get around to animating it.

Klapster(Posted 2003) [#6]
Thanks for the feedback guys, the help is appreciated. I've taken all of your suggestions on board and I'll release a updated render when I'm done sorting him out.

Klapster(Posted 2003) [#7]
==New Render==

I've improved the body loads and added more detail to the head and back. I've got rid of the legs because I was not at all happy about the legs in the first one. I'm going to make his legs less quake-ey and give them a lot more definition. What do you guys reckon?

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#8]
I think you need to find better reference. check out body bulding photos, human anatomical reference, makes life much easier

ErikT(Posted 2003) [#9]
The head looks a bit small, maybe. Give yourself a present and go get a book on anatomy or even better on drawing humans. Lots of guidelines there no character artist should be without.

Polygon distribution is very good.

Klapster(Posted 2003) [#10]
Ah y'see I didn't use a reference image at all, just loaded up 3dsmax one day and started on him.

I'll try getting a bit of reference material and get the proportions more accurate. Thanks for the advice :)

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#11]
poser is handy for generating reference pics

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#12]
I usd to work that way Klapster and it took sooo much lomger to get to a good standard. its good practice to do some concept sketches too. I am not much of a sketcher personally, but it can help in sorting otu proportion issues before you even touch 3dsmax