EPS 2 (Eole Particules System 2) is out . . .

Community Forums/Showcase/EPS 2 (Eole Particules System 2) is out . . .

Eole(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi

The EPS 2 es finished, you can download it here :
http://n-eole.chez.tiscali.fr/EPS2.htm

There is some exemple of setting that you can load into the gui in the folder preset . . .

All the source code are include

I hope, you will like it, and if you make something with it, just put my name in your credits

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2003) [#2]
Excellent

I had a play around with the demo and thought it was very powerfull, I will have a go on this and see what I can do :)

Thanks for this, I am sure everyone will appreciate it!

Dave(Posted 2003) [#3]
this is one of the best open source utilitys for blitz available, this truelly is usful and some excellent code also contained within.

Massive respect to yourself Eole! You should add a donation link on your website, alot of people are going to find this usful. Keep up the excellent work!

R0B0T0(Posted 2003) [#4]
Nice Work! There have been some great contributions to the community lately, and this is definitely a useful one.

Thanks!

Eole(Posted 2003) [#5]
Thank,

Murphy(Posted 2003) [#6]
omg. this is genius!!! thank you very much!!!

btw. a EPS.decls would be great... :)

but anyway - THANK YOU!!!

Neuro(Posted 2003) [#7]
Wow...really nice piece of work. Is it possible to save particle to souce file?

Eole(Posted 2003) [#8]
Yes, click on Source code button, it's generated the init of you emitter, but not the texture informations (there is comment in the source code who is generated.

And you can save you setting, to work on it later by click on Save, and Load it with Open

GfK(Posted 2003) [#9]
Looks good. I do wish you'd spell PARTICLE correctly though! :)

dangerdave(Posted 2003) [#10]
DLing and will try soon.
Looks great!!

ckob(Posted 2003) [#11]
wow this is the best thing ive seen open source in blitz my hats down to you.

semar(Posted 2003) [#12]
Looks very useful - I'm going to try it..

It seems to me, one of the Most Useful Tool so far.

Thanks a lot Eole, respect and congratulation for such a great application !

:-)

Sergio.

Giano(Posted 2003) [#13]
May be now a new era starts...
The blitz community thanks you

Just a question....
Watching the code...seems very similar to another old project (of mine) PSYS the particle system that I realize about 2 years ago.
Did we have the same way of thinking in programming ?
Is it a coincidence?
Or I'm too much suspicious?

Grazie, ciao
Gianluca

Eole(Posted 2003) [#14]
It s just a coincindence and you re too much suspicious lol , the EPS is base on a free particule engine find on GameDEV and i have add a lot of feature

This is the link to the original source code in C++
www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1043.asp

Giano(Posted 2003) [#15]
Ok...I've used a gamedev article for mine, probably like your...thanks and sorry..
Btw your work is awesome in any case...
Ciao
Gianluca

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#16]
This is very cool. Lots of fun to be had just playing with the settings on this. Thanks heaps for all the hard work.

rhuk(Posted 2003) [#17]
Wow, this is an amazing bit of programming. My hat is off to you! I'll be using this for sure!

Koriolis(Posted 2003) [#18]
I still must test it more toroughly, but from what I've seen this is simply excellent.
Congratulations, and thanks for this great peace of work.

AndyBoy_UK(Posted 2003) [#19]
Is that your own gui as well? THis looks like fun, will be downloading it tonight when I get back home from work :)

Eole(Posted 2003) [#20]
Th GUi is the BCF 2, who have developped by Filax and me, you can download it, see the new on the home page

Koriolis(Posted 2003) [#21]
Au fait Eole, comme tu sembles avoir loupé les allusions des autres, en angais c'est "particle", pas "particule". Ou alors c'est pour t'imposer en tant que petit frenchie ;p ?

smilertoo(Posted 2003) [#22]
very nice program, i think i'll add little sparkly things to everything now just for the sake of it.

Eole(Posted 2003) [#23]
Mon aglais n'est vraiment pas bon :-), j'avais pas fait attention, c'est la petite note frenchie ...lol

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#24]
Nice work - congratulations! - now where did I put my French dictionary... :)

Small improvement ideas to make it even more user friendly:

-remember where (from what directory) particles were loaded (when loading)
-remember what is the filename for loaded particle (when saving)
-confirmation dialog box if I REALLY want to overwrite my masterpiece that has the same name I just typed (when saving)... :)

techjunkie(Posted 2003) [#25]
GREAT!!! :-)

A warning though... It's addictive... *lol* I played around with EPS 2 for hours, left it - but had to go back...

Now we can do some serious particle stuff...

A GREAT piece of work!!!

Thanks!!

AndyBoy_UK(Posted 2003) [#26]
This is fantastic fun to play with, Im very impressed, excellent work there Eole :) and many thanks

RetroBooster(Posted 2003) [#27]
First of all Eole, great work on the user friendlyness on your particle system, it may not have ALL the features for full particle effects coverage (attraction, emitter on death, meshform emitters, etc.), but it's editor is a great tool for making effects! You should realy concider making an emitter/particle library dataformat to save to though so all your emitters can be loaded into the game without using generated source, it's a lot cleaner and you don't need source access for editing. I'm personaly stricking to my own system (since it has more features) but I'm definately gonna have to make a full graphical editor for it now. ;)

Again, nice job, very smooth and reliable editor.

Eole(Posted 2003) [#28]
In the first release of EPS, I make attraction . . . I implement it in a next release . .

Can you give me a detailed list of the missing functionalities.

I can try to implement it . ..

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#29]
Here's two things I'd like to have (plus the fixes I mentioned above):

-.TGA image support (for example 256*1 pixels (width/height)) for alpha, so that I could do "alpha curves" instead of two linear values (start/end)

-.TGA image support (for example 256*1 pixels (width/height)) for particle color change (during it's lifetime) so that I could make "yellow/white meteorite flames that turn into black smoke" using just one particle bitmap that I just color differently depending how "old" the particle is

-Better usability - for loading the created/saved particle effects to our own applications... "generate source" button and it's output is pretty cryptic and it does not even generate instantly runnable full code, so...

popcade(Posted 2003) [#30]
It's the greatest particle Engine(with GUI) for Blitz I've seen.

However I have some problem to compile the source code, the new BCF made many change on it's params, and modifying the source will take a lot of time.

Would yo mind providing the BCF include file the version you're using to compile Eole2? Thanks!

Eole(Posted 2003) [#31]
:-)

The GUI use the next version of the BCF, that we have released with Filax.

This release of the BCF will be soon on line . . .

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2003) [#32]
Hi Eole,

I am having problems running your system on my two machines. The issue is that I can not see any particles or the axis pointers. I have had this problem before in other applications and I belive it is because you have the Flip flag set to False. Could you upload another version please??

My GFX cards are Matrox G400Max and ATI Mobility M3

Physt(Posted 2003) [#33]
I can see the axis pointer but not the particles. I can change the blend mode and get black particles. Happens on both of my machines also. I assume it's some blend mode my cards can't support.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2003) [#34]
Hmmnm just tried that and could only get black particles as well. What's going on???

NTense(Posted 2003) [#35]
I've been playing with it a bit, and I think it's fantastic. I haven't been successful in importing any of my particle emmiters into my progs though. :( .. I exported the .bb source, replaced the appropriate values, but nothing happens.. Do I need to call something else?

Eole(Posted 2003) [#36]
Make sur, you have a call at the update function . . .

Your code must be like this

Global Time_Passed#
Global Old_Time

; the init
gE_IdEmitter = EPS_Init_Emitter( . . . )
EPS_Init_Particule( gE_IdEmitter, . . .
EPS_Init_ParticuleColor( . . . )

Old_Time = millisecs()
while not keyhit(1)
Time_Machine()

EPS_update( time_passed# )

renderworld()
flip()

wend

Function Time_Machine()

Time_Passed# = MilliSecs() - Old_Time
Time_Passed# = Time_Passed# / 1000
Old_Time=MilliSecs()

End Function

If it isn't work, send me you exporting emitter setting . . . May be there is a bug in the export . . .

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#37]
Excellent work - Great GUI - Many Thanks !

NTense(Posted 2003) [#38]
Thanks Eole, will give it a run.

AuzingLG(Posted 2003) [#39]
Thanks! I hope it is ok, that I use it in a game, that will be maybe commercial.

Rob Pearmain(Posted 2003) [#40]
This is excellent, but there was a major bug if you tried to use more than one emitter that fired particles simultaneously then only one emitter fired.

To fix it

comment out

;Global EPS_EmitterTimer

Add to the emitter type:
Field eps_emittertimer

In EPS_Update_Emitter change the code to
		; GEstion du timer d'emission
		If (e\Emitting_Timer>0 And EPS_TimeOut(e\EPS_EmitterTimer))  Then

If e\Kill_Emitter = True Then
				nb_create_particule = 0
			Else
				nb_create_particule = e\particule_seconde# / 2

EndIf
			e\EPS_EmitterTimer=EPS_SetTimer( e\Emitting_Timer * 1000 )

Else If e\Emitting_Timer>0 Then
			Return
		EndIf

And all works fantastic

EXCELLENT WORK !!!!

Eole(Posted 2003) [#41]
Thank a lot . . .

Rob Pearmain(Posted 2003) [#42]
Just a couple ideas of additions for the next editor:

1. Remember the last directory to opened or saved to
2. Include loads of PRESETS for people like me who dont know what they're doing

This is SO good though, am I ok to use it for a commercial game?

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#43]
There's another major bug when using more than 1 emitter
The EPS_update_emitter function has the line

IF e\stop_particule THEN EXIT

This is inside a loop For e.EPS_Emitter = Each EPS_Emitter
and so if an emitter has the e\stop_particule set to TRUE the program will exit the loop and no further emitters will be updated.

This can be corrected using a GOTO instead of the EXIT (not very elegant) and place the label right before the NEXT so the next emitter is processed or you can seperate the function in a IF...ELSE structure.

Many Thanks once again for this excellent particle system.
I'm currently writing a Quill3d tutorial that will explain how to implement this in Quill3d and how to integrate this and other custom entities into Quill3d's Viz system. Should be up in the next couple of days.

Cheers
Smiff

Eole(Posted 2003) [#44]
Thank to use it, I will try to make a release with bug fixed . . .

Rob Pearmain(Posted 2003) [#45]
Also, here is a fix to free up memory left by runaway types when deleting an emitter

Delete e\wind
			Delete e\color_start
			Delete e\color_delta
			Delete e\color_end

Eole(Posted 2003) [#46]
Thank a lot

Jeroen(Posted 2003) [#47]
Thanks a lot.
Very good work, professional stuff man!