Harmony Blocks Demo

Community Forums/Showcase/Harmony Blocks Demo

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi

Harmony blocks is just about done so I have decided to post a demo for you guys to play

http://www.fire-bat-software.co.uk/hb_demo.zip [5 meg]

Instructions:
Its like Mahjongg / Shanghai solitaire. Match 2 blocks that are the same, they must both have a free side (left/right) and have no blocks on top of them.

Keys:

TAB - skip music track
Hold Right Mouse BTN to rotate the camera

If you want music, stick some mp3s in the music folder.

Still a few things to do, but It is basically finished.

Kinda funky that its finished on my Birthday =)

Dave(Posted 2003) [#2]
i'm still searching about on the ground for my jaw John :-) this game is HIGHELY polished, truelly professional looking, i mean soon as i seen the menu it shined with a kind of nintendo like profession, clean graphics, excellent textures (a grass texture that wouldn't look out of place in pikmin).

The gameplay is intresting, i actually started writing a 2D version of the exact same game in VB. I assume this game is commmercial? When will it be released?

Dave(Posted 2003) [#3]
also happy birthday mate! And quick question (i'm probably wrong though), but are those grass textures out of my texture pack as they seem similar, same as the grit one...probably just me though...

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2003) [#4]
Thanks Dave

I am not sure its Nintendo good tho :)

nah the textures are self made, photographed with my digi cam and made tileable with a cool plugin for photoshop.

[EDIT]
----------------------------------------------------------
Actually Dave it's been so long since I did the play area for this game I forget if I did make that texture or get it from somewhere!

Post your grass pic and ill have a look :) I tried to d/load the texture pack to make sure, but its a 404 error.
----------------------------------------------------------

Mahjongg has always been a favourite of mine, so making a game like this wasnt hard or boring, doing what you like is always good :)

Idigicon should be selling it soon, they made an offer, i couldnt refuse, just like all those Jedi that joined the sith in Knights of the old republic, im ranting now :P

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#5]
That game is looking real good, almost like a photografed Picture.

eBusiness(Posted 2003) [#6]
That's a nice game, but ain't there supposed to be some kind of punishment for shuffeling?

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2003) [#7]
Nah I decided against that.

This is a game you play to enjoy, and enjoy the feeling of winning.

I suppose a 1 or 2 second penalty wouldnt matter much, anyone else have any thoughts on this?

eBusiness(Posted 2003) [#8]
What is the enjoyment of winning if you can't loose. Also, when you can just shuffle, without a punishment, there isn't really any reason to think about what moves will make you need to shuffle.

If you have a 30 sec penalty for shuffeling, you can still always "win", but if you try to hit the record you will have to be carefull.

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#9]
I like it. :)

I've found a bug though, the zoom function is not limited when you use the scroll wheel (i.e. you can zoom out indefinitely), and when you try to zoom in again, it stops you from going all the way back.

It works fine when you use the cursor keys

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2003) [#10]
Cheers Perturbatio :)

That is an old bit of test code, must have left it in there!
I'll get that sorted.