SUAVE beta now available!

Community Forums/Showcase/SUAVE beta now available!

Al Mackey(Posted 2003) [#1]
After many months of hard work, I've finally got something to show for it! I've made a preliminary beta of my game in progress, SUAVE (Sport-Utility Assault Vehicle Extreme). This game is designed to appeal to people who like to blow things up. Enjoy!

Download here: http://www.blinken.com/suave.html

darklordz(Posted 2003) [#2]
ur particle system looks nice....
I am learning how to make spawn effects.....

all i can say is impressive.

BTW the ligtning effects how do u create em. Im guessing sprites?

Bouncer(Posted 2003) [#3]
Just played it. Its really awesome! Allthough it runs too fast. All the effects are top class. And the "AI" seems fine.

The controls are a bit confusing, but I think you get used to them pretty soon.

Great work!

EDIT: btw. I have the same question as darklordz... how do you make those lightning bolts from teslacoil.

Bouncer(Posted 2003) [#4]
Just played it. Its really awesome! Allthough it runs too fast. All the effects are top class. And the "AI" seems fine.

The controls are a bit confusing, but I think you get used to them pretty soon.

Great work!

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#5]
Great stuff! Nicely presented, if a little rough around the edges... Only thing is it's running much too fast on my machine, so you should probably start looking into frame limitting before it's too late!

Fredborg

Pete Rigz(Posted 2003) [#6]
Really nice looking game so far! I like the particle effects. I found the gameplay very simple and straight forward, very much like doom with a tank!

I dont think the game is too fast though, I assume its design as opposed to lack of frame limitting because there is the bullet time feature which is very cool. BTW the game froze when i used this as soon as I let go of space, ill test it some more tho.

The controls - not intuitive to start with and hard to get used to. Having such a heavy FPS background I always think my thoughts are bias when it comes to this, but.. The turret definately needs to move completely independantly from the base. At the moment when you turn with keys the turret turns too which totally throws your aim. So if the keys don't effect the turret at all this would help.

What might be even better is to go even further down the fps route and make it so the turn keys straf instead. When u straf the base would turn at right angles to the direction your turret is facing and when you move forward the base would line up with the turret so u can turn and steer around the map. I don't think it would hurt to atleast include these as optional controls atleast.

Great stuff so far!

darklordz(Posted 2003) [#7]
I Played it again and it indeed runs fast it still amazez me the fx are great. I've been wanting to create these "spwning effects" for ages. Posted it a couple of times butnobody seems to know..... Aarrrgg, i can't imagine how u did this but id sure like toknow....

Wiebo(Posted 2003) [#8]
Very cool. It would be nice if forward would just be forward, no matter which way I look... But great stuff!

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#9]
Played it again, and... The top view is great once you learn how to switch between the control styles, but it makes the game quite a bit easier as you can see where there is hidden stuff. It might be a good idea to do some sort of occlusion, so that you can't 'see through' walls when using the top view. The game might not be running too fast, but the explosions seem too fast (in my opinion)...

Ohh, yeah I completed the level :) Forgot the score though...

Fredborg

Al Mackey(Posted 2003) [#10]
Thanks guys!

The Tesla sparks are meshes that get their vertices' positions and UVs modified every frame. There's eight pairs of vertices along the length, with tris chained between them. The six pairs in the middle shift around to high-frequency sin functions on each axis.

I'm not sure what DarkLordZ means about "spawn effects"..

As for speed, there's no frame limiter, but it does adjust the rate at which things happen based on MilliSecs() over cycles. This has made the game fairly consistant across most systems I've tried it on.

Strafing would, of course, be impossible in a tank.. It didn't take my alpha testers long to learn to hold the turret perpendicular to the tank when there's danger and strafe with forwards and backwards.

dangerdave(Posted 2003) [#11]
Absolutely amazing!
The dark areas are awesome!

darklordz(Posted 2003) [#12]
What meant with spawning...

When the player is generated you get an effect (spawn).

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#13]
Good fun this. Well done.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2003) [#14]
That's very cool indeed. My only whines would be that it turns and drives too fast to be comfortably controllable, and it feels like it might be better if the tank body rotated to match the turret when you push forward, and then moved forward (alternatively, have the turret stay still when the body turns)...?

Got a nice feel, though, and the chained barrel explosions rock!

coffeedotbean(Posted 2003) [#15]
Top stuff. Nothing like mindless blasting. When will this be released?

Will it have an Editor?

Reminds me of the old 3D Arcade machines for some reason.

Caff(Posted 2003) [#16]
Yeah I enjoyed that, impressive effects! I enjoyed being able to blow the walls up too. Would be good to have some varied floor/wall textures too.

Ziltch(Posted 2003) [#17]
I liked it.
Had no problems with Speed/controls.
You have a great game, very slick.

dynaman(Posted 2003) [#18]
I liked it. Made me seasick (which no other game has done yet but I'm getting older...)

Any chance of slowing it down for us old geezers?

Very nice polish, I loved the Vulcan Cannon and the Tesla Cannon.