Package of Animations

Community Forums/Showcase/Package of Animations

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#1]
http://www.leadwerks.com/anims.zip (132 kb, .3ds format)

I have a few more done now. This contains 5 animations and 10 poses. The arms don't move in many of the animations, because they use the poses for the upper body animation.

Animations are breathe, walk, run, strafe, and jump. I am particularly happy with how the strafe animation came out, as it was very difficult to make, and looks great.

Feel free to improve or add to these.

Zephar123(Posted 2003) [#2]
halo first off let me say we all appreciate your work on cshop and im glad i bought it in version 2. Its one of the very few tools im feel i got my money worth. I really did nto liek version two, but giving 3 away free to version 2 owners really made up for it. maybe you could email me or somethign i cant seem to figure out how to label a mesh as an entity. Basically i want to make buttons that have to be click on in the level.

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#3]
Josh - have you seen this?

http://www.blitzbasic.com/bbs/posts.php?topic=24381

The publicity hasn't been great but its a max exporter that supports bones (as well as nearly every other b3d format feature)

The animations are pretty good. The strafe especially. The run is rather wooden (the hips should move), and the breath is rather unatural - personally I rarely stand upright with my arms at my sides and feet together. The stance should be more natural perhaps with the characters looking around or something.

That's my opnion anyway :)

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#4]
The breathing is actually an animation that gets blended in on top of whatever animation is running.

Ben, the problem I find with CS is that it rescales and reorients the bones. I like to have all the limbs oriented to 0,0,0 when the character is standing straight up.

Also, if you have a mesh on top of that, it just makes it even harder to use the anims for anything else. In my experience, models rarely turn out the way the animator intended them to. What I am trying to do is create a set of animations that a mesh can then be weighed to. I might weigh the mesh with a custom program...it really isn't that big of a deal to do, definitely feasible.

Since it appears damn near impossible for anyone to make a character model I am taking the matter into my own hands. I know the way modeling is supposed to work, and that it's theoretically possible, but the fact is it just isn't happening.

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#5]
I can model and texture. I just can't animate (at least not well) - that's why I never bothered offering to do any work for you when you were looking for models before.

Have a look at the gallery on my website to see some of my more recent samples (I have a couple of things to add).

Weighted animated meshes would be loverly though. I just wish Mark would realise this.

BTW that b3d pipeline thing doesn't use character studio. You can use the biped but don't have to. For now its the best i have seen and is what I intend to use in the future.

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#6]
It's perfectly possible to do weighted vertices. I might as well, since I probably won't end up using standard Blitz bones.

If you're interested, why not try weighing a character mesh onto this skeleton? You could segment the model into parts corresponding to the limb names, and I could make it so that vertices on adjacent limbs get locked together.