another 3d demo.

Community Forums/Showcase/another 3d demo.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#1]
New Link has self-extracting instead.
here's another 3d demo of my planned 3d platformer/rpg/action adventure game :)

www.zen27149.zen.co.uk\GameTest.exe
www.zen27149.zen.co.uk\GameTest.rar
www.zen27149.zen.co.uk\GameTest.zip

still just a demo of my character controls.

ps if anyone is interested in starting a project with me or working on one which falls into one of the above genres wether you be a coder, artist or musician etc mail me.
I really want to do a full blown game but on my own find it to hard to do everything.

skn3(Posted 2003) [#2]
Try checking your zip files before uploading.
Memory access error

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#3]
i did and i just downloaded it again and it works.
did you keep the file structure when you extracted?

ckob(Posted 2003) [#4]
i had no problems either try being a little nicer

Odds On(Posted 2003) [#5]
I like that camera/character control combination in games, but I'm used to the camera turning the right way and not inverted so I hope you add the option to change it :)

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#6]
link seems to be down right now sinu

GfK(Posted 2003) [#7]
Its working now - Zen user webspace has been a bit wobbly for the last hour or so - my site's been down too.

Hard to say if the control system is good or not - the camera spins relentlessly like it did in the last version... :(

You need to allow for a 'dead zone' on connected joysticks, because they're rarely at X=0, Y=0, so maybe don't do anything if Abs(JoyX()) or abs(JoyY()) is less than 0.1?

(I've got 3 joysticks connected and I can't be bothered climbing behind my PC to unplug 'em!)

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#8]
Doh! Me no likey RAR files. Maybe you should post the demo as a zip file. Then again, maybe I'm the only one for whom it makes a difference.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#9]
@Gfk, if pad# doesn't have joyroll/pitch then that's what is causing the spinning, has nothing to do with the joyx/joyy, need to fix it but just remove the pads to fix for now(unless you don't wanna :)).
I'll up a .zip but rar is so much nicer and gives better compression.

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#10]
I'll up a .zip but rar is so much nicer and gives better compression.

So make it self-extracting. Then no one needs the right extractor and you get the compression you want.

GfK(Posted 2003) [#11]
Doh! Me no likey RAR files. Maybe you should post the demo as a zip file. Then again, maybe I'm the only one for whom it makes a difference.
O.T. - I don't like .rar files either, but I tolerate them simply because so many people insist on using them.

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#12]
I just don't bother downloading RARs

Zo Zo Zee Zar(Posted 2003) [#13]
Please do a zip :)
I'm afraid I'm in the "we don't like RAR" gang.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#14]
here's the new link, nevewr though of self-extracting but then again some people don't like downloading exe files :P

www.zen27149.zen.co.uk\GameTest.exe
www.zen27149.zen.co.uk\GameTest.rar
www.zen27149.zen.co.uk\GameTest.zip

BlitzSupport(Posted 2003) [#15]
The zip is 404'd here. I don't download RARs either, since they (presumably) keep fiddlng with the format, so whatever version of WinRAR/whatever you use is always out of date and they don't unpack... grrr... besides which, hardly anyone has WinRAR installed. Everybody has a zip unpacker! Oops, ranting now...

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#16]
I got an amazing framerate of 1000 fps. Hehe if only Unreal was that fast. i found the controls a little frustrating on the keyboard. i suppose I am just used to using the arrow keys and a,z

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#17]
I mentioned this in the xlnt thread but I use quickzip. It unpacks rars no problem (and it's free). http://qzip.cjb.net/

I think the keyboard controls suck but if I plug my joypad in the camera spins round and round. Also why did you turn off mip-mapping. Are you going for the DarkBASIC look?

I still don't see anything special in this. I have a nie smooth camera routine that does everything this appears to do and the amount of code is tiny.