FPS Screenies

Community Forums/Showcase/FPS Screenies

Zo Zo Zee Zar(Posted 2003) [#1]
Been doing some tests for my next game, thought I would get some feedback - please bare in mind these are only me having a play around with ideas at the moment.

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#2]
Sexy.

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2003) [#3]
Nice one!

Richard Betson(Posted 2003) [#4]
Nice ;)

How are they rendered?

L8r,

JustLuke(Posted 2003) [#5]
Great stuff! Really great stuff!

I once wrote a game design for a FPS called "Wonka" (I never made the game, I only wrote it because I went through a phase where I enjoyed writing game designs). It was a spin on "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory".

It took place in a dark, distopian, alternate britain - sort of a cross betwee4n George Orwell's 1984 (if you haven't read the novel then maybe you've seen the movie?) and Terry Gilliam's Brazil.

Wonka owned a factory that provided tasty "meat" pies for the downtrodden population. Every year, "lucky" children would be given a golden ticket and invited (forced) to take a tour of his factory. They'd never be seen again.

The player would play a female, baby-faced assassin who takes the place of one of the children on Wonka's latest tour. The aim was to make it through the factory, discover the truth about Wonka's tasty pies and kill him.

I only mention this because those first two images really envoke the look and feel that I had in mind for Wonka's factory.

Zo Zo Zee Zar(Posted 2003) [#6]
How are they rendered?

Apart from the last one - in Blitz :)

Lemort - Wonka sounds a corker! I really enjoyed reading your post :)

Now I am thinking of pies and chocolate for some reason...mmmm...off to raid the fridge :)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2003) [#7]
ooooOOOOO... yew, they are quite seductive looking screenshots.

you got a storyline worked out yet?

--Mike

AuzingLG(Posted 2003) [#8]
Nice. but the last one is not so good.

Winnebag0(Posted 2003) [#9]
I like them all, very sharp. Be looking foreward to this.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#10]
them shots look top class exept the last one which is rendered and looks abit shiny.

JaviCervera(Posted 2003) [#11]
you got a storyline worked out yet?
Who cares? It's an FPS! (j/k) lol

Foppy(Posted 2003) [#12]
Nice pictures BUT... erm... Oh yeah now I remember, I think that besides playing around with these pictures you should also play around with ideas about what the game is going to be like. Well you probably are, but just to make sure!

A story is really important. And how will the player look, for instance wouldn't it be funny to have a non-human player character for a change, like a dog or a robot spider. (A robot spider like the one in the classic "Arac" game (maybe also called "Spider Bot") where you could walk upside down on the ceiling.) Or like I said, a dog. The dog could collect other dogs along the way (through barking) to form a group of dogs (and cats too), trying to escape from some evil animal-testing laboratory. Because of recent experiments the dogs have developed laser eyes (OK I admit you need *some* classical FPS elements hahahaha) and the cats can see in the dark and jump from very high places, and climb in certain things like curtains.

Or the player could be be a fly. And all enemies are also flies and other insects. So while the world is just a normal human-inhabited surrounding like in your pictures (corridors, rooms etc) the gameplay centers on these insects. You would be zooming across those corridors (full 3D movement as you are flying) firing at some bumble bee that is also firing back at you. You get hit and have to make a run for it so you escape through a keyhole or an air-duct. There could also be people walking around (looking like giants!) but they wouldn't be directly related to the battle except that they could squash you by accident or on purpose. And you could land on their heads!

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#13]
i expect ravey to come up with something cool, like with his past stuff

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#14]
Lemort - Brazil was based on 1984. In fact the two films were due for release at about the same time, so Brazil was held back a year.

The big difference between the films (apart from the humour) is the political backdrop. Brazil is set in a capitalist society, 1984 distinctly not. But, the message is roughly the same.

Brazil is part of a (loose) trilogy including: Time Bandits and Baron Munchausen.

Dave(Posted 2003) [#15]
this looks amazing mate! Those first two shots are very cool.

Zo Zo Zee Zar(Posted 2003) [#16]
thank u thexthy

Zo Zo Zee Zar(Posted 2003) [#17]
Av Man :)

Thanks for the comments. As I said I'm only playing around with ideas at the moment - this is only a couple of afternoons fiddling around so far. Saying that, I quite like the look even in this early stage, and as you said - it is a radical departure from my usual "fluffy bunny" look which is quite refreshing for me.

I checked out your site - like the flash menus btw. I do like that human model - very nice. I have some more messing around to do yet, but if I decide to take this route (root?) then I'll give you a shout :)

Thanks for the generous offer :)