Test my Booty

Community Forums/Showcase/Test my Booty

Algo(Posted 2003) [#1]
I've decided to release a very early alpha version of my current game Booty, there's a short description in the gallery.

The graphics and animation aren't finished yet, so I’m not really looking for comments on that just yet, but what I am interested in is how it plays, does the AI behave properly, get stuck, how do you find the controls, what do you like/dislike, did it run nicely on your old crappy PC or did it crawl on your top-spec one, or make it explode, those sorts of things. I purposely haven’t included what the controls are or how to play just to see how easy it is to pick up without knowing anything about it.

So if you've got a spare five minutes could you give a test.

Download - 1.36mb

Uncle(Posted 2003) [#2]
It ran well on my crappy PII 450. I got around 56FPS. The AI was good, except there was no end to the game. I found the treasure but the game kept going (Unless there was 2 treasure chests?) Overall it looked good, and played well. I liked the pirates swimming stroke (very similar to my own swimming capabilities).

The only other very minor comment I would make is sometimes you had to reposition the pirate slightly to get him to dig where he was standing.

Good work so far though. I shall look forward to the finished version. What might be cool though is if the pirates left foot prints in the sand as they ran all over the place?

Cheers,

Unc

Algo(Posted 2003) [#3]
Thanks Uncle,

Yeah there's no end to the demo, the other pirates should just keep digging until they've run out of space.

I know what you mean about the repositioning, you actually dig the space slightly in front so the digging animation digs the right spot, but it's probably more intuitive to dig the spot your standing on.

Shadows, footprints, water ripples/splashes are all in the works. :)

Winnebag0(Posted 2003) [#4]
Looks good, I found all the keys(i think, run and dig). Nice AI and everything. Keep it up, I also will look foreward to the release.

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#5]
Ran fine on my not completly crappy AMD1300 + matrox g400. 42 FPS.

I was assuming the arrows pointed towards the treasure, but of course there wasn't any. :)

It has a nice feel about it. Only really let down by positioning issues.

Algo(Posted 2003) [#6]
Winnebab0, yep those are the only keys.

MasterBeaker, there is a treasure and coins surrounding it. If you watch the AI, if they find coins they *should* start only digging close by.

The arrows only point in the general direction of the treasure ie north/east/south/west.

Simian(Posted 2003) [#7]
Nice game ALG, it kinda reminds me of Logger.

I don't know if it's too late for any gameplay suggestions but it might be fun to have some means of interfering with other pirates' treasure hunting efforts.

Perhaps there could be one-shot pistols buried on the island that the player (or AI) could use to shoot and stun other pirates if he digs one up. Or maybe kegs of gunpowder that the player could bury which explode when dug up. You could have a little animation of the explodee swaying side to side with his clothes in rags around his waist (like a grass skirt) with a bit of hula music playing, a la Tom and Jerry.

I don't know how'd you'd integrate these ideas with the controls, AI and marvellously simple gameplay you've got already but they would add another dynamic and more options for varying the levels.

You could also have bottles of rum that reverse the controls for the player/AI that digs them up for a while. If a second bottle is dug up while under the influence the pirate could wander around randomly for a bit, muttering and shaking his fists at trees and other pirates before falling asleep for a short while. It might hardly ever happen but it'd be funny little surprise when it did.

Just ideas if you're looking for any, but it's a really nice game as it stands. Good job, mate.

Algo(Posted 2003) [#8]
Cheers Simian,

Those are really good ideas! I especially like the idea of hiding the kegs of gunpowder as traps. Whether it'd be better for them to explode on a timer, when another player walks over it or digs it up I'm not sure.

I thought of using bottles of rum that messed up your controls for a while, not shaking fists at trees and muttering though, that would be a laugh. :) Maybe there could be a kebab item that if found and eaten would make you sick and throw up, but if found while drunk you'd turn invincible.

Keep the good ideas coming.

Simian(Posted 2003) [#9]
No worries ALG, glad you like them. I had another idea earlier on too.

Each pirate could have a parrot which squawks 'Pieces of eight! Pieces of eight!' when he digs up some coins. That could attract unwanted attention and manic digging action where it's least welcome.

It might be tricky to balance it so that the pirate who finds them doesn't lose too much of an advantage for finding them by it turning into too big a free-for-all, but then the island's quite large and it'd take the other pirates a bit of time to descend on him.

It could also add a tactical element when the player thinks he's close to the treasure. A shrewd player would wait for the other pirates to get as far as away as possible before digging where he might find coins to limit the effects of having the gaff blown by his loudmouth parrot.

LOL at the kebab idea BTW!

Algo(Posted 2003) [#10]
Good idea, I was thinking of displaying some descriptive text for each item as it's dug up, but a parrot could just squawk the name of the item, which would be more in keeping with the theme.

But it would mean making a tit of myself trying to sound like a parrot.

Simian(Posted 2003) [#11]
But it would mean making a tit of myself trying to sound like a parrot.

There is that. You've got to suffer for your art though.

Zo Zo Zee Zar(Posted 2003) [#12]
Hey this game is fun - enjoyed it a lot.

Leszek(Posted 2008) [#13]
Screen is very good but link don't work :(

Can you give me a new link where I can download a booty game ?

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#14]
this thread is 4 years old
perhaps the file and or the website no longer exist

Leszek(Posted 2008) [#15]
i know but you maybe play it.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#16]
I do wish threads would automatically lock if they don't get any replies for X months.

That way I wouldn't have read the first six replies before I noticed the thread was nearly half a decade old.

markcw(Posted 2008) [#17]
He's still around so maybe you could ask him for a copy.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#18]
Slightly annoying, as i though this had just come out. How do people even find threads this old :o) Must have alot of spare time.

Algo(Posted 2008) [#19]
4 Years!

I've put it here if you want it.

markcw(Posted 2008) [#20]
To be precise this thread was posted on 30 August 2003.

Coolness, thanks Algo! 4 more years! :)

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#21]
Wow, its Night Of The Living Thread!

Talking of booty, anyone remember this :)

Was this long gone link to a remake mabe?

Leszek(Posted 2008) [#22]

It reall good game :)

in my opinion

graphics 3/6
algorythm 6/6
music - :(

thank for it

WERDNA(Posted 2008) [#23]
Its fun!

I agree with every thing that everyone said concerning additions to
your game, such as more items ect.

But I have a suggestion of my own.
Online Play.
Online play would be awesome, along with more islands that you
can play at.

But great game Algo, I look forward to the next version.

The Mighty WERDNA(Lord Of Suggestions)

Beaker(Posted 2008) [#24]
I remember the Spectrum Booty. Can't remember if it was any good tho. :)

UnderwoodNullium(Posted 2008) [#25]
Hmm, da Booty is nice! ;)

Leszek(Posted 2008) [#26]
As write it be after table your digging game so as. It try and it does not leave me.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#27]
As write it be after table your digging game so as. It try and it does not leave me.
I couldn't have put it better myself.

markcw(Posted 2008) [#28]
Translated to Polish by Google:

Jak napisac go po swojej tabeli kopanie gra tak. Nalezy sprobowac i nie opuszczaja mnie.

And then back to English:

How do I write it on your table so digging game. Try and do not leave me.

Leszek(Posted 2008) [#29]
sorry but I bad translated

I have a solution for my problem.