Rate the scenery

Community Forums/Showcase/Rate the scenery

abacadabad(Posted 2003) [#1]
hi,
This is the scenery ill be using, it is a terrain with a blank 1024x1024 bitmap which automatically paints a tropical island onto any heightmap...any suggestions on the paint scheme? The background will be changed so ignore that :-p

[img ]

Nebula(Posted 2003) [#2]
I would add something to identify the scale with. Maybe some mountains or something or get more detail in the texture so you see it is a island. Currently the green looks a little bit like grass.

It looks ok.

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#3]
For want on not hijacking this thread... take a look at my terrain shader 2 app (in my sig).

Apologies for the pimpage.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2003) [#4]
verrry niiice pimpage...

--Mike

Skitchy(Posted 2003) [#5]
Terrain Shader 2 - When and how much?! Looks amazing. :)

Does the texture on a terrain have to 'loop' or can each point on said terrain have its own 'look' ie. a patch of grass in the middle, snow on the mountains, rock to the east, sand to the west... all blended as in the screenshots above?

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#6]
Skitchy, email me, or start a new thread please, I've hi-jacked this one enough.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#7]
abacadabad - (one more nickname I prefere to copy/paste :) ) Your Topo-Painter is looking very well! since I studied satelite images a lot I know that these Pictures are looking very realistic. It cold be bahamas. I like it very much! How about to flightsim over that landscape, discover a sunken city and start a diving session over there? :)

abacadabad(Posted 2003) [#8]
Hi again,
Thanks for all your feedback! Ill post the code when it gets more refined...I have made some more adjustments, heres a pic;

[img http://www.imagestation.com/mypictures/inbox/view.html?id=4214803767&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.imagestation.com%2Fpicture%2Fsraid77%2Fp0f12b14c1163e137510cc1883ad23a1b%2Ffb38cd37.jpg&caption=comp2 ]

This only shows about 1/100 of the total map size, and soon Ill add detail textures for the grassy area. This is going to be used for a Sims meets RTS game in a tropical archipelago, and later on I'll add trees (especially palms :-))rocks and other islandy stuff randomly on the map, whihc will make the texture directly below it change colour depending on whats going on above it (for example, people walking around will over time mke it lighter, forests will make it darker, fires etc. will burn it)

Any more suggestions would be great!