Tin Cans - screenshots and download

Community Forums/Showcase/Tin Cans - screenshots and download

Rottbott(Posted 2003) [#1]
My latest project. I might actually finish this one (shock! horror!). It's been moving really fast, only been working on it a few days and it's already over half done codewise!

Anyway it's about submarines and sneaking around underwater shooting holes in other submarines and stuff. Pretty fun anyway. This demo is a 1.6 MB download. Features incredible* graphics and stupendous** sounds by me. Please give it a go - I need feedback!

Download and large screenshots - Click Here

Read the readme first or you'll lose. It's quite tricky. And one more thing.. you'll probably need a beefy machine to run it - there aren't any options yet to turn down graphics like particles etc. It runs fine on my Athlon XP 2400+ with a Geforce 3, but I recommend at least a 1GHz CPU and Geforce 2 card. I'd be interested to hear how it runs on lower setups though.

* Different
** Very weird

ckob - Can't imagine why that might be. Works OK here. Try again.. I've moved it so a different server.

ckob(Posted 2003) [#2]
page not available

Rottbott(Posted 2003) [#3]
Update - A day or two later, I've just put the code in for missions and added the first four missions to do, so there's a new demo (I've updated the link above). Also fixed a bunch of bugs and stuff. Hopefully someone might one day look at this thread...

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#4]
That's looking good. Maybe the Sprites need some polish. The blue atmosphere gives it a fresh ambiance.

SSS(Posted 2003) [#5]
this game is alot of fun!!!
more missions

Rottbott(Posted 2003) [#6]
Thanks jfk :) I think the explosion particles need to be quite a bit bigger, I'm concerned about speed loss due to fillrate though. The bubble I did in 15 seconds in Paint so I agree it could be better :) I'll see what I can do.

SSS, thanks for your comment :) I'm adding missions as quickly as I think of 'em. Up to 5 at the moment, plus a few more quirky things fixed. And I've got an idea for a 6th and 7th mission. Eventually there'll be 20 missions in Ivan's Arctic, plus another ten on a new map called Just Deserts. It will, unsurprisingly, be a very sandy level.

skn3(Posted 2003) [#7]
Looks cool. I would fix the smoothing groups on that army hut/igloo building. (that tear near the top of the door)

Rottbott(Posted 2003) [#8]
I'd love to, but I don't know how! Milkshape 3D does all sorts of funny things with smoothing that I can't quite understand.

LineOf7s(Posted 2003) [#9]
I won't comment on the game, as I'll presume it's an alpha release and has much more work to be done (tbh, there's quite a list of issues gameplay-wise - but hey, it's your game).

However, you were interested in how it performed on lower-spec machines - that I can help you out with to some degree. There's no (apparent) ability to show FPS, but I can tell you that running on the machine listed below in my sig, the game was more than playable - in fact, I can't imagine how it could be any smoother or faster. So in that respect, good job! :o)

AuzingLG(Posted 2003) [#10]
Nice.

Rottbott(Posted 2003) [#11]
I am interested in your comments on gameplay issues, 7s! It's by no means a finished thingy but to perfect the gameplay I need people's input, so if you've got any criticisms please voice them :-)

Glad it runs nicely.

Doggie(Posted 2003) [#12]
I might suggest a different name. Tin Cans in naval parlance refers to destroyers. Submariners are BubbleHeads.

QM3 Doggie
USS Gray FF-1054
USN 1979-1983

Rottbott(Posted 2003) [#13]
They really use the phrase 'Tin Cans'?

Didn't know that. I like the name though...

Doggie(Posted 2003) [#14]
To be honest, it's kind of outdated. It was probably a lot more common in WW2. But, yeah, it's used to refer to destroyers.

Doggie

googlemesilly(Posted 2003) [#15]
help !
i haven't been able to run about two
programs . it says 'unable to set graphics'
what do i do ? (including this demo)

thanks ! '

S/D

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#16]
It could be that the App wants to use a Bit depth your Card don't support. I think it was 32 Bit on some GeForce which want 24 Bit instead?

Rottbott - probably you should use a Config-File to set the resolution. Someting like

re=readfile("res.txt")
w=readline(re)
h=readline(re)
d=readline(re)
win=readline(re)
closefile re

graphics3d w,h,d,win

and in the file res.txt:

800 ; screen width
600 ; screen height
16 ; color resolution bits
2 ; 2=windowed, 1= fullscreen

Note the comments after the semicolon will not mess the values up.

bazziman(Posted 2003) [#17]
If you need help with those bubbles/bitmaps mail me at

bazziman#hotmail.com

I did a quick 'test' and they can sure use a bit of improvement.

portfolio:

www.vandewerk.nl/portfolio

googlemesilly(Posted 2003) [#18]
thanks jfk

Rottbott(Posted 2003) [#19]
jfk, I DO use such a config file :)

Sunshine Dreamer, find the config file and fiddle with the settings. It's called Settings.ini in the same directory as the executable. I suggest setting the bit depth to 16 instead of 32, if that doesn't work try using 640*480 or 1024*768 resolution instead of 800*600. And turn antialiasing off if it's on.

googlemesilly(Posted 2003) [#20]
thanks very much Rottbott,
I will try that. I can't wait to try this demo !

S/D

googlemesilly(Posted 2003) [#21]
Cool !
It works now ! thanks ! I will give you my feedback soon !!

S/D