Suave update

Community Forums/Showcase/Suave update

Al Mackey(Posted 2003) [#1]
Here's the latest screenshots from my tank game in development, which I've decided to call S.U.A.V.E. (Sport-Utility Assault Vehicle EXTREME!!!!) I've been working on this practically every day for over a month now.

It's now got 5 working weapon pods (vulcan (upper screenshot), nuke, flamethrower, tesla coil (lower screenshot), and plasma shotgun) plus the tank's built-in cannon. Also it finally has enemies that can fight back, in the form of two kinds of turrets, one of which uses the same weapon pods on you. Still to do are moving enemies and the level editor.

GfK(Posted 2003) [#2]
Nice.

Any chance of a demo?? :)

MadJack(Posted 2003) [#3]
Al

That's really looking primo Al - particularly that bottom shot with the tesla coil electro death kind of cannon.

(Of course I'm also concerned that this is competition for Tank Universal ;-) )

Looking forward to a demo.

Al Mackey(Posted 2003) [#4]
I do hope to have a demo soon, but before I do that I want to get the board editor to a usable state so I can make something with it that plays well, and more importantly, finitely. Right now it uses a very stupid but infinite random board generator. I've got the editor to the point where it can define rooms and doors, but not the things in the rooms yet, so hopefully it won't be too long.

I'm not sure what kind of game Tank Universal is, but mine's not an average tank/artillery game.. in fact you can't even pitch the turret up or down. It's more like a first-person shooter on wheels. Er, treads. Without the first person.

dangerdave(Posted 2003) [#5]
Looks great! Great unconventional tank design.

Does it drive like a tank or like a car? (Indepedant tread movement?)

Al Mackey(Posted 2003) [#6]
The control scheme is like a car, but the treads do move independantly to the best approximation of the input. Typically the left hand moves the tank (either with the WASD keys or a joystick) and the right hand rotates and fires the turret (with the mouse or another joystick). PS2-like joypads with dual analog sticks work great for me, but people used to FPS-type games seem to prefer the KB/Mouse.

The first moving enemy is in.. a bumbling patrol droid.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#7]
great! cool fx!

dangerdave(Posted 2003) [#8]
Awesome!
Looks great.
The way they drive wouldn't matter to me. Would be fun either way.

The screenshots look like fun!