Sphere Racer Demo now available

Community Forums/Showcase/Sphere Racer Demo now available

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#1]

A screaming race around, up, down and across hills. Play Sphere Racer to take charge of a powerful orb.

In this fast paced race you will compete over five worlds, powering up to better your lap times and improve your performance.

Race against nine computer contolled rivals in single races or championship mode.

In the full version there are 25 tracks over 5 worlds, and 4 levels of difficulty. The demo only has the first 2 tracks from the first world.

* 10 different orbs to race
* 25 race tracks over 5 worlds
* Power-ups
* Realistic physics
* Screamingly fast

Download Here

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#2]
sexy , its is.
the main thing that annoyed me was that its too easy to come off the track.
like the speed, like the music , fun to play, but wasn't too impressed with the tracks i saw, needs more variation. but there again I haven't seen the full version.

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#3]
Ruz, looks at the overview maps in the bottom right of the screenshots... they get much more interesting! I've written 10 music tracks for the game so there's plenty of music there. To stop coming off the top of the track you have to slow down on the corners!

How to get round corners fast: If you're turning left, get up high on the right hand side bank then cut down and across the corner. Once you get the hang of that you'll get round easier. Also, start steering early. If you're rolling towards the top either ease off the accelerator or indeed hit the brakes if necessary.

wedoe(Posted 2003) [#4]
Top stuff ! :)

Neuro(Posted 2003) [#5]
Wow, either I must suck big time or the control isnt working....but the game is fast and intense! I got lost a few times racing the other balls....but for some strange reason Wedoe always wins...

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2003) [#6]
I flew of the track after picking up a powerbooster, then all turned black except the red dots in the lower right corner, racer placements and the text in the lower left corner.

Music was still playing.

Only way out was to press Q.

Must be a little bug!

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#7]
Hi,

I agree the controls are a bit iffy, but overall it's an enjoyable experience. I didn't really like the menu system... Sure for the main menu it works a charm, but when you have to choose resolution and can only choose between a number of identical cubes, it makes no sense at all. Also it seemed to show me the credits randomly when I had altered some setting.

Oh, and mysteriously the gamma tuning stayed after I quit the game, leaving my windows all whited out and useless... Probably some freak accident but annoying none the less.

Anyways, good job!

Fredborg

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#8]
I flew of the track after picking up a powerbooster, then all turned black except the red dots in the lower right corner, racer placements and the text in the lower left corner.
Umm... Never come across that one... What are your specs?
Also it seemed to show me the credits randomly when I had altered some setting.
Explain!?
Oh, and mysteriously the gamma tuning stayed after I quit the game, leaving my windows all whited out and useless... Probably some freak accident but annoying none the less.
Yep, I think that's a freak thing!

Keep the comments coming so I can tune this!

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#9]
Also it seemed to show me the credits randomly when I had altered some setting.

Explain!?
For instance when I set the sound volume. The (not so explanatory) cones shrink in then out again, I hit return once again (like the stupid git I am), and voila the credits appear. Same thing goes for most of the other settings.

And the gamma thing was just a freak accident, at least it hasn't happened again.

I think the greatest problem with the game is that I drive like poop, flying off the track constantly, and yet manages to win every race by a huge margin. Still I like it, for some reason ;)

Fredborg

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#10]
Double post :(

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#11]
Just tested the setting volume thing and I get it too... I'll just go fix it!

I think the greatest problem with the game is that I drive like poop, flying off the track constantly, and yet manages to win every race by a huge margin. Still I like it, for some reason ;)
The demo is set on Medium difficulty... The game has 4 levels of difficulty; Easy, Medium, Hard, and Very Hard.

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2003) [#12]
(Umm... Never come across that one... What are your specs?)

My specs:

Athlon 2500+ (Barton)
512 MB ram
GeForce4 4200 Ti 128 MB

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#13]
TGD, it sounds to me like you're loosing all the 3D bits, your specs look fine, does this happen every time or was it a one off?

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#14]
can I be cheeky and ask , was it the intention to race spheres from the start, or was it jsut that spheres were easier to model/texture.not that I am complaining, just wondering.

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#15]
A bit of both really Ruz. I was playing around with physics, an so I decided to work out ball physics (as it's nice and easy to model). Anyway, after I'd got it all sorted I wonder what to do with that I had... And Sphere Racer was born.

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#16]
coolness, I enjoyed playing it .
I was just playing taz wanted on the ps2 and there is a bit where daffy and taz are racing each other in kind of rolling ball cages. steered like crap though.

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2003) [#17]
(TGD, it sounds to me like you're loosing all the 3D bits, your specs look fine, does this happen every time or was it a one off?)

I just tried it this one time!