Singularity 3.01 posted

Community Forums/Showcase/Singularity 3.01 posted

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#1]
http://www.leadwerks.com/Singularity301.zip (1.6 mb, no .exe)

The source is free to use for any purpose, but any modification of the source must be made available to the public, unless I agree otherwise.

This version adds projector shadows (very beta) and three weapons. To access the pulse rifle, you must purchase the "auto-shotgun" model from metalearth.com.

The projector shadows work by projecting a pyramid out from a point entity, and recontructing a shadow mesh from the pieces of the level that this pyramid slices out. Vertex texture coordinates don't seem to be assigning quite right, and the shadow is bent in some places. Back-facing surfaces are not yet removed. Once these issues are resolved, shadow effects will be applied to the weapons, so that when you walk into a shadowed area, the shadow is projected onto your weapon. Hopefully members of the community will help refine this routine.

I am very happy with the look and feel of the weapons I have done, though the arc welder impact marks could use something more. I was thinking it would be cool to have a display like the rocket launcher has, but bigger, on a sniper rifle scope. There could be a level where the lights go out, and all you have to rely on is a full-bright sniper scope in a really dark area.

The floating platforms were something I added just for rocket-jumping fun. I still haven't made it to the top. In case you're unfamiliar with the technique, you point your gun at the ground, and jump and shoot at about the same time, jumping just a little bit first. The rocket launcher will also repel you in mid-air, so you can use that if you overshoot your target.

Nebula(Posted 2003) [#2]
The zip is corrupt

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#3]
Still uploading...

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#4]
Up now. For some reason it was moving at like 1 kb/s.

Dave(Posted 2003) [#5]
This thing dosent work Halo, it wont work at all, i keep getting errors about the "emitters" (i think thats it...). I have the latest blitz3d...

Dave(Posted 2003) [#6]
my mistake the error appears with "pointinbox".

granada(Posted 2003) [#7]
hi halo

i get error, funtcnion `pointinbox` not found,what am i
doing wrong

dave

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#8]
You need to set up the userlibs.

Copy all the .decls and .dll files into the userlibs b3d userlib directory and everything works fine.

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#9]
It's also worth looking at the lighting effect on the weapon as well. You don't get that kind of effect from Blitz lights. The weapon responds correctly to the light area it is in.

Dave(Posted 2003) [#10]
Right...short review so far on your work Josh..

The Update is EXCELLENT! I honestly feel like the weapons do feel right in the way they move (while walking) and also the fire rate. The level was obviously thrown togther very quickly, but it shows off that neat lighting effect well.

Whats next update 'wise' for the engine? Their are obvious things that could be done including the following :

- AI Bots for basic FPS play
- Physics Implimentation for moving entities (for example being able to shoot down boxes, etc). Nothing too complex (i.e. not HL2).
- Better level to show everything off.
- Rob's "cubed" water effect? Need to wait for update though.
- Multiplayer Code
- Weapon Pickups

Obviously i can see what you are trying to achieve with an open architecture like your engine, so i these are just a few ideas i wanted to put forward.

Tell me what updates you have planned?

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#11]
Why not Half-Life 2 physics? I am going to add in boxy collision and chains/tubes.

A lot of work can still be done with shadows.

I am going to finish up weapons, as many as I can get models for.

I have no plans to do multiplayer, even in the final game, at least not in the first title.

Portal occlusion still needs to be implemented. (Code exists, but it's just not in the engine yet.)

Then I'll probably make a flashy demo incorporating everything and pimp it to publishers to see if I can get some money to pay for the rest of the game artwork and models. I mean the engine is just about finished and ready to be used for a game. There's not a whole lot more left to code.

c5ven(Posted 2003) [#12]
gave it a try. locks me up. best i got was i walked a few steps, then the 'puter froze up. three hard reboots.

i have issues with lots of blitz games, so this isn't surprising. guessing my CAD-specific video card, even with latest drivers, just isn't cutting it.

Smurfpuss(Posted 2003) [#13]
well i must say that it is great i like the weaopn fx the 2nd gun i like the most having a small view in the sniper sight really cool like the shadow fx i only have one Q? when making a map how do i place entitys in cshop3 so that
singularity knows what it is

RifRaf(Posted 2003) [#14]
Im with Smurfpuss here, Halo could you put together an Entity Type list, with availbale values so that we can use Cshop to its fullest with your engine?

Thanks for the code, top stuff. I get strange effect with the rotating shadow effect, but otehrwise works great.

Smurfpuss(Posted 2003) [#15]
hi josh i am having some problems in cshop 3.02 with the lightmap calc functions i get a lightmap file output error

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#16]
Why don't you look at the LoadEntity.bb file for entity values. You can also add your own, of course.

Smurfpuss(Posted 2003) [#17]
yes but how about the lightmap output error in cshop

Smurfpuss(Posted 2003) [#18]
like lightmap calc have not worked in version 3.01 or 3.02

RifRaf(Posted 2003) [#19]
I also have to enter my reg code every time I laod Cshop 3, and I have had several errors that crashed the program without allowing me to save.. Need a fix for reg prob though as its very annoying.

Smurfpuss(Posted 2003) [#20]
well i hade the same problem beffore using cshop3.02 but i removed the cs.txt file in windows dir
and installed the demo and then the path to 3.01 full and then the 3.02 path with out starting the app atfter that i installed the 3.01 path and only ran cshop when it was pathed to 3.02 and enterd the regkey then it worked for me

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#21]
3.02 fixed this.

Smurfpuss(Posted 2003) [#22]
yes but how about my light mapping problem josh

Doiron(Posted 2003) [#23]
After triggering a while with Cartography Shop and the Singularity engine, I came across a few questions:

- There is an easy way to "unload" a world?

- where do you store material information such as multitexturing, metal shininess and the such in a loaded level?

After loading the example map from the first release of Singularity with Cartography shop, I noticed that there aren't additional keys in the objects' properties, so I was wondering how did you set it.