village pics

Community Forums/Showcase/village pics

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#1]
Here is the latest update on my demo.
Got one directional light in + ambient light. The entire body of the village is one mesh(8,800polys)
vertex lit manually in max4

I have to replace some of the buildings as they are too boxy, but its getting better which is the main thing.

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#2]
hey, pretty nice, may i suggest tho that you split the mesh into smaller ones, because blitz will render 8000 polys regardless of how much of the mesh is showing. this will enable you to put more detail in as well. :D

ErikT(Posted 2003) [#3]
I like the use of textures; slick, clean and varied without getting messy or boring. Nice colours too. Those flowers kinda look like they hover above ground, though. And what're garden flowers doing out in the middle of the street anyway?

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#4]
Yeah, the flowers are growing throught the cracks in the pavement,persistent litle devils they are.
have to fix the floating flowers too, won't take long

But I will be breaking up that pavement texture soon/so its kind of half cobble/soil/dirt.I may even jsut do 'flower pots' in the street
re the detail, i think when i have finsished it will be fairly detailed.
in future I will work differently, I mean modelling the inside of buildings is a pain( portals would be nice)
overall it would have been easier to do a terrain, with building on it rather then like this, where the whole thing is a 'static mesh'.

ckob(Posted 2003) [#5]
looks nice, We have towns like this in the servant if you enjoy this type of stuff :)

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#6]
Thanks, cKob
yeh your buildings are quite similar to mine.I might replace the tiled roofs on mine with thatched ones soon

ckob(Posted 2003) [#7]
yeah we ended up replacing ours with hay like textures to give it that realistic look

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#8]
tiles are very hard to get right. I made some slate textures in pshop which work well, but they are not really suitable for this look.They casue a bit of 'strobing' too

Beeps(Posted 2003) [#9]
wow, just saw this, looks great! the only thing that needs removing is the mad gardener who over pruned that tree ;)

smilertoo(Posted 2003) [#10]
8000 for a village is good, i used 10,000 for 1 house

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#11]
Then how come my level plays so slow. there is lots of graphical'tearing' too. Is there any way to make the level play faster/smoother. im am using 128 textures now, apart from 64 for the leaves.
Does blitz render just whats in view or evrything in the scene .

he he beeps, the tree looks a bit threadbare I agree. the problem is theey are not 'two sided' like they should be. i can't find a flag to make textures two sided.

Actually a mad gardener could be cool

poopla(Posted 2003) [#12]
You could use findchild and entityfc(16) (I think it's 16), to make the tree double sided on polygons, or at least the leaves.

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#13]
sorry Dev , could you explain that in more detail please, I am quite new to blitz still, cheers

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#14]
sorry Dev , could you explain that in more detail please, I am quite new to blitz still, cheers
anyway, here is a little update.

still looking for programming help if anyones interested

Red Ocktober(Posted 2003) [#15]
That overview shot looks great RUZ... reminds me of Medal of Honor... only none of the building are smoking rubble :)

I love a game with a believable virtual environment...

--Mike

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#16]
Thanks , just a shame I haven't any programming skills, then i could conquer the world.

I have a musician now, but no programmer.I was thinking that the player could be a bee which has to collect pollen from the flowers and take to to a collection point. you can score points this way.or something.
This level was actually part of a mod( pearman) at planet unreal) .This is just me finishing off what didn't get done in the mod, but i would like make a game out of it too.

RifRaf(Posted 2003) [#17]
any chance of an explorable demo?

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#18]
well i could just upload it as is , so you can look around it, but there is no gameplay at all yet.
Is there anywhere to upload stuff BTW?

RifRaf(Posted 2003) [#19]
Not sure about here.. But I would like to se eit you can email to me if you like. Coffeebuzz25@...

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#20]
hmm, its a tad too big to email. Give a while and I will sort something out.I have web space on planet unreal, so i will upload it there and give you my ftp details