BMP Fontlib

Community Forums/Showcase/BMP Fontlib

cyberseth(Posted 2003) [#1]
http://www.blitzcoder.com/cgi-bin/showcase/showcase_showentry.pl?id=cyberseth05162003013142&comments=no

It may not be as good or flashy as FONText but for £0.00 who can argue? BMP Fontlib is a great tool for creating and using variable-width bitmap fonts in your game. It comes with a font designer written in BlitzPlus and a host of functions for displaying bitmap fonts both in 2D and 3D. Wrapped text, single-surface meshes, and plenty of functions to easily include into any game!

wedoe(Posted 2003) [#2]
Cool stuff Cyber, the freewaretool the non-Fontext users need.
I only miss a zoomfunction so the letters can be better inspected before saving.

Sir_LANs-a-lot(Posted 2003) [#3]
You could perhaps use the Windows "Magnifier" as an alternative for close inspection?

btw - Great stuff CYBERSETH :)

EDIT:
Oh, after unzipping and loading, all the demo stuff is displayed as a garbled mess :(

I've tried it on a Win98 box with onboard SavagePro gfx card and also WinXP with a GeForce4 Ti 4600 - both has the same results...

I don't think I've done anything wrong =/

If you load up the font editor, the fonts are displayed correctly in that and the demos don't crash, but all the text in them is garbled....

Re-EDIT:
Dammit!
I post that above and try the StarWars scrolly and Cylinder demos and they both work on my GeForce4 - but the bmptest.bb demo still doesn't..

Hnnf!

cyberseth(Posted 2003) [#4]
Thanks for the feedback.

Could you post or send me a screenshot? (cybersethxp@...) I can't recreate any garbled text. The only thing is that at the bottom of the screen there are some garbled characters but they were only to show off the (then new) extended character support. The text in the centre of the page can be width-adjusted by moving the mouse.

Perhaps I should have explained all this in the demo.

simonh(Posted 2003) [#5]
Excellent work! I have FONText but this is a nice alternative as it has a couple of features FONText doesn't.

bmptest.bb is also slightly garbled here though. Here's a pic:

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#6]
I get the saem problem as above. Also the font loading (in the editor) doesn't appear to be working properly (I'm sure it did once though?).

wedoe(Posted 2003) [#7]
Example 1 and 3 look fine.
But I get same as SI on the second one.....

hub(Posted 2003) [#8]
Idem here !

R0B0T0(Posted 2003) [#9]
Same problem here (WinXP, GeForce4 Ti 4200, DX9)

cyberseth(Posted 2003) [#10]
OOOOPS! There was an error in the bmpfont.bb file when loading v3d fonts. I've uploaded a new version now. If you don't want to download it again, you should be able to correct it by copying the LoadBMPFont function from the bmpfont3d.bb file to the bmpfont.bb file.

Sir_LANs-a-lot(Posted 2003) [#11]
Hi Seth,

I've tried the new version and the first demo (2D) works OK on my SavagePro (on-board gfx) with Win98/DX9 but the two 3D demos are still garbled...

NB. How do you paste images into this board? (Cheers Si)

R0B0T0(Posted 2003) [#12]
All works fine here now,

Thanks

simonh(Posted 2003) [#13]
NB. How do you paste images into this board?

Just type the URL.

simonh(Posted 2003) [#14]
I've tried the new version and the first demo (2D) works OK on my SavagePro (on-board gfx) with Win98/DX9 but the two 3D demos are still garbled...

This might have something to do with texture sizes. The texture size for the font is 256x512, and I'm guessing that your card only supports textures in size up to 256x256.

Dragon57(Posted 2003) [#15]
Works fine here and great job!

cyberseth(Posted 2003) [#16]
Yeah there have been no other report of problems with the 3D one so it's most likely a card compatibility problem, and not allowing big textures. To test the 3D demo, open up the 3D font in the font creator and then scale it down so that the font size is less than 256x256.

By the way, why not use the Print Screen button to take screenshots? If that doesn't work, use this BlitzPlus app!

Sir_LANs-a-lot(Posted 2003) [#17]
Will try that Seth and report back..!

:)

Sir_LANs-a-lot(Posted 2003) [#18]
Hmm :(

After loading up the 3DArial font in FontCreator, scaling it down to 256,256 and trying to save it as a texture, FC just crashes.

EDIT:
Freaky - I fired up FC with the default font, scaled that down to 256,256 and it saved OK which also corrected the corruption problem!

Thanks for the help guys!

:)

AuzingLG(Posted 2003) [#19]
Great work! I'm going to use this library in my next game.

AuzingLG(Posted 2003) [#20]
Is the fontlib compatible to DataPak (the Packer from Lee)?