Blitz Fishies tech demo.

Community Forums/Showcase/Blitz Fishies tech demo.

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#1]
Okay, you may have seen my fish model...

I've animated it, given it fishy inteligence(!), and given it a bunch of friends to swim about with...

Monkey around in the ini file for screen res, gamma, particles, etc.

Download here

Dave(Posted 2003) [#2]
wow :) this looks ace Rob! You gonna make a game from this? I'm suprised no one has made a game where you control a fish

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#3]
The fish in the last screenshot looks like it has just farted - but great stuff, really! :)

I have no DL'ed this yet... are those caustics moving (both surface & bottom)?

simonh(Posted 2003) [#4]
Looks great, but regarding what Dave said, I think it's always a bad idea to base a game around a model, and not vice versa.

Would you mind if this was made available directly from this site? I'm thinking of creating a small section showcasing some of the best Blitz tech demos (such as Rob's demo and some others).

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#5]
No problem Si.

Actually I created the fish for a game... I'm in the process of creating a bunch of others too.

Zo Zo Zee Zar(Posted 2003) [#6]
OOO - looks corking to me :)

SopiSoft(Posted 2003) [#7]
This is really a great tech demo!!!
It runs smooth in 1280x1024x32 mode.
My system specs are in my sig. in case you wanna know!

Tip: You should Multi-texture the terrain with the water-texture and let it scroll smoothly...this would be a very cool caustic effect, if that's what it's called... ;-D

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#8]
Sopi, it's already multitexturing the terrain so adding another layer caused major lag, that's why it's not doing it!

SopiSoft(Posted 2003) [#9]
ow, too bad, such a reflection would have looked cool though...

Shambler(Posted 2003) [#10]
Very nice!

About the caustic effect Sopi mentioned, you could make this a user selectable option to make it look even more cool if the users hardware can handle it.

wedoe(Posted 2003) [#11]
Great stuff Dr. Av, better than most fish-screensavers.
I'm impressed :)

smilertoo(Posted 2003) [#12]
I have a game design that involves various fish.

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#13]
Just updated the demo, it now has Caustic effects, more fish types, plants, clouds... and other stuff... it looks much prettier now anyway...

Download Here

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#14]
The seond one does look nicer. The caustics make quite a bit of difference. You should scale the camera as well. Use a sin wave motion and you can get a nice distorted look.

Synchronist(Posted 2003) [#15]
First rate Dr.Av! The texturing on the fish and sea floor is wonderful and the AI amazing!

One observation I would like to make. Generally speaking, you don't see fish giving off bubbles... However, gas does escape from the sea floor and bubbles to the surface quite frequently. I'm basing my comment on 16 years of scuba diving experience. Not knocking your work...

Wonderful demo!

SopiSoft(Posted 2003) [#16]
WOW!!! the second one looks freakin good with all the caustic effects!!! well done!!! ;-D

Ice9(Posted 2003) [#17]
You get a line and I'll get a pole, honey
You get a line and I'll get a pole, babe
You get a line and I'll get a pole and I'll
meet you down at the crawdad hole
sugar honey darlin babe.

Ice9(Posted 2003) [#18]
I have a suggestion for your Camera.
do a Sin effect scaling the the camera X Y Z to cause that
warpy underwater camera

Ice9(Posted 2003) [#19]
Speaking of Warpy what ever happend to him?

wedoe(Posted 2003) [#20]
...you don't see fish giving off bubbles...
Yes you do, fish fart too ! :P

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#21]
Generally speaking, you don't see fish giving off bubbles
Yeah I know... But I need something to give the impression of moving the water when accelerating... Suggestions welcome.

Puppy... I'll give the camera thing a go.

LineOf7s(Posted 2003) [#22]
Interviews with the creators of Finding Nemo said they included three specific things to give the impression that things were underwater:

1) light filtering onto the objects and sea-floor in a 'shining through water' sorta way
2) "The camera thing" that Binary_Moon and LilPuppy suggested
3) Particulate matter spread (somewhat) evenly throughout the water. Perhaps this could replace your bubbles as an indicator of movement?

Red Ocktober(Posted 2003) [#23]
Hey Doc...that was pretty good.

Thanks

--Mike

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#24]
Great! I guess you could sell this in japan. Especially if you use some of those (forgot name) huge & expensive japanese goldfishes:
http://saturn.roswellpark.org/cmb/huberman/Kyoto-Pombe2002/source/goldfish.htm

Synchronist(Posted 2003) [#25]
"Particulate matter spread (somewhat) evenly throughout the water. Perhaps this could replace your bubbles as an indicator of movement?"

That's a good suggestion. It's very noticable when diving near the surface in August when there is a lot of "plankton bloom" going on. Small bits kind of "glide" past my face mask and if the surface is choppy, they undulate up and down a bit.

But of course, this is an aquarium. A seemingly HUGE aquarium none the less! 8^)

The other thing I can think of is to animate the dorsal fins along the back of the fish a bit. The dorsal fin generally tends to move slightly to the opposite side of the fish from the tail as they move through the water at the lower speeds. The pectoral fins also tend to lay back along the sides of the fish as well when they speed up.

"huge & expensive japanese goldfishes:" Koi

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#26]
cool. The Caustics/ enviornmental reflections are a good effect.What it really needs is some articulated reeds... oh sure, you could animate them, bu tit wouldn't look to great. How about some verlet physics eh?? you don't really need much.... no gravity, no collisions, and no need for universiality.... hmmmm. You could even have them react to passing fish.... The only hard parts would be positioning the verts, getting good water-current based motion, and having them be affected by passing fish. Well, somthing to think on. I think articulated, non-repeating reads would make it much more believable.

poopla(Posted 2003) [#27]
I liked this alot.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2003) [#28]
coi... or coy... or coyasu :)

--Mike

EricZann(Posted 2003) [#29]
Great demo. And I loved the 'ZX Spectrum' loading screen!

cyberseth(Posted 2003) [#30]
I suppose if you wanted a really warpy fishy view you could render the scene to a texture, paint a sub-divided quad with the scene and then move all the vertices on the quad around in a Sin fashion.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#31]
Yeah, Koi - People told me atm in Japan everyone likes everyday Simulations like: virtual dog, virtual plant, virtual whatever. I guess they would love such a sim with "Kois", as a cross between cool Graphics and a Sotware Tamagotchi.

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#32]
very nice too, the caustics are cool.
Is it 'fin'ished yet,

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#33]
Are tech demos ever finished?!

I'm playing with my fish tonight!

assari(Posted 2003) [#34]
cool

LittleGreenSponge2D(Posted 2003) [#35]
Nice demo, just a few thoughts...

1) Schools of smaller fish
2) Fish eating/nibbling