PTK make games for mac too

Community Forums/Showcase/PTK make games for mac too

Patrox(Posted 2003) [#1]
Kind of like blitz but in C/C++

http://ptk.phelios.com

pat.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#2]
Kind of expensive, no? 250? and you cannot produce Retail Products, only Shareware. 4000$ if you want to sell Retail Versions? I hope Mark will not get any exorbitant Ideas after reading this ... Byside that - nice Crossplatform Philosophy.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2003) [#3]
Tis C/C++ 'ish, ill stick with basic. Realbasic is crossplatform and cheaper.

Neuro(Posted 2003) [#4]
damm....this guy charges for everything....

Jack_Norton(Posted 2003) [#5]
well I'm gonna use it.
It is much better than Blitzbasic in my opinion. I love mark sibly work, but after trying to make complex games like a soccer management, I found that writing it in C would be much easier. And don't be fooled: the fact that is C doesn't means that is like Torque... that one is really easy to use!
Realbasic cannot even compete with this one.
Prices aren't really high, if you remember blitz when went out was priced 150$. This one has already been tested in lot of games...
If I had this tool available before, I would have made 2 version (mac and pc) of my game changing ONE LINE of code... well worth 250$.
About the retail question... well you think you're so good to make a retail game? ;)
I prefer to make shareware anyway.

Patrox(Posted 2003) [#6]
"Kind of expensive, no? 250? and you cannot produce Retail Products, only Shareware. 4000$ if you want to sell Retail Versions?"

Well honestly 250 would be 1 day of sales of your first shareware, that's not that expensive for a library that took more than 2 years to get to this point.
4000$ for retail is not very expensive either, if some "so called distributor" bought the rights of your game for 500 or $1000 then I think you made a beginner's mistake. ( that happened to me too a while ago :( )
Check the licence of the video player of radge game tools, we're talking +20000$ just to play a video there, it's not even a complete game kit. ( Rahh this bink thing is fabulous, i need that!!! :op )

pat.

Jack_Norton(Posted 2003) [#7]
eheh follow his advice!

If a distributor gives you 1000$ (or even less!) for a good 2D game, he's gonna make twice that amount in one month (at least).
And you can make about same money if you sell it as shareware.
Of course you have to make some marketing operation (advertising on shareware websites, etc).

I myself has been cheated a lot of times...!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#8]
No, I did not make that Mistake, unlike a lot of other Blitz users here... Yes, some call them "Distributors", other people name them "Gangsters".

It is not shure that I will sell ever a Retail Version, but it is not impossible. Think big. Most people have way too little Ambitions. It will be hard to beat the top notch Game Engines, but Blitz still can competite the average Quality Engines. And there is BlitzMAX at the Horizon.

Some might spend a big lot of money for Tools - I don't. I never did. But I never felt like I wasted money for Blitz.

simonh(Posted 2003) [#9]
I like how the freeware version costs $5.

podperson(Posted 2003) [#10]
If you want sound cross-platform it will cost you $3000 ($2000 x 2 + 25% discount). This despite the fact that putting a cross-platform layer on top of DirectX audio and the audio libraries on OS X would probably take an experienced programmer maybe a day's work.

I'd say if you're starting development today, code in Blitz3D/Plus and for Mac support wait for Blitz Max -- it will probably crush this thing like a really really big crushing thing crushes little crunchy bug like things.

I'd also add that for 2D games, RealBasic is cheaper, gives you sound support, supports more graphics formats AND the same formats across platforms.

Dave(Posted 2003) [#11]
here are some shareware facts that ARE true because i did alot of research into the shareware market model.

For your total downloads 4.5% WILL buy the product, another 12% will get it via cracking it or stealing it (Warez) and the rest will just use the free version...

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#12]
Well honestly 250 would be 1 day of sales of your first shareware

That comment alone is enough to scare me out of taking you seriously. If you seriously think that the average person's first 2d shareware game will earn $250 on the first day, you have much to learn.

You would have to write something seriously special in order to make $250 on day one, not to mention the need for some great marketing.

I think quite frankly you're living in Cloud Cuckoo Land. The Quest3d engine is less than $1000 for the commercial version and has a very impressive 3d engine with shadows, pixel shaders, and very impressive render quality.

I do understand your comment about the amount of work, but unfortunately you can't price things according to the amount of work you put in. You have to be realistic and price according to your competitors.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#13]
It isn't that bad. Maybe it only needs a more flexible shareware License. Maybe the Compilers for both PC and Mac should be sold seperately. For this Price the 3D Part should be fully functional out of the box. And the Freeware Version should be for free.